Windows 10: Quick scan never completes

Discus and support Quick scan never completes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 S Mode and the security icon by the clock says it needs a quick scan. I started the quick scan. It has been showing a scan in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RobertMees1, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Quick scan never completes

I have a Windows 10 S Mode and the security icon by the clock says it needs a quick scan. I started the quick scan. It has been showing a scan in progress with dots moving across the screen for sometime. I have restarted the computer but it still needs a scan. The hard drive is only 64 meg so it shouldn't take this much time to complete. Thanks Robert Mees

:)

RobertMees1, Jul 18, 2020
  2. BTC55 Win User

Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option.

My options are:

• Scan
    • Advanced Scan
    • Full Scan
    • Custom Scan
    • Windows Defender Offline scan
    Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete.

Is a quick scan available?

How do I restore this feature?

BTC55, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Windows Defender quick scan fails to complete

When I try to employ a "Quick Scan" procedure in Defender, the scan progress indicator, coloured green, stops half way and does not complete.

The files scanned number continues the count as if it is doing a full scan.

My Windows 10 updates are correct as our the virus definitions etc.

Any suggestions on why the "quick" scan fails to complete?

Thanks

[Original title: Windows 10 Defender]

Tony Lawrence, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Quick scan never completes

Windows Defender Is Slow To Complete A 'Quick Scan'

Hello,

With the issue description, I understand that you have some query regarding Windows defender quick scan and its taking longer than usual. I will certainly answer your query.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.

a. The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both

b. Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.

c. A computer's hard drive size.

d. Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).

e. Whether external drives are included in the scan.

f. Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.

g. Other running processes and programs in the background.

h. Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.

Generally there are three types of scans offered by most anti-virus and anti-malware programs:

Quick Scan only checks the areas of your computer most likely to contain malware...the most prevalent and common places where malware typically hides. The length of time for performing a Quick scan will vary but it generally takes about 15-30
    minutes so they can be performed daily.

Full Scan is much more comprehensive since it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands. The length of time for performing a Full scan will also vary but because it is so comprehensive, this type of
    scan can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a weekly scan without having to monitor it.

Custom Scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.

To speed up a scan, clean out temporary (junk) files first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one and do not use the computer during the scan.

Method 1

First, I would suggest you to refer to the kb article mentioned below and refer to the section “Turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or off “ and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17464/windows-defender-help-protect-computer

When you disable Antivirus:

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable
    it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2

I would suggest you to follow the steps to remove the temporary files.

Step 1: Open Settings.

Step 2: Access System.

Step 3: Choose Storage and select This PC (or any hard drive).

Step 4: Click Temporary files and recycle bin in the options.

Step 5: Tap Delete temporary files and click Delete.

If issue persist feel free to write us back for any further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards

Kumar Ravi, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Quick scan never completes

1. Quick scan never completes - Similar Threads - Quick scan never

2. windows quick scan never ends

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows quick scan never ends: windows QUICK SCAN never finishes, as a result I always have YellowBlack exclamation mark in tool bar.Everything is up to date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-quick-scan-never-ends/1b871116-7419-4f99-92cc-965b37156c5a
  3. windows quick scan never ends

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows quick scan never ends: windows QUICK SCAN never finishes, as a result I always have YellowBlack exclamation mark in tool bar.Everything is up to date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-quick-scan-never-ends/1b871116-7419-4f99-92cc-965b37156c5a
  4. Quick Scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Quick Scan: Quick Scan isn't working properly.It just runs for hours and never completes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quick-scan/208a09ed-7fa1-4f41-a410-9b688e2b8bd0
  5. Quick scan

Quick scan: My laptops quick scan is not stopping,it has scanned some 5 lakh file today and is still going whereas on any normal day it scan 50 k files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quick-scan/ccdc3fef-cc4b-4988-bd2d-1e7a80573ca3
  6. quick scan never completes

quick scan never completes: I just bought hp stream windows s mode. it tries to to a recommended quick scan every time I am on the pc..the quick scan just runs and runs, never completes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/quick-scan-never-completes/cc82d34c-1613-442b-9554-f49ec3ebb25f
  7. Security Essentials Quick Scan will not complete

Security Essentials Quick Scan will not complete: How do I fix this, it just keeps spinning. I have Windows 10S. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/security-essentials-quick-scan-will-not-complete/80a3e010-8eed-4fa1-b4df-29ff171d08af
  8. windows 10s defender quick scan never completes

windows 10s defender quick scan never completes: Hi all and tearing my not much left now hair out! New windows 10s laptop. Under "virus and threat protection" showing a yellow warning triangle I get a message saying "quick scan due" with a red dot with a white x in it, along with moving dots below it. This apparent scan...
  9. Quick Scan?

Quick Scan?: This on a top of the range Surface Pro 4 i7 doing a Quick Scan.....M$ you must be joking. 129520
  10. Quick scan takes hours to complete

Quick scan takes hours to complete: What is going on with quick scan? I ran it yesterday and it took all day to run. Also is there a setting to run automatically. It is set to run real-time so is a scheduled scan unnecessary?...