Windows 10: Quick query

Discus and support Quick query in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a friend who has a very low monthly broadband download limit and is not able to download large updates like the current Creator for example... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ICIT2LOL, Apr 15, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Quick query

I have a friend who has a very low monthly broadband download limit and is not able to download large updates like the current Creator for example without chewing through her allowance in no time flat.

Now her brother has a superlative and very large download capability and I was thinking would is be possible for her to download the updates at her brothers to a stick and then load them at home to her new 10 machine from the stick??

I ask because out here the broadband coverage is simply Neanderthal.

:)

ICIT2LOL, Apr 15, 2017
  2. mccbleue Win User

Quick Nokia 6120 query

Is your phone operator branded? Some networks that support a second line on their SIMs have the # key to switch lines instead of profiles in their software versions.

Unfortunately, the manuals published by Nokia are standard and the networks never seldom publish errata for their brended models outlining the differences.

mccbleue, Apr 15, 2017
  3. Quick Nokia 6120 query

Yes it is T Mobile branded.

I understand what you are saying, Thanks.

It does switch from UMTS and GSM networks on its own too.

Maybe you're right and this function deosn't work, but I ccan select a different profile easily enough by pressing the on/off button once ans selecting a new one from there.

Many Thanks.

davepw---01, Apr 15, 2017
  4. Corelogik Win User

Quick query

Corelogik, Apr 15, 2017
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Thanks mate I will pass it on and I am tempted just to try and put it on a stick for curiosity. *Wink

Hmm can't find a way to put it onto a stick and she only wants the update not the whole shebang because the machine she has already got the old 1607 version on it but thanks for replying.*Smile

ICIT2LOL, Apr 15, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    The updates you can get from here (you need to replace the KBnumber)

Microsoft Update Catalog

Note that cumulative updates are bigger this way than through Windows Update as they include all changes since the start of the release (1703 or whatever) whereas WU only downloads what is required to update your PC. Probably doesn't matter in your case.

For upgrades (to 1703 Creators update) you need the whole ISO. You should be able to just copy the ISO to USB stick but make sure it is formatted NTFS in case it is bigger than 4GB which is the limit of FAT32.

You can either mount the ISO and copy the contents to the USB or copy the whole ISO file.

7. Cliff S New Member
    She just needs to mount the ISO(On USB Stick) in File Explorer, then click setup.exe to start the upgrade, just like a repair install*Smile

To put it on a stickFollow the drop down Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)

Cliff S, Apr 15, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Quick query

Ok I will let her know because it was to be her brothers machine for the download and I didn't want to point her in the wrong direction and muck up his machine.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 15, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I always use the "Mount ISO in File Explorer" method, just that I use the ISO from my downloads folder instead of external storage, as my M.2 SSD is a "little" faster*Smile
    Instead of creating a bootable USB, someone could just download the correct ISO for her, and then giver her a copy.

Cliff S, Apr 15, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    Make sure you download the correct ISO or it will not work.

You'll most likely want "Windows 10" but need to make sure you get the right language (could be UK English or US English - there is Ausralian English Language pack but not Australian English ISO as far as I know) and correct 32 or 64 bit.

It needs to match what she has. The easiest way is to run the tool linked to above on her machine and see what is says here

Quick query [​IMG]

Then run it on the other machine with the fast broadband to do the actual download and make sure all the options are the same. If they are not you can untick the "Use the recommended options" box and change them to match.

11. ICIT2LOL Win User
    No mate I have tried the Australian english copy and it is no different to the US one and I shouldn't say it but me being very old school find the spelling a bit odd.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Quick query

1. Quick query - Similar Threads - Quick query

2. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access in Windows Explorer query: Hi guys, Hopefully an easy one, although I couldn't find the answer online anywhere at all...I have added a few folders to my Quick Access, but go to attach an email or upload a document, as soon as the Window opens to locate the document, the bar on the left is scrolled all...
  3. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access in Windows Explorer query: Hi guys, Hopefully an easy one, although I couldn't find the answer online anywhere at all...I have added a few folders to my Quick Access, but go to attach an email or upload a document, as soon as the Window opens to locate the document, the bar on the left is scrolled all...
  4. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File explorer and quick access query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer and quick access query: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user with all updates up-to-date. Recently, my File explorer icons look like a page with the corner turned over - no normal file image and at the same time the quick access search never finishes?...
  6. A quick query re updatin6 to Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A quick query re updatin6 to Windows 10 2004: Windows 10 Pro - Windows Version Number: 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) A pretty new user of Windows 10 and I've held back on updating to version 2004 for the moment by deferring Feature Updates for a few weeks in WIndows Update / Advanced Options. I now get this message in...
  7. A quick query

in Windows 10 Customization
    A quick query: In the Control Panel > Colour Management it has settings for gamma brightness etc etc and the font stuff too. Now what i would like to know is why when I set mine to what I find comfortable and easy to read the next time I start the machine those settings have gone back to...
  8. A quick query

in Browsers and Email
    A quick query: Have obviously touched something but heck knows what see pic how can I revert the darn windows please. 92873
  9. Just a quick query

in Windows 10 Support
    Just a quick query: I came across this article in HTG and am wondering if Ubuntu or any other Linux OS system can be run on a) a 10 system dual boot b) can it be installed on hardware that is specifically made to be only supporting 10 (and any future system) How to Install and Use the Linux Bash...
  10. Quick query

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick query: I just found this article How to Disable SMBv1 and Protect Your Windows PC From Attack and checked my settings and he box is still ticked so should I uncheck that box for file sharing?? 92087