Windows 10: RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?

Discus and support RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ----- What is RAID-3 on the cheap? ----- RAID-3 on the cheap is a 2-drive RAID-0, plus a smaller, 3rd drive. The 2-drive RAID-0 is standard, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MarkFilipak.Windows, Mar 30, 2019.

1. RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?

----- What is RAID-3 on the cheap? -----

RAID-3 on the cheap is a 2-drive RAID-0, plus a smaller, 3rd drive. The 2-drive RAID-0 is standard, not anything special. The 3rd drive is a dedicated parity drive. It's the 3rd drive that makes it a RAID-3. But it's not an ordinary RAID-3.

How is it different from ordinary RAID 3? The RAID-0 & the 3rd drive are written only once. The 3rd drive is then unplugged & put away (to be taken out solely to rebuild the RAID-0, if needed -- hopefully never).

Compression is applied to the 3rd drive to halve its size. For example, if the RAID-0 is 2 x 8 TB, the 3rd drive will be 4 TB.

In theory, if the RAID-0 data is truly random & block size is very large, the 3rd drive can be nearly half its usual size. In practice, 1- to 2-percent of the RAID-0 data will be structured, and block size will be the entire RAID-0, therefore, the (compressed) 3rd drive is almost guaranteed to be less than half its usual, uncompressed size.

----- Is there an existing software product? -----

Data Write: The user creates a RAID-0 as usual, no special handling, no special software.

Parity Write: The software reads the RAID-0 & writes a compressed parity stream to the 3rd drive.

Rebuild: The software reads the 3rd drive & uses the decompressed parity stream to rebuild the RAID-0.

Advantage of RAID-3 on the cheap: The 3rd (parity) drive is only half its usual size.

Disadvantage of RAID-3 on the cheap: The RAID-0 must reasonably be treated as read-only (or write-rarely).

The application is home theater. Thus, once it's written, the 3rd drive can be unplugged & put away.

Can Win10 Storage Spaces accomodate the compression needed to realize RAID-3 on the cheap? Or will RAID-3 on the cheap require special software?

Thanks, and Warm Regards,

Mark.

:)

MarkFilipak.Windows, Mar 30, 2019

2. Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

WEll i took on this project for PP hes a hardware reviewer and wants to get the professional looking pics for the Pc parts

Materials:
    • Big cardboard box
    • a razor
    • white material 3 yards
    • cone lights
    • stapler
    • medical tape
    • pvc pipe about 6 inches longer than your box
    • white paint any cheap finger paint would work
    the project I'm guessing will cost me $30 if it works out properly
    I will post pictures and step by step as i do it

MomentoMoir, Mar 30, 2019
  3. Steevo Win User
    Is it possible to easily setup Raid-1 on this system ?

Get the six core CPU's I listed, at 3.3Ghz per core they will more than handle any calculations you throw at them for years to come, and with matching RAM in tri channel you will have a very strong setup.

My only other suggestion is a full RAID card like the one I listed with SSD's (in RAID 1)for the OS and programs, and then a RAID 5 array for backup and any large files on the board with a offsite final backup

Steevo, Mar 30, 2019
  4. RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?

Cheap Photo box that will get the job done

keep us posted. i'll be interested in this as i've been wanting to do one for a while.

Chicken Patty, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible?

1. RAID-3 on the cheap -- is it possible? - Similar Threads - RAID cheap possible

2. RAID

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAID: I’m new to VMware and need some help. I am running VMware Ent V17 I think. I have a VM image Windows 11 Pro 22H2 x64 which was built in AHCI mode and is fine. Every machine with AHCI mode works fine with that image. Only when we try to use that image with a RAID based mode...
  3. RAID

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAID: I’m new to VMware and need some help. I am running VMware Ent V17 I think. I have a VM image Windows 11 Pro 22H2 x64 which was built in AHCI mode and is fine. Every machine with AHCI mode works fine with that image. Only when we try to use that image with a RAID based mode...
  4. RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 0 is myth / RAID 0 is not possible / RAID 0 is a lie / RAID 0 is not possible on...: Hello, I am interested to know if RAID 0 exists or not? I have an external HDD drive which states RAID 0 is possible. However, I am not sure if RAID 0 is possible or not. There are no softwares which promotes RAID 0 creation. I have tried everything and I do not believe in...
  5. is it possible to recover data from Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    is it possible to recover data from Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD: Good Day, Q.1 if i use Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD mode, and one of the 4 drives fails the others will still be readable/accessible ? Q.2 in Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD mode, when one of the drives fails can i replace it without broken the JBOD mode ? Q.3 Can i simply remove the...
  6. External Thunderbolt 3 RAID Device Disconnecting.

External Thunderbolt 3 RAID Device Disconnecting.: Hello everyone, I've reached the end of my competence in trying to fix an issue I'm having with my PC. This site has been very useful in searching for possible solutions, so I'm hoping you can help me fix my specific problem. The issue is my external RAID array, an ARECA...
  7. Intel RAID Web Console 3 (RWC3) for Windows Advisory

in Windows 10 News
    Intel RAID Web Console 3 (RWC3) for Windows Advisory: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00259 Advisory Category: Software Impact of vulnerability: Escalation of Privilege Severity rating: HIGH Original release: 06/11/2019 Last revised: 06/11/2019 Summary: A potential security vulnerability in the Intel® RAID Web Console 3 (RWC3) for Windows*...
  8. USB 3 dual bay HDD storage with built in RAID

USB 3 dual bay HDD storage with built in RAID: Hi there This is a Brilliant device for people who need to add more storage without having to go NAS route etc etc. HornetTek X2-U3 JBOD USB 3.0 (HT-3210U3) - DUAL BAY - JBOD - HDD ENCLOSURES Cost 50 EUR -- small -- just a tiny bit bigger than the actual HDD's...
  9. Are nested storage spaces possible? (Like RAID 0+1)

Are nested storage spaces possible? (Like RAID 0+1): I recently had a 3TB hard drive fail on me, and I am trying to come up with a much better solution for storing my data so that I don't have to recover everything from CrashPlan again. My plan is to have two 3TB Hard drives connected in RAID 0 (Simple Space) so that I have 6TB...
  10. Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives

Beware of some cheap USB 3 (not USB 2) thumdrives: Yep, many cheap USB3.0 sticks are just marketing. In the end they have nothing to do with USB3.0 in any way. Speed is horrible, and compatibility even worse. *Smile