Windows 10: Quickly boot between OS's

Discus and support Quickly boot between OS's in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Friends, If you're dual booting like I am between your current OS and Windows 10 here is a trick I use to quickly go back and forth. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Justdave, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Justdave Win User

Quickly boot between OS's

Friends,

If you're dual booting like I am between your current OS and Windows 10 here is a trick I use to quickly go back and forth. I have a shortcut in Windows 8.1 to take me to Windows 10 and a shortcut on Windows 10 to take me to Windows 8.1. Here is what you need to do.

In your current OS

1. create a batch file as follows:
    TITLE BOOT TO WINDOWS 10
    bcdedit /default {identifier}
    bcdedit /timeout 0
    shutdown /r /t 0

--Run BCDEdit to find the identifier for Windows 10 to insert above

--Setting the timeout to 0 will skip the Boot Menu screen, leave that line out if you want

2. Create a shortcut to that batch file and in 'Properties' set 'Run minimized' and set Advanced 'Run as administrator'

Rename the shortcut anything you want. Mine is 'Boot to Windows 10' in Windows 8.1 and 'Boot to Windows 8.1' in Windows 10

In Windows 10 repeat the steps 1 and 2 above inserting the {identifier} for your current OS

Just thought I'd pass this along.

:)

Justdave, Jul 19, 2015
  2. Smittychat., Jul 19, 2015
  3. HumbleInc Win User
    Windows 10 0xc000000f

Pressing F9 worked for me. It seems windows is between OSs - doesn't have the boot record for the previous OS and cannot find the new boot record. F9 booted back in to windows, completed the update and all is well after that.

HumbleInc, Jul 19, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  5. Vladimir Win User
    Cool !

Thanks for sharing.

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quickly boot between OS's - Similar Threads - Quickly boot between

2. Transferring OS between two SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...
  3. Dual booting OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual booting OS: Hi, I would like to install dual booting windows 10, both OS in same hard disc. I would like to confirm that no issue to have partition C and D in both OS and no access from each other? Thanks, Ratna...
  4. How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?

How to Dual-Boot 2nd OS?: This is more or less a project, seeing if I CAN do this successfully without messing up my Windows OS. I have 2 hard drives (both same 2 TB capacity); one is my main Windows 10 OS system, the other was/will-be intended for system-image/macrium-reflect backups in-case my main...
  5. Dual boot encryption at OS selection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot encryption at OS selection: I have two ssd's both with Windows 10. I have it set to boot to OS selection. I want to encrypt both ssd's separately so that when I choose one OS or the other that is when I have to enter the password. So far I have use bitlocker to encrypt one drive but it requires me to...
  6. Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?: When I got the update for my Windows 10 Pro 10240 build 10240, the update were mentioned as Wondows 10 Pro 1511 build 10586. But when the updates were downloaded and installed, I looked into system information which mentioned as Windows 10 Pro 10586 build 10586. Are these...
  7. Software to manage file sharing between different OS systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Software to manage file sharing between different OS systems: Some years ago, maybe even a decade or so, I had an application that provided a connection between computer systems. I had a Mac laptop at the time and a Windows HTPC. It offered more options than just connecting shared folders, but made it so much easier for sharing as well...
  8. OS Boot Selection Screen

OS Boot Selection Screen: Hi there reader/expert, More a question than an actual problem. I have a dual boot system with both 8.1x64 and 10x64 on my 240GB SSD and I always used to have a nice boot selection screen in blue, like on the right side of the picture (something I grabbed from the inet)....
  9. Removing a OS from boot menu?

Removing a OS from boot menu?: So i got a new hard drive and installed it few days ago and when i boot up, it asks me every time, which OS i want to boot up. This gets annoying since I only have 1 and I can't find the boot.ini anywhere and websites don't specify how to remove an OS from the boot up screen....
  10. Dual Booted successfully, but OS Boot Mngr Prefers to Boot Windows10

Dual Booted successfully, but OS Boot Mngr Prefers to Boot Windows10: I've Dual Booted a Clients computer so that it would Have selection Options between Kali Linux and Windows 10, but despite updating the BIOs and enabling legacy Mode, neither of these two allows for the Priority of the Grub Menu to be set. As the Windows Boot loader appears...