Windows 10: Quick Search by typing file name

Discus and support Quick Search by typing file name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I'm having issues when looking for a specif file inside a folder. Normally when you type the name of the file not in the search bar on top it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JD_08, Jun 15, 2020.

1. JD_08 Win User

Quick Search by typing file name

Hello

I'm having issues when looking for a specif file inside a folder. Normally when you type the name of the file not in the search bar on top it goes over all the files that contain the characters you are typing until it reaches the one you were looking for, well when I do it in this folder for some reason it does not work. So this problem occurs only in this specific folder, all the other function perfectly. None of the other users in the company has had the same problem, it is just me.

Any idea how to fix this issue, I have never seen it before

Thanks

:)

JD_08, Jun 15, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Searching for files with names containing the searched word, not just starting with the word.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching for the content on Windows.

I suggest you to Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    and check.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Also, type the entire name of the file and check if it results the same.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Matt_316 Win User

Searching Within Files

I have tried searching within files in Windows 10 for a string. However, through testing, it seems that when the string being searched for does not have a space in front, it ignores it. E.g. if the text in the file is 'The quick brown fox' and I search
    for 'quick', it will list the file. But if the search string is 'ick', then the file will not be listed despite the text obviously being there. Any suggestions?

Matt

Matt_316, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Quick Search by typing file name - Similar Threads - Quick Search typing

2. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: Explain in tiltlehere is the content of one file: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/2f2a95e7-0a68-4725-aa62-2805d83e5cb7
  3. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: Explain in tiltlehere is the content of one file: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/2f2a95e7-0a68-4725-aa62-2805d83e5cb7
  4. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: explain in detail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/08fa892c-19b1-456e-bcdb-5a2efbf00078
  5. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: explain in detail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/08fa892c-19b1-456e-bcdb-5a2efbf00078
  6. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  7. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  8. Search for file by substrings in file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search for file by substrings in file name: Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found. If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found. If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is...
  9. File type search?

in Windows 10 Support
    File type search?: Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I...
  10. Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Find By Typing First Few Letters Of File Name?: i REALLY miss, and don't know why i can't do it with Windows 10, typing the first few letters of a file name and having it automatically highlighted!!! i tried googling this, but i can't find it. i would be surprised if no one else has talked about this though so many be i...