Quickly boot between OS's

Discus and support Quickly boot between OS's in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Friends, If you're dual booting like I am between your current OS and Windows 10 here is a trick I use to quickly go back and forth. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Justdave, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Justdave Win User

Friends,

If you're dual booting like I am between your current OS and Windows 10 here is a trick I use to quickly go back and forth. I have a shortcut in Windows 8.1 to take me to Windows 10 and a shortcut on Windows 10 to take me to Windows 8.1. Here is what you need to do.

In your current OS

1. create a batch file as follows:
    TITLE BOOT TO WINDOWS 10
    bcdedit /default {identifier}
    bcdedit /timeout 0
    shutdown /r /t 0

--Run BCDEdit to find the identifier for Windows 10 to insert above

--Setting the timeout to 0 will skip the Boot Menu screen, leave that line out if you want

2. Create a shortcut to that batch file and in 'Properties' set 'Run minimized' and set Advanced 'Run as administrator'

Rename the shortcut anything you want. Mine is 'Boot to Windows 10' in Windows 8.1 and 'Boot to Windows 8.1' in Windows 10

In Windows 10 repeat the steps 1 and 2 above inserting the {identifier} for your current OS

Just thought I'd pass this along.

:)

Justdave, Jul 19, 2015
  2. Smittychat. Win User
    Smittychat., Jul 19, 2015
  3. HumbleInc Win User
    Windows 10 0xc000000f

Pressing F9 worked for me. It seems windows is between OSs - doesn't have the boot record for the previous OS and cannot find the new boot record. F9 booted back in to windows, completed the update and all is well after that.

HumbleInc, Jul 19, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  5. Vladimir Win User
    Cool !

Thanks for sharing.

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Quickly boot between OS's - Similar Threads - Quickly boot between

1. How to toggle screens quickly

in Windows 10 Support
    How to toggle screens quickly: I have a laptop connected to an external monitor. Need to do a presentation where I have Powerpoint open on one screen and Excel on another screen and toggle the external screen So: the laptop screen should always show Excel but the external screen should show either PP or...
  2. Load, Stay Resident, Open Quickly

in Windows 10 Support
    Load, Stay Resident, Open Quickly: Adobe InDesign takes a long time to load, much slower than Photoshop (for example). When I was on a Mac, an application, once manually launched, stayed running but in the background ("stayed resident" is a term I have heard). Its icon at the bottom of the screen had something...
  3. Files missing in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Files missing in Quick Access: Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance. 112181
  4. Files not showing in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Files not showing in Quick Access: Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance. 112181
  5. Quick CMD-Prompt pops up and disappears - Related to Activation Key..?

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick CMD-Prompt pops up and disappears - Related to Activation Key..?: Noticed when I install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Creators Update and don't have the computer connected to the network / internet... When the PC starts and logs in to the desktop I notice one or sometimes two CMD Prompt-like Windows quickly appear and disappear on the...
  6. Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook 365 automatically adds icon into Quick Launch on boot: I am running Windows 10, fully up-to-date. Whenever I start my computer, Windows adds an icon for Outlook into my Quick Launch area. Every day I delete it yet Windows adds it back in the next day, I have heard that marking it as hidden can solve this but that has not...
  7. MSOffice 2016-Outlook icon back to Quick Launch Toolbar on every boot

in Windows 10 Support
    MSOffice 2016-Outlook icon back to Quick Launch Toolbar on every boot: Grrr! In the past, every windows update for outlook would return the icon to quick launch. I could delete it and that would be it for a long while. Since a recent update though, it seems MS is returning that icon to QL on every boot. Tired of repeatedly deleting it. Is...
Quickly boot between OS's solved