Windows 10: Quickest/Easiest way to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version

Discus and support Quickest/Easiest way to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Easiest way is to install latest iso in a vm, boot to audit mode and full update, then syprep the install to generalise and oobe the installation, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RKillCrazy, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Quickest/Easiest way to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version

If I understand what you're suggesting, this won't work for an in-place upgrade of the build/version. Yes, it'll work for creating an image and rolling out new machines. If you read the first post, you'll see I've done that before. In this case, we want to upgrade isolated systems from build-10240 to build-14393 - just like you would with Windows Updates.

RKillCrazy, Feb 23, 2017

2. I create a new ISO yearly as well but, I'm trying to reproduce the effects of WIndows Updates on an isolated system and roll them from build-10240 to build-14393 - without a reimage.

RKillCrazy, Feb 23, 2017
  3. RKillCrazy, Feb 23, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Quickest/Easiest way to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version

I am now doing the Offline Upgrade from Win10 10240 Home to Win10 Version 1607 Build 14393 on a Notebook with only a 32GB SSD, requires an additional 10+GB space so am using a 8GB USB drive built from the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 page with a second 16GB USB drive. So far the Version looks like it will be 1607 Build 14393.0 so will have some updates to do to get to Version 1607 Build 14393.693. Will have to get the young owner a 32GB MicroSDXC card for the Notebook.

Berton, Feb 23, 2017
  5. You have a home version so, using the link you provided works just fine. Enterprise & Education licenses are different... In any case, once everything looks good on your loadout, be sure to run the disk cleanup utility - with admin rights - to clean up the files that were backed up during the upgrade from 10240 to 14393.

RKillCrazy, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    @RKillCrazy,

There have been three versions of Windows 10, the original launch 10240 (1507), the Fall Update (1511) and the Anniversary Update (1607). We are anticipating the Creators Update (1704?) in May.

To bring a machine up to date there at only two things you need: an iso or USB of the latest version, the latest cumulative update - and nothing else. You do not have to step up through the versions (a new version has everything the old one had, but with new features) or install a sequence of updates ('cumulative' means it contains all previous patches).

The iso/USB you can download from Microsoft with the Media Creation Tool. Make sure you download the latest MCT, the iso it downloads is hard-coded into the MCT so an older one will fetch an old iso. The current one looks like it will download 1607 OS build 14393.591
    Windows 10 ISO Download

If you have internet access, just check for updates and windows update will download the latest cumulative update. Currently that take you to build 14393.693.

For your 'isolated' machines, download the standalone cumulative update from the Microsoft Update Catalog. Look up the KB number of the CU, 14393.693 is KB3213986.
    Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 update history
    ...then search for it by KB number in the Update Catalog.
    Microsoft Update Catalog

7. Still no joy...
    I knew one doesn't need to step it up to 1511 and then 1607. With the ISO I made, I was able to skip right over 1511 and right to 1607. In any case, I loaded up a build 10240 VM and dropped the file you recommended I download but, as you can see in my screen-shot, it fails to install.

Quickest/Easiest way to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version [​IMG]

RKillCrazy, Feb 24, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

I misspoke on the version, it actually took me up to Build 14393.447. I am now doing the offline update to Build 14393.693.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Quickest/Easiest way to upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version - Similar Threads - Quickest Easiest upgrade

2. Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10: I have inherited a computer that is about four years old. I have had it switched on for a week doing updates and the OS info page says it is still on version 1803 17134.1304 but the updates it installs are called feature updates to Windows 10 version 22H2. 1. Isn't version...
  3. Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10: I have inherited a computer that is about four years old. I have had it switched on for a week doing updates and the OS info page says it is still on version 1803 17134.1304 but the updates it installs are called feature updates to Windows 10 version 22H2. 1. Isn't version...
  4. Upgrade to latest version of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Easiest way to reinstall window?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Easiest way to reinstall window?: Over the past few months my PC has had some really weird issues. I don't think these are an effect of a virus, I have run full scans using Windows defender, Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and haven't found anything that could have caused these issues. Because of this I am...
  6. What's the easiest way to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What's the easiest way to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro?: I have Windows 10 Home and I['ve just bought a Windows 10 Pro license key. What's the easiest way for me to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without losing my files and settings etc? Thanks...
  7. Best/easiest way to upgrade a Win 10 Home to Pro

Best/easiest way to upgrade a Win 10 Home to Pro: I have an unused Win 7 Pro (or whatever it was called back then) retail license, and I also have a Win 10 Pro VM that I really don't use. What is the easiest or best way to do an in-place upgrade of this Win 10 Home laptop? I don't want to do a fresh install, since that...
  8. Windows 10 upgrading to the latest version

Windows 10 upgrading to the latest version: Today I got a upgrade reminder from Microsoft upgrade center that it was time to upgrade to the latest version of windows 10, OK I was running the upgrade and the next thing I got was a black screen with flashing cursors, no messages about faulty hard drives or anything, I...
  9. What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??

What's The Easiest Way to upgrade Windows 'C' Drive??: I have a measly 500Gb SSD 'C' Drive (Desktop PC), which has W10 on it and other general stuff. It's getting full. I just purchased a new 1Tb SSD. What's the easiest most painless way of swapping out the OS onto this new larger SSD?? I do have a backup of W10 current build on...
  10. Easiest way to block Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Easiest way to block Windows Updates: Hi all, I need three days of my life to setup a new computer with Win 10 Pro AU and now it's pretty fine (or almost...). Said that, I am really afraid that some "forced" update will destroy my spare time again so I want to AVOID Windows Update to update my computer....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. quickest way to update to latest windows 10 version