Windows 10: Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid

Discus and support Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was running out of space on my 500Gb SSD, I purchased another and went about trying to create a stripe using my motherboard, it wasnt happening too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Slagathor, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Slagathor Win User

Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid

I was running out of space on my 500Gb SSD, I purchased another and went about trying to create a stripe using my motherboard, it wasnt happening too well, so I joined the two SSD's using Disk Management, now I have 1TB using the two drives.
    Now, on to my question. Does anyone know if the info is stored on the drives for the "stripe" so if I have to reinstall Windows will the "stripe" show back up or will I have to rebuild it and loose everything on the drives???

:)

Slagathor, Jan 16, 2018

2. New Computer build with ssd boot and 2 - 1tb raid 1 hard drives

Ok so tech had me put my ssd on Sata and the raid drives on sSata ports on board. I was able to create raid but windows could not see the drives at all. So I clearEd the raid array put bios back to ahci for Sata and sSata ports basically everything back
    to default. I started windows went to disk management and now my 1tb hdd are visible I made them into dynamic drives and selected the mirror function in the disk management. So basically I have my raid 1 setup made through windows disk management I have yet
    to check to see if the drive are now visible in the Intel RSTe program yet but I'm formating the drives now to have them allocated partitions. That mirror across the 2 hdd. And currently have the SSD as boot drive and programs drive.

seanhennessy, Jan 16, 2018
  3. Defrag is not allowing me to defrag my disks.

Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid [​IMG]

Defrag is not allowing me to defrag my disks.

C: is a SSD in RAID-0 (2 Kingston 128Mb)

D: is a HDD in RAID-0 (2 Samsung 512Gb, not SSD)

All drivers installed (included Intel Management).

Someone has a solution for it?

Original title: Defrag

J.C.Ködel, Jan 16, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Sounds like a RAID 0 configuration which simply adds the storage of one drive to another. The "stripe" is redundant data coped from one member of a RAID array to one or more other members. In your current setup, there is no stripe, period. With RAID 0 you MUST backup the array before you can break it into individual, distinct and discrete drives. If you attempt otherwise, you will lose everything stored in that array.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 16, 2018
  5. It looks like you're talking about a "spanned volume" in Windows parlance - I don't believe Windows can do actual striping. With RAID-0 striping disk blocks are evenly spread across drives at the hardware or driver level; with spanning you're literally just sticking the space of the 2nd disk to the end of the 1st disk.

Spanned disks are a type of Dynamic Disk - metadata for these are stored in a hidden partition on the drive. If you reinstall Windows the Dynamic Disk information will be maintained as long as you don't clear out the hidden partition.

For instance: I created a spanned volume ("New Volume") across 2 drives and then booted into Windows setup. It detected the spanned volume and after I reinstalled Windows to partition 4, all the stuff in the spanned volume was still there.

Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Jan 16, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Jan 17, 2018
  7. Slagathor Win User
    Exactly the info I was hoping for......

Thanks guys

I am contemplating getting a raid card from ebay, dont really need it, it's just kinda fun playing with such things....

Thanks again!!!!

Slagathor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid - Similar Threads - Quick question SSD's

2. External SSD "Pretending" to be usable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External SSD "Pretending" to be usable: I honestly can't think of a way to word my issue so that I can find some solutionsBasically, when i plug this SSD into any computer I've tried 2 so far, it shows up fine, you can look in it, you "can move things to it"* tried moving a game to it with steam, 10 GB's in it...
  3. External SSD "Pretending" to be usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External SSD "Pretending" to be usable: I honestly can't think of a way to word my issue so that I can find some solutionsBasically, when i plug this SSD into any computer I've tried 2 so far, it shows up fine, you can look in it, you "can move things to it"* tried moving a game to it with steam, 10 GB's in it...
  4. 3 questions about Disk Management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3 questions about Disk Management.: 1. What will happen if I delete the free space?2. How can I move the free space to C Drive?3. How can I convert E to a Primary Partition?Note: Free Space = Whatever is shown in the photo....
  5. Question about quick assist

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about quick assist: So, I’ve been having some issues with a potential malware and hundreds of these weird files that I didn’t know what they were so I got into touch with someone from tech support through live chat. I was asked a few questions before he asked whether or not I would feel...
  6. Quick Question about Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Quick Question about Windows: Hi Just wondering if you could pass a question onto your CEO Satya Nadella.... "Looking towards the future do you think that it is feasible to anticipate that an operating system will be developed which will actually be stable, providing functionality that will be reliable...
  7. Quick question about encryption.

Quick question about encryption.: I want to encrypt a folder but the folder will be getting files added to it on a regular basis. Does windows 10 auto encrypt the files I add to the encrypted folder? submitted by /u/EdwardTeach84 [link] [comments]...
  8. Disk management question

Disk management question: How to convert dynamic partition to basic partition through disk management or any other free helpful application. submitted by /u/iMahdik99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5crcj/disk_management_question/
  9. Disk management question?

Disk management question?: In Disk Management..When you create a New Simple Volume on Unallocated space there is a screen where you must select a drive letter. I'm presuming that when you choose a drive letter here that it will be a fixed drive letter. Is there any way of creating a new simple volume...
  10. Question about SSD RAID 0

Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...