Windows 10: Quick Windows 10 upgrade question..

Discus and support Quick Windows 10 upgrade question.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Long time lurker, first time poster.. I have a Windows 7machine in a closet that I use as a NAS.. It has no monitor or keyboard attached- I access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ddiehl, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ddiehl Win User

Quick Windows 10 upgrade question..

Long time lurker, first time poster..

I have a Windows 7machine in a closet that I use as a NAS.. It has no monitor or keyboard attached- I access it via remote desktop.. I've got Windows 10 downloaded and ready to upgrade.. My question is can I let it do it's thing, or will I need to eventually hookup a keyboard and monitor? Supposedly it saves all your files and settings, but just wanted confirmation..

Thanks

:)

ddiehl, Dec 20, 2015
  2. PE_1234 Win User

Can I create a recovery DVD (not usb) with Windows 10

Thanks John,

That was quick! I have a stupid question though, will this backup my windows 10 system? Not my old windows 7 system before the windows 10 upgrade?

Cheers,

Paul

PE_1234, Dec 20, 2015
  3. SujataMoktan, Dec 20, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would be prepared with a monitor and keyboard. I am assuming this is Windows 7 Pro being upgraded to Windows 10 Pro? Windows 10 Home does not have the RDP server - only client.

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2015
  5. ddiehl Win User
    It's currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, and from what I've read I should be getting the Pro version of 10, which still has Remote Desktop Connection so I can continue to access it, yes?

I think I have an old monitor and keyboard kicking around..

Thanks for your help..

ddiehl, Dec 20, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 7 Ultimate will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro so it will keep Remote Desktop server capabilities and you can still access it remotely. It's definitely best to have a monitor connected because at least while the upgrade is progressing you won't have remote access and if it goes wrong you would have to connect a monitor anyway to see what went wrong and I am not sure remote access would be available after the upgrade without turning it on.

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Why upgrade if it's used only as a NAS?

If you do, make sure you have a good image backup of the Windows 7 boot drive so you can easily recover if you run into any problems.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick Windows 10 upgrade question.. - Similar Threads - Quick upgrade question

2. Quick question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick question: All the apps on my taskbar and desktop just randomly went white (changed to the paper looking thing) for a second then came back. Is this normal and has it happened to anyone else? submitted by /u/Gamingkiller99 [link] [comments]...
  3. Quick and simple question

Quick and simple question: So guys, I've been using Windows 10 LTSC for like a year now and been perfectly fine, but now I have to downgrade to Pro edition. I've read that you cant downgrade to Pro without wiping all the data, but can I downgrade losslessly if I buy and change the product key to Pro...
  4. Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10

Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10: My main desktop right here is running Windows 10 Pro, but my old desktop is still on Windows 7 Ultimate since I never really had any need to upgrade it to win10. But now I've got some (paid) software that requires Windows 8 or higher, so I'm looking to upgrade that old...
  5. Quick question: update or no?

Quick question: update or no?: Is there a solid and balanced web site that just gives a quick "yes" or "no" answer to "should I install this update?" for the average user? (Keeping up with new updates as they are delivered) submitted by /u/exppsy1989 [link] [comments]...
  6. Quick Icon Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Icon Question: Good Evening, I am having an issue with remembering what a friend said he did to my computer this morning while trying to do some of his homework. However, I have noticed that there are certain files in and around my computer that have a certain looking icon that mimics:...
  7. Minecraft: Quick Question

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Minecraft: Quick Question: SO, I Bought 1720 mine coins for Xbox Live on Amazon since I have the WINDOWS 10 VERSION I thought that if I brought one I could get the mine coins. Have I been looking for the past 2 hours for an answer WHERE THE HELL ARE MY COINS? I want to link my Microsoft account to my...
  8. Quick question..

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick question..: It seems for some reason that I can't expand the start menu horizontally. Vertical is fine but it's not moving in the horizontal direction past one column. Here's how I set it up: 1 Upgraded Win8.1 to 10240 with an ISO 2 Tried to add/mod the start menu and it just will...
  9. Quick reserve question

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick reserve question: I am running Windows 7 and have reserved Windows 10. If I reinstall Windows 7, will I keep the reserve? 15765
  10. Quick Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Question: I have a strange question, however, I feel that this might help me from losing my mind. Does anyone on this forum live near New Orleans (north or south shore), Louisiana? I need some help fixing issues on my laptop. Thank you for your time! 72746