Windows 10: Quickly boot between OS's

Discus and support Quickly boot between OS's in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Friends, If you're dual booting like I am between your current OS and Windows 10 here is a trick I use to quickly go back and forth. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Justdave, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Justdave Win User

Quickly boot between OS's

Friends,

If you're dual booting like I am between your current OS and Windows 10 here is a trick I use to quickly go back and forth. I have a shortcut in Windows 8.1 to take me to Windows 10 and a shortcut on Windows 10 to take me to Windows 8.1. Here is what you need to do.

In your current OS

1. create a batch file as follows:
    TITLE BOOT TO WINDOWS 10
    bcdedit /default {identifier}
    bcdedit /timeout 0
    shutdown /r /t 0

--Run BCDEdit to find the identifier for Windows 10 to insert above

--Setting the timeout to 0 will skip the Boot Menu screen, leave that line out if you want

2. Create a shortcut to that batch file and in 'Properties' set 'Run minimized' and set Advanced 'Run as administrator'

Rename the shortcut anything you want. Mine is 'Boot to Windows 10' in Windows 8.1 and 'Boot to Windows 8.1' in Windows 10

In Windows 10 repeat the steps 1 and 2 above inserting the {identifier} for your current OS

Just thought I'd pass this along.

:)

Justdave, Jul 19, 2015
  2. Smittychat., Jul 19, 2015
  3. HumbleInc Win User
    Windows 10 0xc000000f

Pressing F9 worked for me. It seems windows is between OSs - doesn't have the boot record for the previous OS and cannot find the new boot record. F9 booted back in to windows, completed the update and all is well after that.

HumbleInc, Jul 19, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Ztruker, Jul 19, 2015
  5. Vladimir Win User
    Cool !

Thanks for sharing.

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quickly boot between OS's - Similar Threads - Quickly boot between

2. Is it possible to switch between OS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to switch between OS?: If persay I have a mac OS bootable usb drive and I plugged it into my windows 10 pc, could I like possibly use windows 10 at one time and switch to mac OS whenever I want? I'm also wondering if this same logic would work for other bootable usb drives like ubuntu, linux, etc....
  3. Is it possible to switch between OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to switch between OS?: If persay I have a mac OS bootable usb drive and I plugged it into my windows 10 pc, could I like possibly use windows 10 at one time and switch to mac OS whenever I want? I'm also wondering if this same logic would work for other bootable usb drives like ubuntu, linux, etc....
  4. Is it possible to switch between OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will quick format deletes windows os?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Will quick format deletes windows os?: I want to quick format my hdd one which has windows installed on it. So when i quick format it, will the formatting process removes the windows os as well?...
  6. Quick Boot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Quick Boot: I had go to BIOS and Boot setting. Do you know how to make my laptop boot faster?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-boot/b2690626-7e8a-4bcc-9614-bf6f592e1d25
  7. Quick switch between virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick switch between virtual desktops: There has to be a shortcut for quickly switching between desktops. I have used 3 rd party applications but they're just not stable enough. I can see why this has been a problem for the developers. Considering there can be any number of virtual desktops coming up with a...
  8. Difference between Format and quick format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difference between Format and quick format: Question: Does selecting format, not Quick Format, write over the drive with some algorithms or just the FAT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-format-and-quick-format/6de9cae2-54e1-4556-9a96-499db743641a
  9. Transferring OS between two SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...
  10. Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?: When I got the update for my Windows 10 Pro 10240 build 10240, the update were mentioned as Wondows 10 Pro 1511 build 10586. But when the updates were downloaded and installed, I looked into system information which mentioned as Windows 10 Pro 10586 build 10586. Are these...