Windows 10: Quickbar Stop Combining Icon With Program Window

Discus and support Quickbar Stop Combining Icon With Program Window in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey all, Recently downgraded to windows ten (didn't have a choice in the matter). Getting really annoyed that my quicklinks will only open one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ashiruni, Aug 26, 2017.

1. ashiruni Win User

Quickbar Stop Combining Icon With Program Window

Hey all,

Recently downgraded to windows ten (didn't have a choice in the matter). Getting really annoyed that my quicklinks will only open one instance of the program I want, then the newly opened program window will take over that quicklink. Gone, it seems, are the days I can quickly open three windows of the file explorer to start micromanaging files in multiple locations.

Is there a way to obtain that functionality again? I've already had to remove windows' store, turn off half the stupidly unnecessary services, and gut out the registry, what else do I have to do to make this UI function like the windows XP UI?

:)

ashiruni, Aug 26, 2017
  2. EB-821 Win User

File Explorer Woes?

Windows 10 machine here.

HP, with an AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.50 GHz.

8 GB of RAM.

64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor.

I am having an issue I can't seem to pinpoint. It might have something to do with File Explorer but I think I am getting a few red herrings. First of all, my computer was working well until last Friday. I logged back onto it this morning and I seem to have
    issues whenever I try to use something baked into the operating system.

Here are a few examples.

Logging on takes ages now. I am running the operating system on an SSD and it definitely takes longer than usual. Right clicking on an item will bring up a contextual menu but it will take longer than usual (like 5/10 seconds maybe?). I would look at task
    manager to examine load but I can't (more below).

I noticed this morning there was a missing icon on my desktop's quickbar:

Quickbar Stop Combining Icon With Program Window [​IMG]

That's Windows 10's calculator icon. I can still click "on it" and I will still get the calculator. I also have another blank icon like that, and that's for OneNote.

The quickbar will launch maybe a couple of programs then it will crash (and I think that is file explorer crashing) and the quickbar won't have any icons at all. Eventually they will reappear (I guess File Explorer restarted).

My other programs such as Chrome, Illustrator, antivirus (which I ran and found nothing), etc. all work. However due to the quickbar acting up I have to use alt+tab to get to the program I want, and that once failed to work as well and I had to restart the
    computer.

Pressing on the Windows button on the quickbar or the Windows button on the keyboard will not bring the start menu and the quickbar will crash.

When I right click on my wallpaper and get the contextual menu, I then click on personalise to change it and get this error message:

When I do open file explorer and then I want to, say, right click on an item, maybe to access the menu to delete it, I will get a spinning wheel and I won't be able to do anything.

ctrl+alt+delete will bring up the security options, then I click on task manager but I get a blank window with the title "task manager" and nothing else. Again, spinning wheel, and when I click on close I get "Task manager is not responding" at which point
    I have to force close it.

I would tell you what updates I have installed, but I can't access the update panel, not even typing a search in Cortana. Cortana does find it, but when I click on it it doesn't open up. Because of these issues I have had to restart the computer 3 times
    just to get to a point where something wouldn't crash.

I was able to access the hardware manager when I could type into Cortana (once the quickbar crashes and restarts it becomes unresponsive so I can't even use my search). The Hardware Manager is in the "Windows desktop" style. It's almost like everything that
    works within the modern ui doesn't work, but the "old" desktop things work. If I can get more data such as hardware specs I will add them to this thread.

Thanks in advance.

EB-821, Aug 26, 2017
  3. Dave Heq Win User
    How to condense taskbar left-side search and multi-desktop spacing?

I have less space now to fit quickbar shortcuts because the search icon and multi-desktop buttons take up three times the space of their icons.

How do I shrink these?

Dave Heq, Aug 26, 2017
Thema:

Quickbar Stop Combining Icon With Program Window

1. Quickbar Stop Combining Icon With Program Window - Similar Threads - Quickbar Stop Combining

2. AltGr Combinations stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AltGr Combinations stopped working: AltGr combinations for US INTL Keyboards stopped workingand i can't do the German ö in any application since a recent update some months agoSpecifically, all the following combinations stopped working on US INTL Keyboard Layout and probably all other keyboard layouts as they...
  3. AltGr Combinations stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AltGr Combinations stopped working: AltGr combinations for US INTL Keyboards stopped workingand i can't do the German ö in any application since a recent update some months agoSpecifically, all the following combinations stopped working on US INTL Keyboard Layout and probably all other keyboard layouts as they...
  4. Can't choose between multiple windows of the open program when icons are combined grouped...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't choose between multiple windows of the open program when icons are combined grouped...: Can't choose between multiple windows of the open program, only ALT+TAB works but that is not the solution. When icons are not combined single you can open them one by one without any problem. When icons are combined you can see the preview of open instances of that program...
  5. Can't choose between multiple windows of the open program when icons are combined grouped...

Can't choose between multiple windows of the open program when icons are combined grouped...: Can't choose between multiple windows of the open program, only ALT+TAB works but that is not the solution. When icons are not combined single you can open them one by one without any problem. When icons are combined you can see the preview of open instances of that program...
  6. Can't choose between multiple windows of the open program when icons are combined grouped...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows 11 - Never Combine Taskbar Icons

Windows 11 - Never Combine Taskbar Icons: I know that the "never combine" taskbar setting is not available in Windows 11. Is this something that will be corrected in an update, or has this been removed permanently? Feedback to Microsoft - I prefer to see all open files and not have to hover over the icon to choose...
  8. Taskbar combine certain programs.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar combine certain programs.: Is there a way to only combine certain programs on the task bar and never combine others? THanks. submitted by /u/Objective-Actuary-26 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m8ibd3/taskbar_combine_certain_programs/
  9. Font Manager that Combines Weights in Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Font Manager that Combines Weights in Programs: For example, when I download Lato, it comes with Lato Regular, Lato Bold, Lato Italics, etc. After I install them and open Microsoft Word, Lato appears as Lato Regular, Lato Bold, Lato, Italics, etc. Is it possible for the font to just appear at Lato in Microsoft's font...
  10. Combining multiple program windows into a single window?

Combining multiple program windows into a single window?: I have six command prompt windows which I'd like to be able to divide equally across my monitor and also maximise and minimise as a single window; is that possible? 103443