Windows 10: Rabbit Hole

Discus and support Rabbit Hole in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I feel like Alice falling down the rabbit hole as I am researching information in the quest to fix/improve my laptop since deciding to go into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CeCeJourney, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Rabbit Hole

I feel like Alice falling down the rabbit hole as I am researching information in the quest to fix/improve my laptop since deciding to go into the Insider Program.

I am, for the most part, learning many aspects that I need and want to know, however, if seems too many times one possible “fix” leads to another option, then another…and so on.

For now, this is the issue I need fixed the most. My speakers continue to pop and crackle during any audio. I have used the troubleshooter, allowed MS to able their “fix” (which obviously did not work), I have read many knowledge base and support articles on various pages, including here, and I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated my driver.

Last night I found a possible reason why nevertheless I am unsure. I have had this laptop for a little more than a year. Per Dell, my BIOS has an update, well two but I am not sure if I am to install both. The latest update states a fix for my issues with IPv6. BONUS!!

I am currently reading everything I can to ensure I understand the process and how to apply it. Any suggestions and/or help would be much appreciated!!
    Thank you for your time!! Screenshot added for reference.

Rabbit Hole [​IMG]

:)

CeCeJourney, Dec 5, 2016
  2. ozzygold Win User

windows 10 spider solitaire no reset button

I appreciate a true answer. although no help. than to spend hours down the rabbit hole.

ozzygold, Dec 5, 2016
  3. Definition Update for Windows Defender - Error 0x80070643

Worked successfully. Haven't had to go down that rabbit hole in several years. Thanks for your help.

Ken

KennethEWoods, Dec 5, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Rabbit Hole

.. I reposted this because the red/yellow are hard to read.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 5, 2016
  5. I apologize, @BunnyJ Thank you.

CeCeJourney, Dec 5, 2016
  6. Additional screenshot showing the BIOS information I am trying to understand and the order in which I am to update.

My Dell is supposed to auto-update, however it seems I have many files that need attention. Figures. *Confused

Rabbit Hole [​IMG]

CeCeJourney, Dec 5, 2016
  7. CmmTch Win User
    On the page on the left it states the order "BIOS, drivers, and applications"

BIOS would be first, once that's done start on drivers, you might do them one at a time, probably the safest way. It's good to reboot between a driver update/install.

Dell makes it pretty easy when it comes to updating their BIOS and drivers.

CmmTch, Dec 6, 2016
  8. Rabbit Hole

Thank you, @CmmTch.

I am slowly learning new skills in the hope I do not need to rely on others to tweak or fix anything on my devices. My hope is that by doing this BIOS update, most if not all issues are fixed. Well, at least until the next build rolls out.

Problem I am having at the moment is figuring out why File History and Backup are not working. Really do not want to begin this process without a current backup.

CeCeJourney, Dec 6, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Quite often bios updates come with a change log in the form of a simple text file that describes what has been fixed or updated.

That could be indicative of corrupted system files. So maybe that needs to be checked upon first.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 6, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. I would certainly keep the BIOS up to date, load BIOS defaults after the update then tweak the BIOS as you wish. I chose to remove the Dell 'bloatware' including automatic driver updates and Dell Backup which I found unreliable. I did a clean install of Windows 10 a while ago and only chose to install the touchpad & graphics drivers from the Dell site plus any other drivers on Dell's site which are newer than those selected by Windows 10. I turned off automatic driver updates in Device Installation Settings (see below) and check Dell's site every 3 months for new drivers. I use Macrium Reflect Free to backup instead of Dell Backup.

Rabbit Hole [​IMG]

Try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check/repair your system files and consider an in place repair install if that doesn't fix your Windows 10 problems. File History can be 'flaky'. I sometimes have to reset it by dong the following:
    • Stop FH
    • Delete FH configuration files at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • Restart FH and select to use the same backup drive as before

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Rabbit Hole

1. Rabbit Hole - Similar Threads - Rabbit Hole

2. Microsoft Account Security Hole

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account Security Hole: I was getting a lot of "Single use code" emails saying:We received your request for a single-use code to use with your Microsoft account.etc.So as it was linked to an old email address I decide to update my email address.on my microsoft account.I do this and I get a verify...
  3. Microsoft Account Security Hole

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Account Security Hole: I was getting a lot of "Single use code" emails saying:We received your request for a single-use code to use with your Microsoft account.etc.So as it was linked to an old email address I decide to update my email address.on my microsoft account.I do this and I get a verify...
  4. Microsoft Account Security Hole

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. I have a laptop that has a output and a input hole for a headphone and a microphone but I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a laptop that has a output and a input hole for a headphone and a microphone but I...: I have a laptop that has a output and a input hole for a headphone and a microphone but I only have a headset. How do I connect the headset to both the headphones and the built-in microphone?...
  6. I have a laptop that has a output and a input hole for a headphone and a microphone but I...

I have a laptop that has a output and a input hole for a headphone and a microphone but I...: I have a laptop that has a output and a input hole for a headphone and a microphone but I only have a headset. How do I connect the headset to both the headphones and the built-in microphone?...
  7. How do I prevent this security hole?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent this security hole?: Windows 11 prevented me from completing installation until I gave it a PIN. That's a bad idea, since that bypasses the username/password requirement to log in to this organization's equipment, so I need to remove it. How is this accomplished? Also, please don't try to justify...
  8. How do I prevent this security hole?

How do I prevent this security hole?: Windows 11 prevented me from completing installation until I gave it a PIN. That's a bad idea, since that bypasses the username/password requirement to log in to this organization's equipment, so I need to remove it. How is this accomplished? Also, please don't try to justify...
  9. why do my pictures proliferate like rabbits? I put on perhaps a couple dozen and now have a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why do my pictures proliferate like rabbits? I put on perhaps a couple dozen and now have a...: why do my pictures proliferate like rabbits once they are on the pc? I add maybe a dozen at a time and when I look, I have MANY of each. What's happening...
  10. Bad Rabbit ransomware: A new variant of Petya is spreading

in Windows 10 News
    Bad Rabbit ransomware: A new variant of Petya is spreading: Bad Rabbit, a ransomware infection thought to be a new variant of Petya, has apparently hit a number of organisations in Russia and Ukraine. In a tweet, Russian cybersecurity firm Group-IB said that at least three media organisations in the country have been hit by...