Windows 10: Random black screen with no cursor when GPU is idle.

Discus and support Random black screen with no cursor when GPU is idle. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I've recently built a new PC and I keep getting a random black screen with no cursor in Windows 10. It seems to be happening on just the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wrighton, Jul 30, 2016.

1. wrighton Win User

Random black screen with no cursor when GPU is idle.

Hi all,

I've recently built a new PC and I keep getting a random black screen with no cursor in Windows 10. It seems to be happening on just the desktop with nothing or a few windows open.
    It has never happened while playing a game but can happen after just 30 seconds of booting up to the desktop and letting it idle.

The only way to fix it is to sleep/wake the PC or restart.
    When it happenes it is just the dispay that goes black and everything else appears to be running fine. I know this because I can do a blind restart with the keyboard commands.

When the black screen appeares I tried plugging in another monitor but the screen on that was just showing bright pink until I restarted. Also leaving the second monitor plugged in after a reastart seems to fix the problem.

I'm at a bit of a loss as I've done multiple reinstalls of Windows 10 and I've not read any issues with the latests Catalyst drivers.

:)

wrighton, Jul 30, 2016
  2. AVandy91 Win User

Display Dims when Cursor is Idle & running on Battery - Windows 10

Display immediate turns black when the cursor is idle and my laptop is running on battery. Once I begin cursor movement again the screen immediately displays correctly until the cursor comes to a rest.

I am running this on a brand new Acer V15 Nitro laptop on Windows 10.

This is not the typical freeze that most people have had in the past, the system works fine with no freezing - seems to be a display issue.

Attempted Solutions so far:

1. Adjust Power Option settings - turned all features related to sleep mode/dimming to 60+ minutes.

2. Update GPU drivers/revert to previous versions (attempted both)

3. Update/refresh Acer drivers (including BIOS)

4. Clean reinstall of OS (Windows 10)

Please note this problem does not occur when plugged-in/charging.

AVandy91, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Black Screen. No response.

Since yesterdays huge upgrade, I am having the continual problem of my computer freezing with a black screen. After idling for a period of time, after my screen saver is running, when I come back to use and hit the space bar, mouse button...whatever brings
    it up, I get a black screen that will not go away. The cursor is there and can be seen but I cannot get off the black screen except for rebooting with the reset button on the PC. Some help would be appreciated

JohnOMeilia, Jul 30, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

Sure seems like it has something to do with you first monitor.

aardvark, Jul 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Random black screen with no cursor when GPU is idle. - Similar Threads - Random black screen

2. Blue screen when idle and random times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen when idle and random times: Help!My computer is experiencing random BSOD and I can't figure out why. I already ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and found no errors. I sometimes get IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error and I forgot what the other one is. I sometimes don't see the error screen because I leave my...
  3. Blue screen when idle and random times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen when idle and random times: Help!My computer is experiencing random BSOD and I can't figure out why. I already ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and found no errors. I sometimes get IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error and I forgot what the other one is. I sometimes don't see the error screen because I leave my...
  4. Blue screen when idle and random times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Random freeze and / or blacks screen when idle

Random freeze and / or blacks screen when idle: Hi. I have an issue where my laptop would randomly freeze and / or the screen will go black and the entire system would be unresponsive. This happens randomly and I can't find what causes it. The system would freeze when I'm watching YouTube, or gaming or when I leave the...
  6. Half a second black screens with cursor at random times

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Half a second black screens with cursor at random times: i have half a second black scererns with cusor at random times plaese help me fix this [Title edited for clarity] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/half-a-second-black-screens-with-cursor-at-random/22381f34-4d77-4389-8907-53ff2278a87c
  7. Random Black Screen Without Cursor

Random Black Screen Without Cursor: Sometimes I randomly get a black screen without cursor when closing out of a game, however it has happened just as many times while I'm out of the room without any game or other app running. It has only happened once before being able to log in and mostly tends to happen a...
  8. Screen goes black when idle for a minute

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen goes black when idle for a minute: I recently changed a setting on my laptop so that when my mouse is idle for a minute my screen goes black, not to sleep as I it was so I could listen to music without a light. Now I need to turn it off as it keeps getting in the way but I cant remember how to turn it off....
  9. Random black screen, no cursor or sound

Random black screen, no cursor or sound: Hi! I recently installed new hardware; Asus ROG x470-F Gaming, Ryzen 5 2600 and G.Skill Trident Z RGB memory. I have updated to latest Windows 10, I have home edition, latest BIOS, latest driver for my GPU, GTX770. My problem is that at completely random times it all goes...
  10. Screen goes black at random times. Sometimes when idle.

Screen goes black at random times. Sometimes when idle.: PC works for a while after screen goes black and then it reboots on its own. I tried reinstalling GPU drivers but that didn't work (used that software that completely wipes them first). I suspect the GPU or PSU might be the culpit here. PSU is 730W Thermaltake Smart SE...