Windows 10: "Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error

Discus and support "Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Dear All, Has anyone come across this highly annoying error? Once I am in Settings/Personalisation/Themes page, a few secs after I have entered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kokkolis, Jul 25, 2020.

1. kokkolis Win User

"Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error

Dear All,

Has anyone come across this highly annoying error? Once I am in Settings/Personalisation/Themes page, a few secs after I have entered "Themes" page, I get this annoying ringtone and the error "windows cannot find one of the files in this theme, do you still want to save it?".

Whether I click "Yes, save it", or "No, don't save it", the error comes back...I can click again to "save" or not to save and this goes on for 15-18 times before it stops.

I am not sure whether this 15-18 times occurring means it's looking for 15-18 files one from each of the 18 themes, or whether 15-17 files are missing in general, or something else.

Each theme folder contain a folder labelled "DesktopBackground" (it contains the desktop pics), and also another file outside the desktop background folder (but inside the theme folder), which is a "windows theme file".

All theme folders have both the DesktopBackground folder as well as the windows theme file, so as far as I can tell with my limited IT knowledge, nothing appears to be missing..

I run Windows 2004, version 20175.1000 in the Dev ring, however I am carrying this error since before joining Windows insider...

So far, I have:

1. Moved out all individual themes from the Windows Themes folder, leaving only the default Microsoft ones. Error still continues even when I have selected the default Microsoft windows 10 theme (light or dark).

For reference, my themes folder is located in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

2. I have de-sync the Themes synchronisation, but no joy. The moment I go back to "Themes" page, errors re-appear.

Even when all themes are present in the Windows themes folder, all themes appear normally in the Settings/Personalisation/Themes page as they should, and all desktop pics appear to work flawlessly. Hence, I can still select any of the themes and they all work OK, it's the annoying tone and the 15-17 times I have to cancel the error one after another that are so frustrating.

I have noticed that the error occurs a few sec after I enter the "Settings/Personalisation/Themes page"... it appears without me touching anything at all...the moment I enter "Setting/Personalisation/Themes" page, i get the 15-17 error messages, then I can go one level up to "Settings/Personalisation/Screensaver" (or down to say "Fonts"), then once I go back to "Themes" page, errors come back just by entering the "Themes" page alone and doing nothing other than visiting the page.

Has anyone found the root cause and a fix?

Thanks a lot,
    Christos

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

After I temporarily "deleted" all themes from the "Themes" folder apart of the default Microsoft theme (and with errors still persisting), I logged into Microsoft store.

All themes that I had purchased were "ready for downloading". Each time I was selecting to download a theme, same error. I re-downloaded all purchased themes, they all went to the correct "Themes" directory, they all appear on the Themes setting page, and the error still persists.

:)

kokkolis, Jul 25, 2020
  2. kokkolis Win User

Dear All,

Has anyone come across this highly annoying error? Once I am in Settings/Personalisation/Themes page, a few secs after I have entered "Themes" page, I get this annoying ringtone and the error "windows cannot find one of the files in this theme, do you still want to save it?".

Whether I click "Yes, save it", or "No, don't save it", the error comes back...I can click again to "save" or not to save and this goes on for 15-18 times before it stops.

I am not sure whether this 15-18 times occurring means it's looking for 15-18 files one from each of the 18 themes, or whether 15-17 files are missing in general, or something else.

Each theme folder contain a folder labelled "DesktopBackground" (it contains the desktop pics), and also another file outside the desktop background folder (but inside the theme folder), which is a "windows theme file".

All theme folders have both the DesktopBackground folder as well as the windows theme file, so as far as I can tell with my limited IT knowledge, nothing appears to be missing..

I run Windows 2004, version 20175.1000 in the Dev ring, however I am carrying this error since before joining Windows insider...

So far, I have:

1. Moved out all individual themes from the Windows Themes folder, leaving only the default Microsoft ones. Error still continues even when I have selected the default Microsoft windows 10 theme (light or dark).

For reference, my themes folder is located in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

2. I have de-sync the Themes synchronisation, but no joy. The moment I go back to "Themes" page, errors re-appear.

Even when all themes are present in the Windows themes folder, all themes appear normally in the Settings/Personalisation/Themes page as they should, and all desktop pics appear to work flawlessly. Hence, I can still select any of the themes and they all work OK, it's the annoying tone and the 15-17 times I have to cancel the error one after another that are so frustrating.

I have noticed that the error occurs a few sec after I enter the "Settings/Personalisation/Themes page"... it appears without me touching anything at all...the moment I enter "Setting/Personalisation/Themes" page, i get the 15-17 error messages, then I can go one level up to "Settings/Personalisation/Screensaver" (or down to say "Fonts"), then once I go back to "Themes" page, errors come back just by entering the "Themes" page alone and doing nothing other than visiting the page.

Has anyone found the root cause and a fix?

Thanks a lot,
    Christos

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

After I temporarily "deleted" all themes from the "Themes" folder apart of the default Microsoft theme (and with errors still persisting), I logged into Microsoft store.

All themes that I had purchased were "ready for downloading". Each time I was selecting to download a theme, same error. I re-downloaded all purchased themes, they all went to the correct "Themes" directory, they all appear on the Themes setting page, and the error still persists.

kokkolis, Jul 25, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jul 25, 2020
  4. mmurphy01 Win User

Problem with Themes

I recent upgraded to a Samsung Omnia II running Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional and have had only one problem. When I went to change the theme I received an error message telling me that "A problem has occurred with setting_t.exe". The phone then attempts
    to locate themes and cannot find any. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

mmurphy01, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

1. "Windows cannot find one of the files in this theme" annoying error - Similar Threads - &quot cannot find

2. Stop double quotes on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop double quotes on Windows 11: Let me explain:I have a 60% keyboard with the US layout, I used to use US-INTL to have the ''é'' and etc, but now whenever I type the quote to make an é it does double quotes, I tried everything and nothing is stopping it, can someone help me?I need to have the accents for...
  3. Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10: This problem has been reported many times with previous versions of Windows - and the fix has always been to change the keyboard from US International to US Standard. Brief description of the problem for those not familiar: Pressing a quote - or double quote - does not...
  4. "App & browser control" is Off warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "App & browser control" is Off warning: Yesterday I upgraded to v2004 on both my desktop PC and my DELL laptop. In both cases things seemed to go well but I now see a "Windows Security" warning that was not there in the previous version v1909. See picture: - [img] If it was important I reckon Microsoft should...
  5. How to restore a "false positive" trojan file?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to restore a "false positive" trojan file?: Hello. I have a file that windows defender sees as a thread, it thinks it is a trojan. It has the file in quarantine, and I have a choise to either Restore or Delete it. I know for sure that the file is NOT a trojan, but I can't get Defender to restore it. I have disabled...
  6. How to "quote reply" or "block quote" in Windows 10 Mail app

How to "quote reply" or "block quote" in Windows 10 Mail app: I'm looking for a feature like the one described here for the gmail app: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/50276/how-to-quote-several-parts-of-email-in-gmail. This is especially helpful in the context of addressing multiple questions in a reply email....
  7. "Your Phone" won't connect to phone after motherboard replacement

"Your Phone" won't connect to phone after motherboard replacement: I've had the Your Phone app running for the last few months on my Windows 10 Pro PC, connecting to my LG V20 phone (Android v8). Last week my motherboard failed, so I replaced it and restored my Windows setup to a new SSD while I was at it. Now the Your Phone app won't...
  8. Quotes in WIndows 10

Quotes in WIndows 10: The problem: when I hit the quote key nothing happens unless I hit it again, then I get two quotes. If I hit quote once and then a vowel, I get an umlaut. This happens in a bunch of different programs including Word, Thunderbird (email), and R Studio. I read previous...
  9. Cannot deactivate autocorrection quotes --> smart quotes

Cannot deactivate autocorrection quotes --> smart quotes: Hello, How to deactivate autocorrection of quotes --> smart quotes in program "Mail" ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-deactivate-autocorrection-quotes-smart/931c0d84-8a8b-4807-80b9-842b05b8f6eb
  10. Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove EFS "File ownership" Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders...