Windows 10: RAM slot information not detected by utility software

Discus and support RAM slot information not detected by utility software in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an Asus Vivobook X505ZA and was trying to figure out what my current hardware was to upgrade accordingly. I tried CPU-Z and HWiNFO and for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sasuunarines, Dec 27, 2019.

1. RAM slot information not detected by utility software

I have an Asus Vivobook X505ZA and was trying to figure out what my current hardware was to upgrade accordingly.

I tried CPU-Z and HWiNFO and for some reason, they can't detect any memory module in both RAM slots. They however, display that I have 4 GB of RAM which is correct. I just wanted to know more info on my current RAM (like manufacturer, model, etc) to make wise upgrade decisions?

And for those of you asking, yes. I did run these utility hardware apps with admin rights. Any thoughts?

submitted by /u/sasuunarines
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sasuunarines, Dec 27, 2019
  2. rinjo Win User

System not detecting slot 1 with 4GB RAM.

I found the reason why the RAM in the other slot is not getting detected.
    In laptop RAM slots the pins on the bottom connector are a little curved so that it can push the RAM to make contact with the pins on the top connector when we press-fit the RAM in its place. The fit is such that the RAM is held in place with all 204 pins in contact.
    In my laptop, the pins on the second slot are not having enough curvature on the bottom pins. Hence, when I place the RAM in the slot and press it down, the pins never get connected to the top connector. Moreover the connection is so loose that I can easily slide the RAM out of place even after press-fitting it. So, the RAM is never detected! *Sad

Unfortunately my laptop is long out of warranty and nothing will be done by the OEM.
    The only way I can now upgrade is to put an 8 GB RAM in the slot which is working fine (easier way) or get the RAM connectors changed.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

--

rinjo, Dec 27, 2019
  3. bobkn Win User
    System not detecting slot 1 with 4GB RAM.

I can't quite make out the picture in the service manual for the Pavilion G6 2005AX, but I believe that the SODIMMs are retained in the usual manner: metal clips that capture the notches on the ends of the modules. The normal way to mount a SODIMM is to push it into its slot, and then pivot it about the end with the contacts until the clips latch the SODIMM.

(It's significantly different from how a desktop DIMM mounts.)

That doesn't match what you describe. I can't explain the discrepancy.

I'm not sure, but the laptop may not accept 8GB DIMMs.

bobkn, Dec 27, 2019
  4. RAM slot information not detected by utility software

Ram slot

Greetings my friend. Like 'Mike P', my dell has only two slots as well. There are several laptops that have four (4) ram slots. Lenovo, ASUS, some HP's and some dell's. I would suggest going to a website like newegg.com, or other computer accessory place,
    and looking at their memory/ram selections. Reading their details should provide some insight as to the number of slots.

Of course, if your budget allows, the more ram you have, the better the laptop will be.

I hope this helps.

Derek

DerekW USA, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

RAM slot information not detected by utility software

1. RAM slot information not detected by utility software - Similar Threads - RAM slot information

2. Corsair iCUE software not detecting RAM [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Corsair iCUE software not detecting RAM [Fix]: [IMG]In this article, we will see what you can do if the Corsair iCUE software is not detecting RAM on your Windows system. The Corsair iCUE software allows users to control RGB lighting on their computers, but some users have reported that they cannot do this because the...
  3. need help with ram slots

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    need help with ram slots: so i have 4 slots 2 black 2 gray one black is A1 the next gray is A2 then same color order but B1and B2 im using 2 sticks 16gb should they both be in A1 and A2 or what order??...
  4. need help with ram slots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need help with ram slots: so i have 4 slots 2 black 2 gray one black is A1 the next gray is A2 then same color order but B1and B2 im using 2 sticks 16gb should they both be in A1 and A2 or what order??...
  5. RAM memory slots not working !!!

RAM memory slots not working !!!: After replacing the paste on the processor, the RAM slots do not work. I had 4 busy, at the moment I have 1 and 3 busy, I put the memory in slots 2 and 4. It causes that the computer does not start and after a few seconds, reset itself. Can I fix it somehow? 182999
  6. The software shows 2 RAM slots but can't find the second slot?

The software shows 2 RAM slots but can't find the second slot?: Toshiba has ended support for laptops since 2016 so I am writing here. If anyone can help me, I would be very much grateful to you. My laptop is Toshiba Satellite C55 B5296 Windows 10 Home upgraded from Windows 8.1 My laptop is about 10 years but fulfilled all my needs so...
  7. Ram 4 slot Question

Ram 4 slot Question: I already have 2 x 8 gb ram and speed is 3000 mhz and i can overclock it to 2800 mhz two ram without issues. I Just bought another 2 x 8gb ram same model same speed. But if i insert 4 all ram i cannot run it on 2800mhz. it always reset to default 2133mhz. Already cleared...
  8. Windows 10 and BIOS does not detect one RAM slot anymore

Windows 10 and BIOS does not detect one RAM slot anymore: Hi there. I've been working with my laptop for a couple of years. It was manufactured with 6GB of RAM, one 4GB placed in slot #1 and another 2GB placed in slot #2. I was actually working fine with it, but suddenly i figured a big performance problem in my laptop, after two...
  9. System not detecting slot 1 with 4GB RAM.

System not detecting slot 1 with 4GB RAM.: Hi, My laptop came installed with a 4GB RAM in slot2. The other slot has been free. Today I bought another 4GB module with same specifications and after inserting to slot1, it did not get detected. I swapped the modules, and the new RAM is functioning perfectly. However,...
  10. RAM Or mobo ram slot problem

RAM Or mobo ram slot problem: Noobie here! Just wanna ask cause I'm having troubles determining whether the ram or ram slot is the problem in my pc. My pc's been recently having BSOD saying "Machine check exception". I've tried every solutions online but it doesnt fix the problem, every time I try to...