Windows 10: Ram upgrade cause large page file

Discus and support Ram upgrade cause large page file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a ssd, upgrade from 4 to 8gb of ram and noticed the page file got larger.. When I remove the 4gb I added then it goes back to its previous size... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steven Campoli, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ram upgrade cause large page file

I have a ssd, upgrade from 4 to 8gb of ram and noticed the page file got larger..
    When I remove the 4gb I added then it goes back to its previous size
    Why is this?

:)

Steven Campoli, Dec 27, 2018
  2. psyko12 Win User

Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Dec 27, 2018
  3. Is there a way to make Windows 10 only use RAM and disregard Paging like before?

Hello,

Windows can run without a page file if you have a large amount of RAM, there’s no performance benefit. However, disabling the page file can result in some device trouble. If programs start to use up all your available memory, they’ll start crashing instead
    of being swapped out of the RAM into your page file. This can also cause issues when running software that requires a large amount of memory, such as virtual machines. Some programs may not run. Here's the step on how to manage page file:

• Click Start, type Advanced System Settings into the Start menu and press Enter to open it.
    • Click the Settings button under performance.
    • Click over to the Advanced tab and click the Change button in the Virtual memory section.

Note: Windows automatically manages your page file settings by default. You should leave these settings and let Windows decide for you.

Looking forward to the result.

Regards.

Marvin Barc, Dec 27, 2018
  4. MatTheCat Win User

Ram upgrade cause large page file

System Paging File Help

I have two seperate Physical HDD's and found that having two Paging Files running was causing quite a bit of microstutter in my gaming performance.

I turned off the Paging File for my D drive leaving only the C functional.

I have 4 GB RAM so I set my paging file to min & max 6GB RAM as I understand 1.5* system ram is the optimal number to set your paging file to.

hth.

MatTheCat, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

Ram upgrade cause large page file

1. Ram upgrade cause large page file - Similar Threads - Ram upgrade cause

2. Will upgrading cause file loss

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will upgrading cause file loss: Will upgrading my 32 but oc to a 64 bit oc cause file loss! If not how to we do it safely. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-upgrading-cause-file-loss/b6e04044-8dd8-451a-bee8-e091cc46a089
  3. Page file causing a bootloop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Page file causing a bootloop?: I've been trying to make sense of why my machine started acting up and getting constant BSODs after shutting down or restarting from desktop. The error in question is "PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA." Checked online, and the only thing that seems to work consistently is...
  4. What's the optimal page file size on a 16GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the optimal page file size on a 16GB RAM?: Hi! What's the optimal page file size to allocate on a 16GB RAM? I'm more into gaming and I read a lot of stuff about increasing the page file size to prevent crashes but really don't know it's functions. Some say set the minimum and maximum to 16GB but I noticed I lose those...
  5. 16GB RAM, no paging file set

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    16GB RAM, no paging file set: From time to time I get thrown out of an online game. COD Warfare. I have 16Gb RAM and have turned of the paging file so that everything runs in memory and is much faster. Any risk of losing data is accepted. I can only find reference to a solution that relates to...
  6. page to large foor screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    page to large foor screen: my paagee is to large for my screen and the system options only allow fr -75 -50 ext. making the page to large/small https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/page-to-large-foor-screen/b0f9b1d5-154c-4e74-86ec-75ffc21db596
  7. RECOMMENDED PAGE FILE SIZE FOR 4GB RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RECOMMENDED PAGE FILE SIZE FOR 4GB RAM: Anyone point me in the right direction on a read about this please. TY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recommended-page-file-size-for-4gb-ram/3c3bc12e-71fe-4447-a87b-046de76fbfb3
  8. Anyone else experience an abnormally large paging file?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Anyone else experience an abnormally large paging file?: For some time now I have noticed my performance in games aren't meeting my specifications. I was always blaming my CPU or GPU. But I think I finally found out what is causing the mediocre performance. Viewing MSI Afterburner I realized that my paging file while gaming...
  9. Page File After Just Upgrading to 16gb of ram

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Page File After Just Upgrading to 16gb of ram: HI All Had a few questions, right now the page file is system managed on my C:\ SSD drive, just recently upgraded to 16gb of ram, is there anything I need to do to optimize performance of system, and optimal page file config? First time having 16gb of ram in any of the...
  10. Large files on external drive cause system to hang

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Large files on external drive cause system to hang: Hi all, I have an HP Spectre laptop. I work in television and have to transfer very large files (70-100gb each). When a drive containing those files are connected, the system will hang - sometimes for a short time, sometimes it requires a hard boot. Not sure what is causing...