Windows 10: Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10

Discus and support Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My main desktop right here is running Windows 10 Pro, but my old desktop is still on Windows 7 Ultimate since I never really had any need to upgrade it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10

My main desktop right here is running Windows 10 Pro, but my old desktop is still on Windows 7 Ultimate since I never really had any need to upgrade it to win10. But now I've got some (paid) software that requires Windows 8 or higher, so I'm looking to upgrade that old desktop to 10.

I downloaded the "media creation tool" from Microsoft, but I just wanted to know: do I need to run that on my main computer, or run it on the old win7 computer, in order to create the boot USB? Just wanting to make sure.

submitted by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Apr 17, 2020
  2. Scoobydu Win User

homegroup win10 not recognize printer & scanner on win7 computer

Thank you so much for the quick response to my problem.

my devices I am trying to access on the win7 computer are:

Printer: Stylus Photo R200

Scanner: Perfection 4180

I had these originally on my computer B4 win10 install. After the install they did not work. That is why I connected to my other win7 computer. The win7 is within my Homegroup and when I access thru win10 I get access to docs, picts, videos, etc but not
    the above devices. Reversing this, accessing my win10 computer from the win7, I get the icon my Epson Workforce 310 printer which I set up on the win7 computer for printing as well as the above devices.

Went to Epson website on the win7 comp & found the recommended driver for win7. Did the same on the win10 comp to find drivers for win10. (Did not update these drivers yet.) Apparently they have 2 different drivers dependent on WIN version. Both drivers
    are up to date.

Is it possible the drivers are not compatible and this accounts for these devices not showing up on the win10 machine? Don't know if win10 driver will work on win7. I may try to set these up on win10 machine. If work can upgrade win7 to win10.

I tried steps 1 & 2. Step 3, I know I have devices set to show on the network.

Any other suggestions/comments??

Scoobydu, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Win7 Gateway Computer fails Win10 Upgrade

I am covered under the late Win10 upgrade ending Dec 2017.

I attempted 6 upgrades to Win10 -- all failing - each time trying to address a potential concern.

Win10 Upgrade says that the computer is fully capable for the upgrade and begins downloading the files then moving in the installing process.

The process totally locks up at 75% at which time a reset is applied. The computer restarts and continues to 81% thereby totally locking up again.

The reset - restart at this point goes into Win7 Home recover mode.

One of my attempts was to totally load a fresh version of Win7 from my installation disk and making sure the latest Win7 drivers were being used.

A internet search suggested that this model of Gateway computer was not able to be upgraded to Win10 yet the Win10 upgrade process stated that all was well.

Please note - no anti-virus - no programs - just a fresh Win7 installation.

I did find some Win8 Gateway drivers available but did not load them as I did not know if that would break the Win7 OS.

After one of the Win7 recovery process completed, Windows reported the upgrade failed do to error C1900101-4000D. A Internet search of the error code states it is do to a driver related issue - hence my concentration on drivers.

I would like to upgrade this computer but I have no idea as how to proceed.

Can some direction be provided.

Thanks

joehinkle1, Apr 17, 2020
  4. dkwong55 Win User

Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10

Win7 to Win10 upgrade issue ... 0xC1900101-0x30017 and then 0x40017

hi, Andre,

yes, i think my note did say that i already created the bootable ISO on a DVD and started the Win10 upgrade from there. i already contacted the vendor and he gave me a list of Win10 drivers, suggested the bootable ISO upgrade method but did not recommend
    a new BIOS update.

My PC is a ZOTAC CI320none with an Intel processor running a licensed Win7 Home Premium SP1.

dkwong55, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10

1. Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10 - Similar Threads - Quick question upgrading

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question: I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed, so the new PC BIOS is Win10 compatible.I'd like to be able to avoid having to reinstall all the software that I have on my...
  3. Quick question about encryption.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick question about encryption.: I want to encrypt a folder but the folder will be getting files added to it on a regular basis. Does windows 10 auto encrypt the files I add to the encrypted folder? submitted by /u/EdwardTeach84 [link] [comments]...
  4. Questions plaguing me pre-upgrade in place Win7 to Win10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions plaguing me pre-upgrade in place Win7 to Win10.: I feel like I've put it off long enough and am preparing to upgrade in place from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. I've migrated my C drive to a bigger SSD (500GB from 125GB) and have backed up all my files and drivers. I have read a lot online but would really appreciate r/Windows10...
  5. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  6. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  7. Questions about wanting to run Win7 WMC in VM under Win10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Questions about wanting to run Win7 WMC in VM under Win10: I currently have two Win7 desktop machines, both of which are Windows Media Center (WMC) enabled. They both have Ceton InfiniTV TV-tuner cards (which are cablecard-enabled for receiving copy-protected content from my cable company) and Hauppauge OTA/ATSC TV-tuner cards (for...
  8. A Quick Win7 question.

A Quick Win7 question.: Yeah, I know I probably should post this in Sevenforums but...…. lol, I've forgotten my password for it and never go there anymore, plus I know a lot of you still use it if only in a VM. So...… My brother in law is installing 7 on a new machine he's building for a friend....
  9. Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10

Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10: I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I have a few questions regarding the process and result. Essentially, my questions revolve around if I should be expecting that all my settings, applications, and documents remain identical after the upgrade process?...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215