Windows 10: Quick Windows 10 upgrade question..

Discus and support Quick Windows 10 upgrade question.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Long time lurker, first time poster.. I have a Windows 7machine in a closet that I use as a NAS.. It has no monitor or keyboard attached- I access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ddiehl, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ddiehl Win User

Quick Windows 10 upgrade question..

Long time lurker, first time poster..

I have a Windows 7machine in a closet that I use as a NAS.. It has no monitor or keyboard attached- I access it via remote desktop.. I've got Windows 10 downloaded and ready to upgrade.. My question is can I let it do it's thing, or will I need to eventually hookup a keyboard and monitor? Supposedly it saves all your files and settings, but just wanted confirmation..

Thanks

:)

ddiehl, Dec 20, 2015
  2. PE_1234 Win User

Can I create a recovery DVD (not usb) with Windows 10

Thanks John,

That was quick! I have a stupid question though, will this backup my windows 10 system? Not my old windows 7 system before the windows 10 upgrade?

Cheers,

Paul

PE_1234, Dec 20, 2015
  3. SujataMoktan, Dec 20, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would be prepared with a monitor and keyboard. I am assuming this is Windows 7 Pro being upgraded to Windows 10 Pro? Windows 10 Home does not have the RDP server - only client.

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2015
  5. ddiehl Win User
    It's currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, and from what I've read I should be getting the Pro version of 10, which still has Remote Desktop Connection so I can continue to access it, yes?

I think I have an old monitor and keyboard kicking around..

Thanks for your help..

ddiehl, Dec 20, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 7 Ultimate will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro so it will keep Remote Desktop server capabilities and you can still access it remotely. It's definitely best to have a monitor connected because at least while the upgrade is progressing you won't have remote access and if it goes wrong you would have to connect a monitor anyway to see what went wrong and I am not sure remote access would be available after the upgrade without turning it on.

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Why upgrade if it's used only as a NAS?

If you do, make sure you have a good image backup of the Windows 7 boot drive so you can easily recover if you run into any problems.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick Windows 10 upgrade question.. - Similar Threads - Quick upgrade question

2. quick question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    quick question: On Windows 10, when installing updates there will come a time when you're forced to install them only options being sleep, install and restart, or install and shut down, and this comes within a month or 3 weeks but another way I can turn off my PC is if I press the power...
  3. Quick question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick question: I personally haven't had it happen to me, but I'm still asking anyways. Can video files on Windows 10 get corrupted with time and not play anymore? I have a Windows 10 and have a bunch of old videos.And if so, can you restore it without installing any apps?...
  4. Quick question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick question: I personally haven't had it happen to me, but I'm still asking anyways. Can video files on Windows 10 get corrupted with time and not play anymore? I have a Windows 10 and have a bunch of old videos.And if so, can you restore it without installing any apps?...
  5. quick windows question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    quick windows question: hello i was just wondering if there is a program out there or a widows feature already inside my windows 10 OS where you see your desktop as it is now, with all the folders and program icons and how you can move the icons around freely or within a grid pattern right? my...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 some quick questions.

Upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 some quick questions.: I bought cyberpunk without reading it only supports windows 10. Im running 8.1 right now and figure now is a good a time as any. Some questions If I read this right, I can do an install that will JUST update windows to 10, correct? Nothing will be deleted right? I...
  7. Windows 10 Quick Assist Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Quick Assist Questions: Hello All Issue is my sister rarely updates her laptop, for a while she had no internet at her place, now has internet, unknown if she ever updates it, or applies HP bios updates to fix any security issues or various other issues. My Desktop has Windows 10 Pro, Her Laptop is...
  8. Windows 10 Quick Assist Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Quick Assist Questions: Hello All Issue is my sister rarely updates her laptop, for a while she had no internet at her place, now has internet, unknown if she ever updates it, or applies HP bios updates to fix any security issues or various other issues. My Desktop has Windows 10 Pro, Her Laptop is...
  9. Quick question

Quick question: All the apps on my taskbar and desktop just randomly went white (changed to the paper looking thing) for a second then came back. Is this normal and has it happened to anyone else? submitted by /u/Gamingkiller99 [link] [comments]...
  10. Quick question..

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick question..: It seems for some reason that I can't expand the start menu horizontally. Vertical is fine but it's not moving in the horizontal direction past one column. Here's how I set it up: 1 Upgraded Win8.1 to 10240 with an ISO 2 Tried to add/mod the start menu and it just will...