Windows 10: Quick format a Bitlocked drive

Discus and support Quick format a Bitlocked drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by IJaffray, Jan 30, 2023.

1. IJaffray Win User

Quick format a Bitlocked drive

I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually erases and what it leaves as is. Unlike an unencrypted disk being Quick Formatted, where the files could be recovered."Quick format will "delete" files from the partition and rebuild the file system, volume label, and cluster size."I'm afraid I don't know enough about how Bitlocker encryption is execut

:)

IJaffray, Jan 30, 2023

2. Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?

I have a new drive, it's for storage only, can I simply use quick format with Veracrypt?

Bitlocker has the option to encrypt as you put data on the drive, instead of encrypting the whole drive first, is that not similar to quick format?

Encrypt the entire drive, or to not encrypt the entire drive, that is the question?

Confused*Huh

CannonRebel, Jan 30, 2023
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 30, 2023
  4. Wile E Win User

Quick format or normal format?

I always Quick format first. But, if I have a new drive, a drive formatted in something other than NTFS or FAT32, or otherwise encounter a problem with quick format, I do the normal format.

Wile E, Jan 30, 2023
Thema:

1. Quick format a Bitlocked drive - Similar Threads - Quick format Bitlocked

2. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.: Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information,...
  3. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.: Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information,...
  4. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  5. Bitlocker not allowing format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker not allowing format: Hi Guys,I've my machine that felt a victim of Bitlocker problem, I haven't set a bitlocker key and can get one from MS, so now I'm left with the option that I have format my machine and loose all my files so I booted my machine from my Win 10 pro USB and couldn't format...
  6. Bitlocker not allowing format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker not allowing format: Hi Guys,I've my machine that felt a victim of Bitlocker problem, I haven't set a bitlocker key and can get one from MS, so now I'm left with the option that I have format my machine and loose all my files so I booted my machine from my Win 10 pro USB and couldn't format...
  7. Format a bitlocked drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Format a bitlocked drive: Hi Community, I have the following situation:I want to format a drive locked with bitlocker. I can boot the drive and use the laptop normally because I know the bitlocker key, but I dont remembrer neither the bitlocker recovery pass nor bios password, bios is blocking to boot...
  8. Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Veracrypt vs Bitlocker Formatting drive?: I have a new drive, it's for storage only, can I simply use quick format with Veracrypt? Bitlocker has the option to encrypt as you put data on the drive, instead of encrypting the whole drive first, is that not similar to quick format? Encrypt the entire drive, or to not...
  9. Difference between Format and quick format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difference between Format and quick format: Question: Does selecting format, not Quick Format, write over the drive with some algorithms or just the FAT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-format-and-quick-format/6de9cae2-54e1-4556-9a96-499db743641a
  10. quick format- data recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    quick format- data recovery: Accident I did quick format of D drive (windows 10), the data is in drive, I am not able to see any why to recover the data, can any one guide https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-format-data-recovery/5e55eb45-391a-45da-9a08-50e709c2d7a9