Windows 10: Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER"

Discus and support Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Would it be helpful if I linked you to my post from sevenforum regarding my previous BSODs on it? If so, then here you go Constant BSOD's on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ghost Prodigy, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER"

Ghost Prodigy, Jul 30, 2015
  2. essenbe Win User

Thanks for the link. Sorry you didn't get any help. The info you posted does not help much. We get most of our information from the info in the BSOD Posting Instructions. What it did tell me was that you had a whole lot different of error codes blaming several different things. That usually means something else is wrong. Typically errors should be the same with the same cause. It is unusual for there to be numerous problems all at once. It is usually 1 error and 1 problem. The 2 most prevalent things that will do that, it looks like to me, is that can be caused by bad Ram or a bad hard drive. That is the typical results. When Ram throws an error, whatever driver is most in use crashes and that is what the error reporting picks up. Basically the same with a Hard Drive. When the hard drive is called upon to provide drivers or data but doesn't respond, the driver called for gets the blame. I hope that is understandable. It is also the reason that several dump files together gives us a better understanding on what the problem is. It is also, from a Debugging perspective, why bad ram is the worst problem you can have. It causes all of the dump files to be unreliable.

No test is 100% accurate. But in ram testing, the link I gave is the best one. It is what I use if I think I have ram errors. It is pretty much the 'Gold Standard' for memory tests. There is a big difference between memtest86 and memtest86+. I believe for most hardware people, memtest86+ is the only test they trust. But, even that is not 100% accurate. I hope that explains it a little. There is a lot of 'intuition' that happens when analyzing dump files.

essenbe, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Yeah, that explains it thanks. I'll run the one that you linked me too earlier, and hopefully it has something to do with the ram otherwise it's going to be a pain in the ass to continue digging to try and find the culprit. I'll update you on the results, for now I'll try to see if I can get the old minidump files

4. Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER"

It seems like the old windows files didn't get deleted in case you want to roll back using the windows 10 feature. Here's the old dumps

5. essenbe Win User
    I looked at them and this is what I found

Code: Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff880010fb039, 0, ffffffffffffffff} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for BHDrvx64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for BHDrvx64.sys Probably caused by : BHDrvx64.sys ( BHDrvx64+a8aa0 ) Followup: MachineOwner[/quote]
    Norton, a known cause of BSODs

Code:
    fffff880`033d3018 fffff880`112a288bUnable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
     *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
     *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
     atikmdag+0x2988b[

Graphics driver/CODE]

Code: Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff880045df418, fffff8800317f588, fffff8800317ede0} Probably caused by : Ironx64.SYS ( Ironx64+32418 ) Followup: MachineOwner[/quote]  Norton/symantec. again

Code: Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff8801120196c, fffff8800aaf4bd0, 0} Probably caused by : dxgmms1.sys ( dxgmms1!VidMmDestroyAllocation+2c ) Followup: MachineOwner[/quote]  DirectX but usually caused by Graphics

Code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b) An exception happened while executing a system service routine. Arguments: Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck Arg2: fffff800032477bf, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck Arg3: fffff88008d66bb0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero. USTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1 DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B PROCESS_NAME: aces.exe CURRENT_IRQL: 0[/quote]  War Thunder

Code: Could not read faulting driver name Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiAgeWorkingSet+1d1 ) Followup: MachineOwnerUse !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 50, {fffff707ece7f048, 0, fffff80003288233, 5}[/quote]  
      Code: Could not read faulting driver name Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiAgeWorkingSet+1d1 ) Followup: MachineOwner[/quote]  Remove Norton then use the Norton Removal Utility [url='https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us']https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us[/url] Replace it with 
     Microsoft Security Essentials ([url='http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download']http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...tials-download[/url])

Reinstall your graphics drivers. I will give you some information to try to give you a good clean install. Only install the Graphics driver and nothing else.

I am going to give you some links that will help you get a good clean install and not have any drivers you don't need that will conflict with other drivers. Download a WHQL driver from [url='http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/329659-latest-amd-catalyst-video-driver-windows-7-a.html']http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-c...ndows-7-a.html[/url] . Once you have them downloaded, uninstall you current driver from control panel. next clean up any left over drivers from following this tutorial [url='http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/83814-drivers-clean-left-over-files-after-uninstalling.html']http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nstalling.html[/url] and select only ATI Display Drivers. After you have done that and rebooted, install the new driver, only select custom install and install only what you have to. Very few people need most of what they include. You do not need the audio/HDMI drivers as you already have that in your Motherboard drivers. Unless there is some reason you need them, the only thing you really need is the Display Driver.

essenbe, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Alright, will do that in a bit but do you want me to stop using Norton completely?

Edit: It's just extremely weird that I haven't had any BSOD's since I've changed my gpu back in May

Ghost Prodigy, Jul 31, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    Honestly, I wouldn't use Norton or McAfee. They both cause too many problems. Maybe I don't understand you, but you say you haven't had any BSODs since May, but you have dump files from June and July. There have been reports of a lot of people having problems with AMD GPU drivers in Windows 10.

essenbe, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER"

Another BSOD occured, was playing a game when a small square appeared on the top of the screen, began flickering, and then the bsod occured. Here's the dump, I wonder if the cause is consistent

9. essenbe Win User
    Code: Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80083218880, ffffd000745535d0, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SRTSP64.SYS *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SRTSP64.SYS Probably caused by : SRTSP64.SYS ( SRTSP64+18880 ) Followup: MachineOwner[/quote]
    That is Symantec Real Time Storage Protection. You obviously did not uninstall Norton.

essenbe, Jul 31, 2015
  10. I couldn't uninstall it until I copied my backup files from it, it's uninstalled now

11. I haven't had any bsods for now but I still have visual issues in games such as

Attachment 28473

Ghost Prodigy, Aug 4, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    That looks very much like a video card problem. Please download and run the benchmark for Ungine Heaven UNIGINE Benchmarks. When you first open it, you will have the set up page. set it up simply like this.

Attachment 28482

then click run. When the next page gets loaded and starts moving, click the Benchmark button on the top left and it will run a benchmark and give you a score. just watch your temps, and watch for any artifacting in the picture. This is much more interesting than Furmark.

essenbe, Aug 4, 2015
  13. Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER"

Ran it with norton uninstalled, and got 1 artifact throughout the test

Ran it with norton installed, way more artifacts and eventually a blue screen

It is more than likely that my gpu is defective I guess, it did all begin occurring after I got it. Never had issues with norton beforehand

Ghost Prodigy, Aug 5, 2015
  14. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Aug 5, 2015
  15. I don't have a problem with using microsoft security essentials, I just don't know if it's efficient or not when it comes to detecting viruses since it's free

Ghost Prodigy, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER"

1. Random BSOD when gaming "BAD POOL HEADER" - Similar Threads - Random BSOD gaming

2. BSOD - Bad Pool Header

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Bad Pool Header: In the past few weeks I have been getting BSOD's rather frequently, specifically everytime I am playing a game. But this one caught my attention as the second error hinted at a malfunctioning disk. I have already tried looking for out of date drivers but have not succeeded...
  3. Bad Pool Header BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad Pool Header BSOD: I installed the Linux Bash Shell on my laptop last year. It went fine, and I was able to use it. After getting the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, I get a Bad Pool Header BSOD whenever I try to open the shell. I already tried updating my drivers (using Driver Booster 5.2),...
  4. BSOD Bad Pool Header

BSOD Bad Pool Header: Since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7, my computer would crash once a day with a bad pool header notification. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue, and am coming here as a last resort. Below is my DM Log Collector zip. 32179
  5. BSOD, Bad Pool Header

BSOD, Bad Pool Header: Acer Aspire ES1-711-P14W with Windows 10. I had Windows 10 since Insiders builds and a few weeks ago it started BSODing frequently, mainly DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and BAD_POOL_HEADER, I thought a reinstall would fix the issue but it didn't, I still had 2 BSODs with the...
  6. BSOD BAD POOL HEADER when idle

BSOD BAD POOL HEADER when idle: Hi, I upgraded my Win 7 PC to Win 10 and it works fine but whenever left idle it eventually crashes with a BAD POOL HEADER error. Any ideas how to fix? Thanks, Chris 34613
  7. BSOD - Bad Pool Header

BSOD - Bad Pool Header: I've tested the memory with memtest86, uninstalled recently installed software and updated my drivers with driver reviver. these were the recommendations on other forums and i'm unsure what else i can do to try and fix this. i tried to upload my minidump folder aswell as a...
  8. BSOD Bad pool header

BSOD Bad pool header: I Received the error, A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. BAD_POOL_HEADER Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x00000019 Beginning dump of physical memory Physical memory dump complete. I try many...
  9. BSOD Bad Pool Header

BSOD Bad Pool Header: Hello I have a Laptone Wifi Dongle and a wireless mouse dongle in my USB ports on my Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop. I have uploaded the file dumps for you. I get the BDOS screen occasionally when I am browsing on my computer. Thanks 70566
  10. Bad Pool Header

in Windows 10 Support
    Bad Pool Header: Need to know why this error code appears and then how to fix 28108