Windows 10: Random accessed files showing up

Discus and support Random accessed files showing up in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, I've noticed since my last windows update (10.0.19041 Build 19041) when I go to attach a file in an email and it opens up my "recent items",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/UsernameVoided, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Random accessed files showing up

Hi all,

I've noticed since my last windows update (10.0.19041 Build 19041) when I go to attach a file in an email and it opens up my "recent items", the file I just created will be low down on the list. I just thought it was a little glitch, no big deal really.

However, as it does not happen all the time, I decided to actually go look at some of these random file that are showing in my recent items and in the properties it does say they have been accessed just recently.

Does indexing or anything like that cause a file to be accessed? Some of the files are 1+ year old.

They all seem to be either in my dropbox or my sync folders. But again, as there some that are + years old it's not like they are not sync and no new devices are trying to sync.

Any ideas? I did a full virus scan nothing came up..

submitted by /u/UsernameVoided
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/UsernameVoided, Nov 11, 2020

2. Files not showing in Quick Access

Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance.

Tony Vella, Nov 11, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to see files and folders under the Quick access section.

The Quick access section will show all the recent files accessed under the recent files section and the most recent folder on the left pane.

As per the screenshot provided by you, I can see that the options are already checked. I suggest you to click on the
    Restore Defaults button to restore the settings back to default and check if that helps.

You can also create a new user account and check if the options are working. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Also, I suggest you to run DISM command to check for system file corruptions and repair them. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run DISM scan:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      and press Enter.
    4. Restart the PC.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 11, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Random accessed files showing up

Protecting files on a USB stick?

Even if you restrict access to read only, they can still copy the program. Read access is all copy needs.

My suggestion for simplicity is to create a small file on the drive and mark it hidden as well as marking it a system file, so even if they turn hidden files on the file won't show up. Put this file in a separate folder that is also marked as system, name the folder something random and windows important sounding. So even if they do find it, they won't know what it is and should ignore it. Then make the main program check for the file on execution and exit if the file isn't on the flash drive.

This should fool 90% of people unless they are pretty computer literate.

newtekie1, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Random accessed files showing up

1. Random accessed files showing up - Similar Threads - Random accessed files

2. Intune OneDrive Files On-Demand random files show as accessed when opened in Explorer and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intune OneDrive Files On-Demand random files show as accessed when opened in Explorer and...: We have Files On-Demand configured through the Settings Catalog in Intune w/ storage sense global cadence set to daily.During testing, random files that have not been used in months have a green check mark in a white circle. When we look at properties, these files have been...
  3. Intune OneDrive Files On-Demand random files show as accessed when opened in Explorer and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intune OneDrive Files On-Demand random files show as accessed when opened in Explorer and...: We have Files On-Demand configured through the Settings Catalog in Intune w/ storage sense global cadence set to daily.During testing, random files that have not been used in months have a green check mark in a white circle. When we look at properties, these files have been...
  4. Intune OneDrive Files On-Demand random files show as accessed when opened in Explorer and...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Quick access not showing up properly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access not showing up properly.: Quick access for a while has been broken in a way that forced it to not be able to separate pinned folders and recent files. [ATTACH] The test images aren't being put in a separate category. Meanwhile in a separate virtual machine I use for school, my quick access looks...
  6. Secondary drive not showing up; how to access my files?

Secondary drive not showing up; how to access my files?: Hello, A few weeks ago my main hard drive died. Fortunately ? most of my work files were on other drives. But one of the drives an SSD does not show up in Explorer in the list with all my other drives. Or, only one partition of it doeswhich was set aside for Paging....
  7. Random Drive Partitions That Showed Up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random Drive Partitions That Showed Up: [ATTACH] So I moved my OS from my HDD to a new SSD I bought and then these two partitions showed up and both have low storage but not much in them. G is my External HDD and E is my internal HDD. D and F are random. This is what is in D This is what is in F and the...
  8. Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update.

Files show up but can't be accessed after windows update.: Hi. Im having difficulties with a problem and I am hoping someone can help me. I've looked all over the internet but nothing I read about helps with my problem. My problem is that I just updated Windows with the latest update and my pc is fine. I then plugged in my external...
  9. Files not showing in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files not showing in Quick Access: Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance. 112181
  10. Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs: [img] After I upgraded to Windows 10, I've noticed that my OS drive which is C:\ has random files that CAN be deleted but shows up again after rebooting the OS. I've also noticed that when I connect my external HDD, Toshiba Canvio Simple 1TB, those random files shows up on...