Windows 10: RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

Discus and support RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 5, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

Hi folks

for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM)

This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also applies to Linux Hosts (and any VM's running on a Linux host too).

you need to ensure you change the default : (This applies to all RAID 0 whether on boot device or not).

Caution: Kernel 5.3.4 and RAID0 default_layout – Webentwicklung

note also those who suggest switching to LVM -- it's a get around but if its speed you are after RAID 0 still is far faster.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 5, 2019

2. RAID 5 Windows 10 Host OS Running CentOS-Linux in VirtualBox

This is my first time using a Virtual Machine so please forgive my ignorance.

My computer is running Windows 10 and then in VirtualBox I'm running CentOS. I have 3 new 1TB HDDs. I want to run the 3 drives in a RAID 5 configuration and then use the RAID 5 in CentOS. If I setup a RAID 5 in Windows 10 (the host OS) will CentOS recognize the RAID 5?

Or do I need to setup the RAID 5 in my VM? If I'm running RAID 5 in my VM can I also access those drives directly through my host OS (Windows 10)?

Michael Gill, Nov 5, 2019
  3. RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?

No I do not know of a drive that would cheaply do compression. I am sure the major drive makers could provide something.

Please join TechNet.

RAID 3 is more complex than you seem to think. And in the old days, before RAID 5 was readily possible, it was the go to solution where Reading was more important than Writing.

RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10 are the ones really used today. Raid 3 is not a reliable, cheap, or good practical method to provide data integrity.

https://datapacket.com/blog/advantages-disadvan...

More on the problem with RAID 3.

https://blog.open-e.com/raid-2-raid-3-raid-4-wh...

http://www.data-recovery-app.com/datarecovery/r...

https://www.slideshare.net/ShitalShinde2/raid-l...

=========

Frankly, in your situation I would use individual drives and have a good backup plan or spring for RAID 5 (and still have a good backup plan).

Rob

Rob B. - MVP, Nov 5, 2019
  4. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?

----- What is RAID-3 on the cheap? -----

RAID-3 on the cheap is a 2-drive RAID-0, plus a smaller, 3rd drive. The 2-drive RAID-0 is standard, not anything special. The 3rd drive is a dedicated parity drive. It's the 3rd drive that makes it a RAID-3. But it's not an ordinary RAID-3.

How is it different from ordinary RAID 3? The RAID-0 & the 3rd drive are written only once. The 3rd drive is then unplugged & put away (to be taken out solely to rebuild the RAID-0, if needed -- hopefully never).

Compression is applied to the 3rd drive to halve its size. For example, if the RAID-0 is 2 x 8 TB, the 3rd drive will be 4 TB.

In theory, if the RAID-0 data is truly random & block size is very large, the 3rd drive can be nearly half its usual size. In practice, 1- to 2-percent of the RAID-0 data will be structured, and block size will be the entire RAID-0, therefore, the (compressed)
    3rd drive is almost guaranteed to be less than half its usual, uncompressed size.

----- Is there an existing software product? -----

Data Write: The user creates a RAID-0 as usual, no special handling, no special software.

Parity Write: The software reads the RAID-0 & writes a compressed parity stream to the 3rd drive.

Rebuild: The software reads the 3rd drive & uses the decompressed parity stream to rebuild the RAID-0.

Advantage of RAID-3 on the cheap: The 3rd (parity) drive is only half its usual size.

Disadvantage of RAID-3 on the cheap: The RAID-0 must reasonably be treated as read-only (or write-rarely).

The application is home theater. Thus, once it's written, the 3rd drive can be unplugged & put away.

Can Win10 Storage Spaces accomodate the compression needed to realize RAID-3 on the cheap? Or will RAID-3 on the cheap require special software?

Thanks, and Warm Regards,

Mark.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

1. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's) - Similar Threads - RAID linux kernels

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  4. External Thunderbolt 3 RAID Device Disconnecting.

External Thunderbolt 3 RAID Device Disconnecting.: Hello everyone, I've reached the end of my competence in trying to fix an issue I'm having with my PC. This site has been very useful in searching for possible solutions, so I'm hoping you can help me fix my specific problem. The issue is my external RAID array, an ARECA...
  5. Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux: Hi folks for those who have NAS (Linux) type servers / Linux VM's or Host Linux systems it's dead easy to set up jobs that run say every hour or whatever - use for this would be scheduled backups etc etc. I've got a simple 1 line example here of running an email to myself...
  6. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  7. VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS

VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS: Hi folks This script (I got from the net somewhere - can't remember though) should fix the problem with VMware and updated kernels when using Linux Hosts put this script in the vmmodules install file - usually this one : /etc/kernel/install.d/99-vmmodules.install...
  8. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels: Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux Host run : wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz cd...
  9. RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?

RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?: ----- What is RAID-3 on the cheap? ----- RAID-3 on the cheap is a 2-drive RAID-0, plus a smaller, 3rd drive. The 2-drive RAID-0 is standard, not anything special. The 3rd drive is a dedicated parity drive. It's the 3rd drive that makes it a RAID-3. But it's not an ordinary...
  10. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...