Windows 10: Ralink Linux Client showing up in Windows Network

Discus and support Ralink Linux Client showing up in Windows Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre preloaded with Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when I go to File Explorer and click on Network it shows something called "Ralink... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by john262, Oct 14, 2015.

1. john262 Win User

Ralink Linux Client showing up in Windows Network

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre preloaded with Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when I go to File Explorer and click on Network it shows something called "Ralink Linux Client" connected to my home network. When I select its properties the only information I get is it's MAC address. But the funny thing is when I check my router's list of connected devices the Ralink Linux Client doesn't show up on my router's list even though it shows up on Network on my computer. I am using a Buffalo WHR-300HP router. I also have a Thinkpad notebook computer running Windows 7 Pro on my home network and this phantom device never shows up on Network on the Thinkpad. This Ralink Linux Client comes and goes on my Thinkcentre showing up sometimes but not all the time.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Should I have any concerns about my network security? I have thought about using MAC address filtering on my router to block that Ralink's MAC address but I haven't done it yet.

I tried researching this on the Web and apparently others have had this problem too both with Windows 7 and Windows 8. But I am reading conflicting information about what might be going on. One forum poster suggested that this means that the router connected to the network is picking up another router within range. Someone else suggested that this is actually something to do with the local router's internal components.

If anyone can help with this I'd appreciate it. I know very little about routers and Windows networking and I am quite lost here. My main concern is whether it might be a security threat or not. Thanks.

edit - My Thinkcentre is connected to my router via Ethernet. My Thinkpad is connected wirelessly.

:)

john262, Oct 14, 2015

2. Why does Ralink Wireless Access Point show in my computer? I never install such type of router but I show it at my networks.

*Original Title: Ralink Wireless Access Point

what is Ralink Wireless Access Point show in my computer. I never install such type of router but I show it at my networks.

pradip kumarnepal, Oct 14, 2015
  3. ralinklinuxclient

The Ralink Linux Client is most likely the internal chipset of the router itself. Ralink is a popular wireless adapter manufacturer used by a lot of well known companies. HP, Netgear, GIGABYTE, D-Link, Belkin etc...

This device should be nothing to worry about. If you want more information I would suggest contacting Netgeardirectly. You can access their support here: Netgear Support.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down

Click Network adapters

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If not, press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Network adapters

Right click your adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart. Windows 10 should detect the network adapter then reinstall it. Check if you can connect and browse.

also try:

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status

Scroll to the bottom then click Network reset.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 14, 2015
  4. badcat Win User

Google says it may be the routers chipset, among other things. See this link.
    Ralink Linux Client - Google Search
    I used to see a cell phone pop into my Network places once in a while. I checked in my router settings but it never appeared in the connected devices list. I don't see it anymore but that could be because I moved. I just figured it was a neighbor with a smartphone that had his WiFi turned on.
    I didn't worry too much about it because it never showed up in my router and all my devices are whitelisted. Moving was a bit of a drastic way to get rid of it, but it worked! *Smile

badcat, Oct 15, 2015
  5. john262 Win User
    Thanks. I already read that it might be my router's chipset. But that doesn't explain why it only shows up on my Win10 machine and not on my Win7 machine since both are connected to the same router and the same workgroup. I also considered that it could be a neighbor's cell phone looking for a wifi connection but I have turned off SSID and the problems persists.

I do have a plan however. I am using a Buffalo router but I still have an old functioning Network router in storage. I am planning when I get time to swap out the Buffalo for the Netgear and see what happens.

john262, Oct 15, 2015
  6. AndreyT Win User
    I have Netgear Nighthawk router and I see the same device in my list. This is indeed the router. A lot of different routers are based on that "Ralink Linux Client".

AndreyT, Oct 25, 2015
  7. Nope the R7000 uses broadcom chips. So this is incorrect.

remixedcat, Nov 4, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

It shows in Windows 10 but not in 7 because the two versions identify the same device with a different name and also show different content in Network and Sharing Center. If this is part of the router, I would not worry. The simplest thing to do is change your Wi-Fi password, so any neighbor trying to get free access he will be blocked out.

spapakons, Nov 4, 2015
  9. AndreyT Win User
    I was referring to R8000, but yes, it is Broadcom as well. In that case my "Ralink Linux Client" probably hides inside a D-Link switch...

AndreyT, Nov 4, 2015
  10. Zach97 Win User
    I have both a windows 10 and a Windows 7 as well and have this problem on both of them, and there is a camera showing up also. All of these show up periodically but not all of the time.

I'm also concerned about a possible security threat.

Zach97, Apr 25, 2017
  11. spapakons Win User
    No problem, as said before, change your Wi-Fi password and they won't be able to connect again.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ralink Linux Client showing up in Windows Network - Similar Threads - Ralink Linux Client

2. Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer: I was going to do my reanalysis for Hurricane Sandra of 1985 but I couldn't find Linux in Windows Explorer and that's where the data for the storm is located in can someone help....
  3. Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer: I was going to do my reanalysis for Hurricane Sandra of 1985 but I couldn't find Linux in Windows Explorer and that's where the data for the storm is located in can someone help....
  4. no networks are showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no networks are showing up: i just recently bought a windows 10 thomson laptop, when i was setting it up no networks were showing up i thought it was being weird so i just skipped that part, but once i was done setting up my laptop the networks still went showing up i tried restarting it and enabling...
  5. no networks are showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no networks are showing up: i just recently bought a windows 10 thomson laptop, when i was setting it up no networks were showing up i thought it was being weird so i just skipped that part, but once i was done setting up my laptop the networks still went showing up i tried restarting it and enabling...
  6. No network shows up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No network shows up: Hi, I am in the middle of setting up windows 11 however, when I get to “lets connect you to a network” nothing shows. I have tried putting in an ethernet and got nothing. Any other solutions?...
  7. No Networks Showing Up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Networks Showing Up: I got on my computer today, and it said I wasn’t connected to a network. Upon checking I can see that there’s no networks that I can connect to. Does anyone know how to fix? (p.s. drivers are up to date and network discovery is on) submitted by /u/habu_jabi [link]...
  8. No networks showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No networks showing up: Please help me i have tried everything, all the tutorials dont work and i have reset my laptop twice, nothing works[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-networks-showing-up/d1cc3727-4e95-4a0a-a37c-d387553ef56b
  9. Windows network not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows network not showing up: I’m am defiantly not a computer wiz and was resorting to google to help remove some potentially harmful viruses from my computer. I didn’t make it very far until I believed I deleted something that I shouldn’t have and after staring at it blankly for half an hour getting...
  10. Ralink Linux Client showing up in Windows network

in Windows 10 News
    Ralink Linux Client showing up in Windows network: [ATTACH] Many Windows users have reported an entry named RalinkLinuxClient is listed among Computers as a part of the network upon opening This PC. Upon observing the same, the first perception is that the system might be hacked. We cannot deny [...] This post Ralink Linux...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ralinknewageclient

2. ralink showing up on my tp link network

3. RalinkUnixClient driver

4. tp link ralink linux client,
  5. Ralink Wireless Linux Client,
  6. ralink linux client for hacking,
  7. ralink linux client on network,
  8. ralink wireless linux client ?? On my network?