Windows 10: Ran Windows 10 setup from a partition on an external SSD. Windows setup wiped the entire...

Discus and support Ran Windows 10 setup from a partition on an external SSD. Windows setup wiped the entire... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good evening,I wanted to reïnstall Windows 10 cleanly on my laptop so I created an ISO with the official media creation tool on another PC. With this I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by deenigewouter, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Ran Windows 10 setup from a partition on an external SSD. Windows setup wiped the entire...

Good evening,I wanted to reïnstall Windows 10 cleanly on my laptop so I created an ISO with the official media creation tool on another PC. With this I used YUMI to create a bootable partition on an external SSD which contained partitions with other data. All fine and dandy. Disabled UEFI, but couldn't wipe the main drive because it was encrypted with bitlocker. Re-enabled UEFI boot and booted the machine to just run the setup from the external ssd.Ran the setup, it said it was going to fetch some updates. Now Windows setup repartitioned the ENTIRE drive and wiped it clean, even it's own setup

:)

deenigewouter, Aug 7, 2021

2. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Aug 7, 2021
  3. Boot windows installation within a partition?

Damnit, I knew thats what you wanted with your first post! I deleted my post because JMCSLOB confused me lol.

Hm, if you Follow this guide (Replace words "flash driive" with 160GB hard drive) How to Create a Bootable Windows 7 or Vista USB Drive for both partitions and then to do a dummy install of windows 8 on the last part of the HDD it should give you the option to boot Windows 7/8 Installer or boot into windows 8.
    Edit: On step 4 you will want to make sure you size the partition correctly... or you can use the windows gui tool in control panel.

Once you get that far you can just delete windows 8 from the boot menu using MSCONFIG and delete the partition.

slyfox2151, Aug 7, 2021
  4. Scrizz Win User

Ran Windows 10 setup from a partition on an external SSD. Windows setup wiped the entire...

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Aug 7, 2021
Thema:

Ran Windows 10 setup from a partition on an external SSD. Windows setup wiped the entire...

1. Ran Windows 10 setup from a partition on an external SSD. Windows setup wiped the entire... - Similar Threads - Ran setup partition

2. BSOD during setup of Windows on SSD from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD during setup of Windows on SSD from USB: I followed this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html in order to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Home onto my SSD from my hard drive.Now I am experiencing BSOD when attempting to set up Windows. Specifically during the pin setup, Cortana...
  3. Windows 10 setup can't find SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 setup can't find SSD: I am going trough windows 10 setup on new acer laptop without os. In part where you choose where windows 10 will be installed doesn't show SSD. Also I check diskpart and list disk and doesn't show it. It give me message "We couldn't find any drives. To get storage driver,...
  4. Windows Setup can't be installed on partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Setup can't be installed on partition: I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop that was delivered with a Window 10 operating system. At some time I removed Windows 10 and installed ubuntu 18.04 on it and now I want to install Windows again via an USB drive configured by the media creation tool. However at the step...
  5. Windows 10 Setup partitions

Windows 10 Setup partitions: Hey guys, I'm currently trying to install windows on my new SSD and I need to select where do I want Windows installed. I've got two partitions: 1. Drive 0 Partition 1 / 15.0 MB/ MSR (Reserved) and 2. Drive 0 Partition 2: SSD /223.6 GB / Primary. Should I delete the first...
  6. During Setup Windows 10 on an External Samsung T5 SSD on MacBook Pro it says "your pc ran...

During Setup Windows 10 on an External Samsung T5 SSD on MacBook Pro it says "your pc ran...: Hi, I need to use Windows for a software, so, I bought a Samsung T5 SSD & tried to Install Windows 10 Pro on that SSD but during installation it says "your pc ran into a problem and needs restarting" & setup doesn't go through. The process I used follows 1. Downloading...
  7. During Setup Windows 10 on a External Samsung T5 SSD on MacBook Pro it says "your pc ran...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    During Setup Windows 10 on a External Samsung T5 SSD on MacBook Pro it says "your pc ran...: Hi, I need to use Windows for a software, so, I bought a Samsung T5 SSD & tried to Install Windows 10 Pro on that SSD but during installation it says "your pc ran into a problem and needs restarting" & setup doesn't go through. The process I used follows 1. Downloading...
  8. SSD Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Setup: Got my Samsung Pro 256 installed and all software loader OK. Not seeing a lot of difference over HDD yet,In Samsung Magician its says to use AHCI mode,if I set bios to that it will not boot.Is this a must for top performance? Can't get rapid mode set either. Is this Benchmark...
  9. Windows 10 UEFI install, partition setup

Windows 10 UEFI install, partition setup: I am trying to create an autounattend file to install Windows 10 as a UEFI install. I am encountering one problem when it comes to creating the partitions in the unattend file. Windows 10 creates 4 partitions, 3 of which (MSR, EFI and OS partitions) I have no trouble with as...
  10. partition setup

in Windows 10 Support
    partition setup: How to fix a mismatched partition??? Conflict with GPT and MBR on /dev/sda. 3662