Windows 10: RAID 0 Improvement- I've never had an array fail with modern HDD's

Discus and support RAID 0 Improvement- I've never had an array fail with modern HDD's in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi folks I've been using a server for a few years now running 24/7 (OS on SSD and data on a RAID 0 arrary of 4 X 5 TB HDD's) -- I know if I get a fail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimbo45, Mar 28, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

RAID 0 Improvement- I've never had an array fail with modern HDD's

Hi folks

I've been using a server for a few years now running 24/7 (OS on SSD and data on a RAID 0 arrary of 4 X 5 TB HDD's) -- I know if I get a fail I lose the whole array but a lot of data is multi-media etc which isn't changed a lot and I have backups. I also run VM's (performance is much faster in this way) and PC backups from Lan plus file shares (media streaming etc).

I read all these things about saying don't use RAID 0 - use RAID 10 -- but the performance is much better with RAID 0 and these days decent HDD's are reliable --and in any case if you have backup it's easy to re-build the array.

If you use RAID 10 you do get some improvement - not as great as pure RAID 0 though but of course you reduce the data volume size due to the amount set aside for mirroring / striping so recovery is possible with the loss of up to half the array.

I tested also with 2 arrays of 2 X 5TB each but the 4 X 5 TB array was far better. (Note if you do this type of thing on a Linux / NAS server the HDD's can be all different sizes too so a good way of using old HDD's as well.

As always with these things --Risk to reward ratio !! but if you have backups then to me the speed / performance advantage of RAID 0 is well worth it - the convienience of having a massive data store staves all the problems of HDD's getting full / moving stuff around / organising volumes etc.

Keep the OS on an SSD and it's really fine. Pesonally given the reliability of HDD's these days then there isn't a problem in using RAID 0. A lot of people on these boards have RAID cards or use Software RAID on NAS type systems -- it's worth looking at RAID 0 if you need more space / performance but ensure you have backups.

Most people aren't running military grade systems which require mission critical availability at all times and the falure these days of HDD's - even consumer grade ones is grossly overdone.

When large volume cheap SSD's are available the improvement will be even more dramatic !!!! especially file sharing / multi-media sharing lwhen a few users on LAN.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 28, 2019

2. raid 0 array installation

im trying to install windows 10 on a raid 0 array and when i select the drive to install to it splits the array and then cannot install to either parts

Me

the array is 3 1TB drives. it sees it as 3 TB in the installation manager, but when i try to select it it splits it to a 2TB drive and a 1TB drive. it then wont let me install to either drive

I have windows 10 pro

I set up the array in bios and all is well

I boot to installation media dvd and it says "a media driver your computer needs is missing.

I select the new raid driver and install it.

Then it asks for installation destination, it sees my 3 TB array but when i click on it it separates it into a 2 TB drive and a 1TB drive and then it gives me an error saying " we couldnt install windows in the location you chose. please check your media
    drive. heres ore info about what happened: 0x80300024"

IsaacLintner, Mar 28, 2019
  3. Adding an internal hdd after Raid 0 but system keeps adding it to Raid configuration

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop with Windows 10 installed on in Raid 0 on two identical Seagate Barracuda Sata Hdds. I'm trying to add a Samsung 2TB internal hard drive. After activating the appropriate Sata location in the bios (Sata2. The two Raid
    hdds are on Sata1 & 4 with my optical drive on sata0), the computer tries to boot with the Samsung drive in Raid and freezes on the boot screen. How do I make my computer recognize this drive strictly as an additional sata hdd without it attaching it to the
    raid array?

Thanks in advance,

Miles

MilesDavisThaBoss, Mar 28, 2019
  4. RAID 0 Improvement- I've never had an array fail with modern HDD's

[FIXED] "Optimise Drives" lists the partitions on my 3 x HDD RAID 0 array ( C: and System Reserved ) as being Solid State Drives

...and therefore the system tool will not defrag them. chkdsk and sfc /scannow display no errors. The BIOS has nothing specifically related to SSDs and BIOS settings remain unchanged. Aida64 sees the RAID array being comprised of HDDs. msinfo32 lists
    the RAID volume as a "Fixed Hard Disk". So what's up with the disk optimiser?

I don't know how, why, or when this happened nor how to fix it. Is there a flag in the registry I can set to change the media type?

Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586.3 (64-Bit)

mobo: Rampage II Extreme

CPU: intel i7-965

storage: 3 x 600GB WD Caviar Black HDD ( Raid 0 ), Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB (note that the latter two HDDs are correctly listed as HDDs.

Anthony Neville, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

RAID 0 Improvement- I've never had an array fail with modern HDD's

1. RAID 0 Improvement- I've never had an array fail with modern HDD's - Similar Threads - RAID Improvement I've

2. Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10: I created a RAID 0 array on my machine and used it as my boot disk for Windows 10. When I went to Windows 11 I wanted a larger boot drive so I upgraded to a GEN 4, 4TB NVME SSD and used that.When I enable RAID in my bios it recognizes the old array and contains the correct...
  3. Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 won't recognize RAID 0 array created with Windows 10: I created a RAID 0 array on my machine and used it as my boot disk for Windows 10. When I went to Windows 11 I wanted a larger boot drive so I upgraded to a GEN 4, 4TB NVME SSD and used that.When I enable RAID in my bios it recognizes the old array and contains the correct...
  4. creating Raid 0 fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    creating Raid 0 fails: I have 24 HDD. This holiday season, I received four Seagate Exos enterprise X16 16 TB HDD. They connected to my motherboard using SAS . When I try to create a stripped raid with just 2 HDD, Disk Management FAILS. Same result for a two disk pool using Storage Spaces. Help!...
  5. Lock Out ...I've never had a pin...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lock Out ...I've never had a pin...: Hi I got my PC rebooted today operating Windows 10 home. Im trying to start up the laptop and I'm stuck at the lock screen. It requires a PIN to login... unfortunately Ive never had a PIN before or maybe i had one and forgot it... I'm not sure, but I've always just hit the...
  6. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  7. How to delete RAID 0 array

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to delete RAID 0 array: Hi, I want to delete RAID 0 I made with Storage Spaces. I'ts 4 HDDs and one is having problems. It still works, but I have problem deleting or moving some files. Tried eliminating the HDD from the array, but it won´t let me (stuck at 0,04% use for months) Tried from the...
  8. Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?

Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?: After installing Win 10 Pro 64-bit, my internal HDD RAID 0 array began to show an error on one of the 2 drives at start up (Listed as "error occurred" in red text on the screen that usually has all white text on a black screen), and also it's been acting funny, intermittently...
  9. M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?

M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?: ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 mobo Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVME PCIe SSDs M.2 drives in M.2 slots 1 and 3 on mobo Can a RAID 0 array be created with the 2 drives? Is it advisable to do so? (I have learned over the years that not everything that CAN be done...
  10. Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD

Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD: I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my W7 drive then rebooted into W10 deleted the array in Disk Management, deleted the array in the controller BIOS and then...