Windows 10: RAM Upgrade to 32GB, windows 10 won't start

Discus and support RAM Upgrade to 32GB, windows 10 won't start in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently purchased 32GB of Crucial DDR3 to upgrade my PC. My mother board supports up to 32GB (4 x 8). Currently I have 16GB installed (4 x 4)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kualum2002, Jan 30, 2016.

1. RAM Upgrade to 32GB, windows 10 won't start

I recently purchased 32GB of Crucial DDR3 to upgrade my PC. My mother board supports up to 32GB (4 x 8). Currently I have 16GB installed (4 x 4) Running Windows 10 64 Bit Pro installed on my 128GB SSD. When I change out the memory, and boot up the PC, it gets past my BIOS, and boots to the OS, the black screen appears with the blue windows logo, and after a few minutes, the white loading pin wheel appears at the bottom. The PC then sits in this state indefinetly. When I with the ram back to my original 16GB configuration, the PC boots instantly as expected.

Not sure if there are some extra steps for Win 10 to install additional memory. Not sure if MS ties the Win 10 reg keys to Hardware config?

Thanks.

:)

kualum2002, Jan 30, 2016

2. I am unable to use all the RAM in my computer.

<Original Title: Ram upgrade.>

I have windows 10 home 64 bit...i upgraded from 16gb of ram to 32gb of ram....when i check to see if my ram is recognized it says i have 32gb installed and 23.2 usable...how do i make all 32gb usable?

DonaldWard78, Jan 30, 2016
  3. what is ram support for Windows 10

My question is in regards to the chart showing 512GB for win 10 Pro 64bit. I currently have win 10 Pro 64 bit installed with 32GB of ram( which worked prior to the upgrade) and Windows is only utilizing 24GB of the full 32GB. So this leads me to wonder
    is my upgrade corrupt or is this a ram address issue . Either way by this occurrence the chart is irrelevant.

josephbriley, Jan 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

RAM Upgrade to 32GB, windows 10 won't start

This is what I would do:

With the 16gb installed and Windows 10 running, use Win+R for the run dialog. Run msconfig. Select the boot tab. Check the box for safe mode, leave everything else alone. Do not restart when it asks to. Go to the normal power icon, hold down shift key when you click shutdown.

After the shutdown, install the 32gb RAM. Restart the computer. It should boot into safe mode. Go to settings, system, about. See if the 32gb shows up in safe mode (if it boots into safe mode).

To get out of safe mode, go back to msconfig and uncheck the safe mode block and restart. It will be a start at troubleshooting anyway.

If it won't boot into safe mode, then put the 16gb back in and restart, it will go into safe mode - use msconfig to uncheck the safe mode check box and restart to normal.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  5. I will check this out and see if maybe getting it into Safe mode and will register the new config with Windows.

kualum2002, Jan 30, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    • Double check with your MB manual if the RAM is on the compatibily list
    • Make sure all the RAM sticks are firmly seated
    • Go into BIOS, under System Status and check for Total Physical RAM. Should be 32GB
    • Most of the time, The RAM voltage is set to Auto, manually set the voltage according to the RAM Spec.
    • If all fails, relax the RAM timing a little bit.

topgundcp, Jan 30, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    Try 2x8 and see if the computer will boot. If it does shut down and take out the memory and try the other two 8GB sticks. You may have some bad memory.

Winuser, Jan 31, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

Yep. Good suggestion also. However, I would try with one stick at a time to better isolate the bad one.

topgundcp, Jan 31, 2016
  9. Winuser Win User
    I didn't know you could use just one stick. I always thought it had to be done in pairs. Learn something new every day. *Smile

Winuser, Jan 31, 2016
  10. It can be run as a single stick, but you loose out on some performance gains that dual channel gives you. The amount of gain is debatable and varies by use, but most will agree the performance is better in a dual channel setup versus single channel.

DeaconFrost, Jan 31, 2016
  11. alachofa Win User
    Hello guys,

I'm having an issue with booting in windows 10 after upgrading ram.

I have 2x4gb Cruical Ballistic Sport DDR3 1600Mhz (1.5v) and then I upgraded it with 2x8GB, same company, same model, identical.
    Here's the thing, before updating bios to UEFI (Gigabyte ZA-68X-UD4-B3-it supports up to 32gb-8gb dimm) I didn't even get in the windows with 16gb. Windows repair center or something came up. Everytime some other file was corrupt or missing.. But now I get in, but only when I install 2x4gb and 1x8gb but can't get in with 2x8gb, that's weird right? Or not, I just don't know a lot about these things.... BIOS recognizes all 24, if I put em all in. Tried increasing voltages but nothing helps, didnt go higher than 1.7. I'm confused and it's driving me crazy.

Maybe I would have gotten in with 2x4 and 1x8 on previous bios firmware, can't remember if I tried or not.
    But still, 2x8GB should work fine, right?

Tried almost every solution posted on forums, I need help.

Thanks!

alachofa, Sep 12, 2016
  12. bobkn Win User
    You might have done better to start a new thread, rather than appending to an old one.

Is the Crucial RAM their CT4192350 kit? Should be OK.

I trust that you tried the 2X8 DIMMs in the slots where the 2X4 worked.

Does it help if you try them at the default frequency for the board? (What's that - 1333MHz?)

You could try running memtest86+ (Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool). That can be run from a bootable CD or USB drive, so there's no need to be able to get into Windows.

Good luck.

bobkn, Sep 12, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

Did you uninstall all the Gigabyte programs ? many aren't compatible with UEFI Bios's.

Set mem voltage and timings manually too , you may have to increase other Voltages too to get all four DIMM SLOTS to work properly....you are pushing the Board to it's maximum remember. See Z68 overclocking guides for more info.

KB

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. RAM Upgrade to 32GB, windows 10 won't start - Similar Threads - RAM Upgrade 32GB

2. 45% ram usage on idle with 32GB of ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    45% ram usage on idle with 32GB of ram: Hello, I built my PC this week and I'm already having this issue of high ram usage, any fix I can do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/45-ram-usage-on-idle-with-32gb-of-ram/f78ce375-ea1f-49a8-bca2-4b84d9ace324
  3. 45% ram usage on idle with 32GB of ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    45% ram usage on idle with 32GB of ram: Hello, I built my PC this week and I'm already having this issue of high ram usage, any fix I can do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/45-ram-usage-on-idle-with-32gb-of-ram/f78ce375-ea1f-49a8-bca2-4b84d9ace324
  4. Windows shows 15.9 of 32gb ram

Windows shows 15.9 of 32gb ram: I added 16 more GB to my PC and it showed 32GB.I had to reinstall Windows and now I get 15.9 of 32gb ram.Showa hardware reserved 16.1GBI have tested ram sticks on their own and they work fine. But if I install 1 I get 15.9GB, when before it was 16GGB of ramIf I add 8x8x8 I...
  5. Windows shows 15.9 of 32gb ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows shows 15.9 of 32gb ram: I added 16 more GB to my PC and it showed 32GB.I had to reinstall Windows and now I get 15.9 of 32gb ram.Showa hardware reserved 16.1GBI have tested ram sticks on their own and they work fine. But if I install 1 I get 15.9GB, when before it was 16GGB of ramIf I add 8x8x8 I...
  6. 32GB ram not working correctly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    32GB ram not working correctly.: So I brought some DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 2x16GB ram kit and on windows it says 32GB 16GB usable and when I try to enable the XMP profile so the ram runs at 3200Mhz it just doesn't set it to that speed....
  7. 32GB ram not working correctly.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    32GB ram not working correctly.: So I brought some DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 2x16GB ram kit and on windows it says 32GB 16GB usable and when I try to enable the XMP profile so the ram runs at 3200Mhz it just doesn't set it to that speed....
  8. 32GB ram not working correctly.

9. 32GB Ram crashes windows.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    32GB Ram crashes windows.: Hi, I recently bought new ram for my pc 16GB, 2400MHz. And I already had a ram stick 16GB, 2400MHz. When I add the other ram stick, my windows crashes after or at the moment I log in. When I remove one of them it works. Neither of the sticks appear to be faulty as they...
  10. New Windows 10 PC - 32gb RAM BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New Windows 10 PC - 32gb RAM BSOD: So my windows 10 pc is only a few days old and when it is under any sort of load (rendering video) it gets a BSOD saying Memory Management. 32gb RAM - 4 x 8gb Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 2133mhz 52131

Users found this page by searching for:

1. packard bell one-two m3871 windows 10 wont boot