Windows 10: RAM memory idling higher than normal

Discus and support RAM memory idling higher than normal in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I let my dad use my laptop for work over the weekend. He left open maybe 30 tabs between word, pdf, and chrome; some downloads too. I noticed my RAM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Yintwin, Nov 19, 2019.

1. RAM memory idling higher than normal

So I let my dad use my laptop for work over the weekend. He left open maybe 30 tabs between word, pdf, and chrome; some downloads too. I noticed my RAM memory is now idling at 30%. I read that this is due to cached data? How can I remedy this?

submitted by /u/Yintwin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Yintwin, Nov 19, 2019

2. Is 40% Memory Usage at Idle Normal for a Computer with Low Specs?

I have a brand new laptop computer and I have been having some trouble with processes taking up a lot of CPU, disk and memory resources. After a lot of tinkering, I fixed every problem except for having 40% memory usage at idle. I still think having such a high memory usage at idle is a red flag, but then I remembered that this is not my desktop PC, I have very modest specs on this laptop.

• CPU: 7th gen i5
    • RAM: 4GB
    • Memory/Storage: 128GB SSD

Maybe 4GB of RAM is barely enough to keep the core processes afloat? Can anyone with some experience on the matter let me know what they think? I'd like to know what is a good baseline for performance so I know when I should stop troubleshooting for leaks/other issues.

RAM memory idling higher than normal jexWI.png

Arash Howaida, Nov 19, 2019
  3. Is 40% Memory Usage at Idle Normal for a Computer with Low Specs?

The amount of RAM that Windows shows as "in use" on an idle system is almost always practically meaningless.

Windows (like Linux) is a demand-paged, virtual memory operating system: The OS pages things in when and as they're needed (that's the "on demand" part). "Need" is evidenced by hard page faults. "Things" are sets of pages of code and data.

A great deal of this happens when the OS starts up. At OS startup time a great many programs that are parts of the OS, plus many more that you installed, are launched. After their initialization steps, most of them don't do much most of the time - this is why your CPU usage will show near-zero.

Now, if you don't need the RAM for anything else (because the system is, as you say, idle and has been since startup) the OS has no reason to page any of that stuff out - and since some of those programs might need some of it again soon, there is reason to keep it in RAM.

But if new programs that you start later need more RAM than what's currently available, Windows will automatically reduce the amount of RAM held (the "working sets") by idle processes to make room. Writing to the pagefile is one method used here, but not the only one.

You don't need to worry about it, and you don't need to do anything to "optimize" it, unless you have performance issues when running the apps you need to run. In which case you're no longer worried about Windows' idle memory usage. RAM memory idling higher than normal ;)

See my longer answer here.

Jamie Hanrahan, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Fortitude Win User

RAM memory idling higher than normal

Memory use shoots up to 99% after idle time

I'm facing this problem in the last few days. Memory use according to Task Manager goes up to 99%, CPU reaches 80% and the PC becomes almost totally unresponsive.

Based on similar threads I installed RAMMap and here's what is shown.

RAM memory idling higher than normal [​IMG]

I installed Poolmon and ran it and this is what I get.

RAM memory idling higher than normal [​IMG]

Please note that the first entry does not show a tag. Is this normal?

According to the rest of the listing I should investigate Volsnap.sys and atc.sys. Could you advise what are the next steps?

Fortitude, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

RAM memory idling higher than normal

1. RAM memory idling higher than normal - Similar Threads - RAM memory idling

2. Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle.PS: If your system very clean, Idle L3 ClocksRyzen can >500MHz. but U can be noticed 23H2 prevent L3 Clocks low than 1000MHz.L3/Highest Core Clock synchronization = Real CPU Clock at idle...
  3. Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle.PS: If your system very clean, Idle L3 ClocksRyzen can >500MHz. but U can be noticed 23H2 prevent L3 Clocks low than 1000MHz.L3/Highest Core Clock synchronization = Real CPU Clock at idle...
  4. Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-23h2-idle-power-consumption-higher-than-22h2/115b4fb9-7d58-4640-b0e3-27ccf0d02bb7
  5. Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2

Win11 23H2 Idle Power Consumption Higher Than 22H2: 23H2 use More CPU Power at system idle. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win11-23h2-idle-power-consumption-higher-than-22h2/115b4fb9-7d58-4640-b0e3-27ccf0d02bb7
  6. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes: My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time, and I'm not entirely sure why. For example, running games that my computer should be able to handle and used to be able to...
  7. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes: My computer is a fairly decent one, built for gaming and higher speed quality. I have been having performance issues that seem to get worse with time, and I'm not entirely sure why. For example, running games that my computer should be able to handle and used to be able to...
  8. Memory and CPU are higher than the combined total of active processes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Dwm higher than 3gb memory usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dwm higher than 3gb memory usage.: So I recently noticed that dwm started to use way more memory than it needs and I couldn't find a solution so far from what I've seen. submitted by /u/chuckdankst [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lwewhv/dwm_higher_than_3gb_memory_usage/
  10. Memory and Disk Usage higher than usual.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory and Disk Usage higher than usual.: Hi, Recently my Memory and Disk usage have been higher than normal e.g my memory used to sit about 10-15% with only firefox open now runs up to 40% and disk averaged 3% with again just firefox open and now goes up to 20% at random. The disk usage problem is being caused by...