Windows 10: Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop

Discus and support Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I have an old Acer laptop with win 10 Home build 1809. I'm guessing it's around 6 years old but it is 3.0 MHz i5 with 8 or 16 Gig. Not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by majbach, Oct 10, 2019.

1. majbach Win User

Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop

Hi everyone. I have an old Acer laptop with win 10 Home build 1809. I'm guessing it's around 6 years old but it is 3.0 MHz i5 with 8 or 16 Gig. Not surprisingly it's gets slower with time but now it's almost beyond usable. A scannow found corrupted files it was unable to fix and all my old restore points are also corrupted. A reboot takes about 15 minutes and even waking from sleep takes 10 minutes before right-clicking on the desktop doesn't result in a busy mouse cursor. Iv'e tried figuring out if theres a program or virus at fault but it's all very frustrating. I just want to reinstall clean.
    Somewhere around here I have a recovery USB I made when I got the laptop but I'm afraid it may be full of the bloatware that the laptop came with. There is also no Windows sticker on the underside but I am assuming the number I pulled using an app is the correct licencing number?
    I've got the drive partitioned into 3 parts as well. What are my options for a clean install without losing data and ideally drivers and apps? I only use this thing for watching TV anyway as I have a a skookum laptop for other stuff.
    Thanks

:)

majbach, Oct 10, 2019

2. Win 10 1803 to 1809 update

Quick footnote.

Used the suggested URL, downloaded and updated the Laptop to 1809 without any problems. Thanks

Arturo

arturox---01, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop

Win 10 1803 to 1809 update

Good day one and all.

My Desktop computer running Win 10 updated from version 1803 to 1809 a while back, but my laptop/notebook running Win 10 version 1803 (As of a Check for updates today 15 Nov 2018 6:30 AM) still hasn't updated to 1809.

I'm assuming the update 1803 to 1809 has now resumed after the earlier problems caused a suspension?

Updates in general on the laptop are coming through as available, for example, yesterday (14th Nov 2018) the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64 based Systems (KB4467702)" arrived and was installed okay.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

Arturo

arturox---01, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop

1. Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop - Similar Threads - Quick advice req'd

2. Quick setting is lagging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick setting is lagging: Hi,recently i noticed there is a delay when i click over the quick setting from task bar. when i click it shown the settings table, image but all the options are not active it takes a 3 sec to show up the setting. all the windows updates are up to dates...
  3. Quick setting is lagging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick setting is lagging: Hi,recently i noticed there is a delay when i click over the quick setting from task bar. when i click it shown the settings table, image but all the options are not active it takes a 3 sec to show up the setting. all the windows updates are up to dates...
  4. win 10 laptop sudden Lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 laptop sudden Lag: my laptop specs: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HGPU: RTX 2060 mobilesuddenly my pc CPU and GPU don't go above 50 % utilization at it effect fps in gamesit make opening folder take a longer time like a secondand opening an app take 2 secondsi tried to use system config to diagnostic startup...
  5. win 10 laptop sudden Lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 10 laptop sudden Lag: my laptop specs: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HGPU: RTX 2060 mobilesuddenly my pc CPU and GPU don't go above 50 % utilization at it effect fps in gamesit make opening folder take a longer time like a secondand opening an app take 2 secondsi tried to use system config to diagnostic startup...
  6. win 10 laptop sudden Lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Browsers for Win 10 advice

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers for Win 10 advice: Win 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.685 All browsers mentioned are the very latest, up to date. I seem to be constantly on the search for the 'perfect' browser! For a long time, I found that Edge was great but it began to cause odd issues on some sites. So I went with Google Chrome....
  8. Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick advice req'd on reinstalling Win 10 1809 on lagging laptop: Hi everyone. I have an old Acer laptop with win 10 Home build 1809. I'm guessing it's around 6 years old but it is 3.0 MHz i5 with 8 or 16 Gig. Not surprisingly it's gets slower with time but now it's almost beyond usable. A scannow found corrupted files it was unable to fix...
  9. Reinstall Win 10 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Win 10 1809: I did a clean install of Win 10 1809 at the beginning of October, when it was first released. Of course, then it was pulled and now it is released again. Now that it has been re-released, is it best to do another clean install, or would the new cumulative update be just as...
  10. Reinstall Windows Advice

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reinstall Windows Advice: What's the best way to reinstall Window? I'm having a problem with my PC shutting off even when it's set to Never shut off when plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-advice/66fe94ad-ed6f-4bc7-9164-d1e5dfe5a8d3"