Windows 10: RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions

Discus and support RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I built my first PC and successfully set up RAID 1. I copied a file to it and then in turn unplugged each hard drive to confirm it was written to both.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Chrispy_Reddit, Jan 6, 2020.

1. RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions

I built my first PC and successfully set up RAID 1. I copied a file to it and then in turn unplugged each hard drive to confirm it was written to both. Then copied over 1TB worth of my files.

I decided to reinstall Windows 10 Home on my NVME hard drive that is not part of the mirror RAID and have not set up my RAID yet. When I plug both HDD's in it still shows as a Storage Space though. Is it something that once set up is independent of Windows, like do you use Storage Spaces in Windows to set up this relationship between drives in the BIOS or something? I don't understand how this relationship could still exist.

My concern is that when I plug in the first of my formally RAIDed HDD's it has all 1TB worth of my files. If I unplug it and plug in the other HDD it does not. Why would that be? Was it not working all along and I somehow mistook what I saw when I confirmed the proper mirror before I decided to reinstall my OS? Shouldn't I be able to plug either in and see all my data?

submitted by /u/Chrispy_Reddit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Chrispy_Reddit, Jan 6, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Hi there

I believe to use mirror / striping in RAID 1 configuration on Windows you need to use Storage spaces - so set the 2 HDD's into a storage space and then you can adjust striping / mirroring.

How to set up RAID in Windows 10 - Windows 10 - Toms Hardware

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 6, 2020
  3. akkha Win User
    Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Solved

I don't use software raid 1 anymore. Instead setup Storage Spaces (Two-way mirror)

akkha, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Bazsl1 Win User

RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I am not going to use hardware RAID. I want to use Windows Storage Spaces to create the RAID 1 array from two identical hard drives.

Do I install Windows on the first hard drive then create the RAID array using Storage Spaces?

When I create the RAID array will Windows automatically mirror the Windows installation including the boot partition to the second drive so the RAID array is bootable?

Are their any steps unique to this setup that I must follow when installing Windows or creating the RAID array so that the RAID array will be bootable?

Bazsl1, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions

1. RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions - Similar Threads - RAID mirror Storage

2. Raid 10, windows storage space error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raid 10, windows storage space error: HI,I built a "software" raid 10 using this howto :I had a power outage, and , I can't access it anymore...It seems not having any problems, expect I don't have the "disk" mounted in windows.I have a space alert, but no way to repair it from windows:Thanks a lot....
  3. Raid 10, windows storage space error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raid 10, windows storage space error: HI,I built a "software" raid 10 using this howto :I had a power outage, and , I can't access it anymore...It seems not having any problems, expect I don't have the "disk" mounted in windows.I have a space alert, but no way to repair it from windows:Thanks a lot....
  4. Storage Space Mirror

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  5. Storage Space Mirror

Storage Space Mirror: I have a two way mirror with two external harddrives and I'm wondering how to recover the files if one of them crashes. I've tried to plug one of the drives into another computer and it won't recognize it. How will I get my files if one of them fails?...
  6. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  7. Storage Spaces and mirroring

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces and mirroring: If I have a drive that already has data on it, is it possible to setup a new Storage space and mirror that drive to it?For example; I have drive D:\ which has data on it. I want to add another drive for D to mirror to. Both drives are the same size, is this possible or will...
  8. Storage Spaces and mirroring

9. Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1: Setup: Windows 10 Pro updated to 20H2 1x 600GB HDD with OS Win 10 Pro, updated to 20H2 - all fine 2x 4TB HDD in RAID 1 two-way mirror using Windows Storage Space -ERROR All worked fine for 8 months, but while moving system to a new case, all of a sudden mytwo-way mirror...
  10. RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1: I am having the following problem in trying to set up a Mirrored RAID https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d4481ae?page=2 Seems to be a 20H1 issue sure hope they fix it 155456

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows home raid 1