Windows 10: RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...

Discus and support RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I created a RAID 1 array using Windows Storage Spaces with two of my 2 TB WD HDDs. One of them has failed, now the other doesn't show up in Windows'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MyWholeTeamsDead, Dec 19, 2019.

1. RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...

So I created a RAID 1 array using Windows Storage Spaces with two of my 2 TB WD HDDs. One of them has failed, now the other doesn't show up in Windows' drive listing under My Computer (as expected).

Two questions I have:

1) Do I just plug a new, identical drive in? And it'll restore the RAID array? Or what do I do?

2) Can I boot into Linux and extract the data from the working drive if needed?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/MyWholeTeamsDead
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MyWholeTeamsDead, Dec 19, 2019
  2. Bazsl1 Win User

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I am not going to use hardware RAID. I want to use Windows Storage Spaces to create the RAID 1 array from two identical hard drives.

Do I install Windows on the first hard drive then create the RAID array using Storage Spaces?

When I create the RAID array will Windows automatically mirror the Windows installation including the boot partition to the second drive so the RAID array is bootable?

Are their any steps unique to this setup that I must follow when installing Windows or creating the RAID array so that the RAID array will be bootable?

Bazsl1, Dec 19, 2019
  3. Ethan Z. Win User
    Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management
    Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives,
    so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to
    mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB
    at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

Ethan Z., Dec 19, 2019
  4. smig Win User

RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...

creating RAID-1 array

I have a great success *Rockout :rockout:
    I write this post now while the array is created.

thanks to LairdDrambeg - read it here - http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=52856

the trick is to create a single HD striping (RAID-0) array and to migrate it to double HD mirror (RAID-1) array.

here are the steps one by one:
    1. back up your valuable data *Wink RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the... ;)
    2. connect your new HD to the system.
    3. Enable RAID in your BIOS, and add RAID support for the new HD only. reboot.
    4. you'll be prompted to go into the RAID setup (F-10) - do it, and add the new blank HD into a new RAID-0 array (Striping). when asked to clear the disk hit N, though the disk is new and empty.
    leave your old HD (the one with the data on it) out of any array
    this is importent to load the RAID drivers into windows.
    if you simply try to install the RAID drivers and the NVIDIA MediaShield they won't be installed since there is no RAID hardware.
    Save and exit.
    5. when Windows reload it will find the new hardware (your new RAID array). this is the time to reinstall the nVidia chipset drivers and MediaShield.
    6. after all driver installed you'll ask to reboot. do it and make sure the system is loading correctly. Look in the device manager for the nVidia nForce RAID controler and nVidia nForce serial ATA control, under the SCSI and RAID controlers.
    7. Restart your system, go back into the BIOS and enable RAID for the old drive too. Save and reboot.
    8. Go into the RAID setup (F-10), remove the new HD from the RAID array and leave it unessigned.
    create a new RAID-0 (striping) array, this time with the old HD. When asked to clear the disk hit N doh' *Stick Out Tongue RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the... :p. Save and reboot.
    9. When Windows load you'll see the media shield Wizard saying you have an unessigned HD. Close the wizard and open the media shield (nVidia control panel - Storage).
    10. select the Migrate ption, and migrate the existing RAID-0 into RAID-1, adding the new unessigned HD.

Good luck *Toast :toast:

Thema:

RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...

1. RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the... - Similar Threads - RAID array created

2. How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?: I have a Storage Spaces 3 disk parity array that suddenly had 2 drives marked as unhealthy and removed from the array nearly simultaneously. This of course took the drive associated with the array offline and should have rendered it unrecoverable, though I have not bothered...
  3. How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?: I have a Storage Spaces 3 disk parity array that suddenly had 2 drives marked as unhealthy and removed from the array nearly simultaneously. This of course took the drive associated with the array offline and should have rendered it unrecoverable, though I have not bothered...
  4. Creating a RAID-5 using Storage Spaces in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a RAID-5 using Storage Spaces in Windows 11: Hi, first time posting here. I tried to search but I couldn't find and I don't know if this is something very specific or not.I want to try the new Storage Spaces in Windows 11. Some years ago I bought an external enclosure with 5-bay for hard drives and also provide RAID 5...
  5. Creating a RAID-5 using Storage Spaces in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a RAID-5 using Storage Spaces in Windows 11: Hi, first time posting here. I tried to search but I couldn't find and I don't know if this is something very specific or not.I want to try the new Storage Spaces in Windows 11. Some years ago I bought an external enclosure with 5-bay for hard drives and also provide RAID 5...
  6. Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces: Hello, We recently purchased a new server which we will be using to support several of our SQL databases. The server contains 4 NVMe drives that will be used for the database files. The server is running Windows Sever 2019. We would like to use Storage Spaces to “manage”...
  7. Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array: The volume was mostly backed up. My video shoot this weekend 6 hours work I cannot reshoot was not backed up yet, so I desperately need to repair the array somehow. The device is a Lacie 2TB Bolt 3 Thunderbolt. It is a pair of SSDs packaged in one unit. It was configured...
  8. Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?: I have an old desktop pc (Dell Inspiron 620) that I want to use as a home file server. This PC will only hold two hard drives. I would like to install two identical 4TB drives and have Windows treat them as a RAID 1 array. Is this possible? If so, are there instructions for...
  9. Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell

Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell: My problem is pretty simple, I set up a 2 X 960 Evo SSD simple volume with Storage Spaces and performance was no better than using the drives singly. Some research seems to say that using the Storage Spaces gui in Win 10 only sets the columns to 1 when what I need is 2....
  10. Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array: Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management Console is not up to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Nvidia Mediashield Raid download