Windows 10: Random Black Screen Crash during gaming

Discus and support Random Black Screen Crash during gaming in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Occasionally and seemingly at random my PC crashes whilst gaming. What happens is my screen goes black, the GPU fans spin up like crazy very noisy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Helvellyn48, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Random Black Screen Crash during gaming

Hi,

Occasionally and seemingly at random my PC crashes whilst gaming. What happens is my screen goes black, the GPU fans spin up like crazy very noisy and I seemingly can't do anything to get out of it except hold the power button to hard turn off the PC. Usually I can still hear game sound whilst this is happening though.

The games in which it happens seem to be World Of Tanks and War Thunder. The tech support from both of them have basically said: "problem is yours, deal with it". It also seems to happen more often on alt-tabbing in and out of games although it can also happen on entering a battle and whilst just clicking through the garage.

It can happen several times in one day and then not happen for weeks with the same use.

NVIDIA have also looked at a CPU-Z log file and said "we cant see anything there so good luck!"

My PC:
    CPU = Intel i7 4790k not overclocked
    GPU = KFA2 RTX 2070 Super EX 1CLICK-OC 8192MB GDDR6 again not Overclocked

RAM = 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP RAM in two 8Gb sticks at 1600MHz

PSU = Corsair SF750W

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA H81M-S2H

Monitor = Samsung CF791 34" ultrawide

OS = Windows 10

Sound = SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC USB hardwired

I keep windows and my the GPU drivers up to date using windows update and NVIDIA GeForce Experience.

I think the motherboard bios is up to date and I think all the other drivers are up to date.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this crash or how to find out?

:)

Helvellyn48, Feb 7, 2021

2. Random black screen crash on windows 7 desktop

Why am I getting a random black screen crash on windows 7 desktop? How do I fix it?

RillaHolmes, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Unable to play video games on Windows 10, black screen after log-in screen

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the Windows 10 operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• From where are you trying to play the video games (downloaded/ from website)?
    • If you are playing games from website which browser are you using?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the game crashes?
    • Are you able log-in to your computer?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

As you see black screen while logging to the desktop, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about this issue, try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 7, 2021
  4. vinsterX Win User

Random Black Screen Crash during gaming

Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130

Hello everyone.

I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random crash/freeze that manifests itself in one of two ways:

1. If I step away from the computer and come back before the monitor is set to go to sleep, I will come back to a frozen cursor, unable to do anything.
    2. If I step away from the computer and come back after the monitor has gone to sleep, I will come back to a black screen, unable to do anything.
    In both cases, I have to hold the power button in to shut down the computer for a restart.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

vinsterX, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Random Black Screen Crash during gaming

1. Random Black Screen Crash during gaming - Similar Threads - Random Black Screen

2. Random Black Screen Crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Black Screen Crashes: Hi all!I've been having issues where my screen randomly goes black and my PC crashes. Sometimes I can still hear audio in the background and sometimes it's a full on crash. Things I've tried:1. Updated all drivers2. Underclocked GPU3. Set GPU to Max performance from Nvidia...
  3. Games randomly crash during playtime

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games randomly crash during playtime: Specs:Windows 11Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32gb 5600mhz DDR5SSD: Samsung 990PRO 2TB M.2PSU: Corsair RM850x Modular 80+--------------------------------------------My games randomly crash whilst I'm in a game, it appears...
  4. Games randomly crash during playtime

Games randomly crash during playtime: Specs:Windows 11Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32gb 5600mhz DDR5SSD: Samsung 990PRO 2TB M.2PSU: Corsair RM850x Modular 80+--------------------------------------------My games randomly crash whilst I'm in a game, it appears...
  5. Random black screen crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random black screen crashes: For almost a year now I've been having crashes with no discernible source, seemingly at random. I could be browsing the internet, playing a game, or literally doing nothing. Sometimes I've had my computer crash after a restart before I can even open a program. When it first...
  6. Random black screen crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random black screen crashes: For almost a year now I've been having crashes with no discernible source, seemingly at random. I could be browsing the internet, playing a game, or literally doing nothing. Sometimes I've had my computer crash after a restart before I can even open a program. When it first...
  7. Random crashing during gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random crashing during gaming: Hello everyone!I have recently bought a new laptop a week ago and strangely whenever I start playing any game in random intervals the game will suddenly crash. The screen freezes and the audio become very choppy. I have no control over the computer and cannot even access task...
  8. Random crashing during gaming

Random crashing during gaming: Hello everyone!I have recently bought a new laptop a week ago and strangely whenever I start playing any game in random intervals the game will suddenly crash. The screen freezes and the audio become very choppy. I have no control over the computer and cannot even access task...
  9. Random Black Screen Crashes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random Black Screen Crashes: My computer will randomly crash to a black screen, continue audio for a little bit, then nothing. This usually occurs when streaming video, but occasionally occurs when browsing or doing something else. However, it has never crashed while playing a video game. I've tried the...
  10. Random black screen during certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random black screen during certain games: Hello, It seems that in some games my computer crushes at random. So far I've experienced it in PlanetSide 2 and Guildwars 2. I'm not the best at analyzing windows events and I couldn't seem to find related information to my crashes... As in crash I mean that the screens...