Windows 10: Random BSOD's when stressing the PC

Discus and support Random BSOD's when stressing the PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have been getting random BSOD's in the last month or two. I am a Media Production student, therefore I use the PC for video & photo editing,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JakubHebda, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Random BSOD's when stressing the PC

Hi,

I have been getting random BSOD's in the last month or two. I am a Media Production student, therefore I use the PC for video & photo editing, VFX etc. During these activities, when the PC is under high stress, it tends to crush with a random BSOD, such as SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (nvlddmkm.sys / Ntfs.sys), FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and probably a few different ones. At first, I was convinced it was RAM, therefore I checked it with the Microsoft's memtest. The memtest has shown errors, so just to double check I have run a second scan with memtest86 which also shown errors - thousands of errors. I have run the PC on one RAM stick and checked the RAM separately in different DIMM slots - no errors in memtest86. I have installed both RAM sticks back into the machine - no errors in memtest86 (!?).

After giving up on RAM, I have completely uninstalled NVIDIA drivers from the PC in safe mode and installed new drivers downloaded from the nvidia website. That didn't help either. I have tried a clean boot, however in my situation it does not help in any way, as I need to stress the PC to cause a BSOD.

The PC always had problems with shutting down / crushing straight after cold boot when performing any action. However, it would work perfectly fine when left alone for 5-10 minutes after booting. No BSOD would appear, just an instant reset. It was not inconvenient enough for me to start fixing it as I need the PC for everyday work.

I'm really running out of options. I'm considering replacing PSU and RAM, however the more I think about it the less sense it makes to replace anything before finding the cause.

Here are the DMP files, perhaps they can be of some use.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ND0oSQD3Ls-eGWDzUFaAFVD13-IWZc7n?usp=sharing

Thank you for your time,

Jakub

:)

JakubHebda, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Jan 1, 2019
  3. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Random BSOD while browsing internet

BitDefender is nothing special. mwac.sys causes BSODs anywhere.
    A tiny documentation can be found here: Solved Random BSODs - Windows 10 Forums
    In that very thread, the suggested action apparently worked.

The storage and network filters of any third party antivirus can cause BSODs. Neither MBAM nor BitDefender is any special. For a regular antivirus, it may be shifted to an alternative; but MBAM has no alternative. So a clean install of the said program is the most feasible first step.
    As far as the first step is not failing, it is better to not think for the second step. Because the BSODs are not universal, failure at the first step is not universal; and success at the second step is also not universal.
    That is why I posted that my suggestion may work, or may not. Let us see where it goes.

4. Ztruker Win User

Random BSOD's when stressing the PC

Random BSOD while browsing internet

Sorry, Bitdefender is a problem: BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER - mwac.sys - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help - Malwarebytes Forums

Ztruker, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

Random BSOD's when stressing the PC

1. Random BSOD's when stressing the PC - Similar Threads - Random BSOD's stressing

2. Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU: My computer crashes and I get the BSOD stating clock watchdog timeout after freezing when doing a stress test on my CPU - ram tests ok. I have checked the PSU - bought a new one and cooling and used different ram as well. All to no avail....
  3. Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU: My computer crashes and I get the BSOD stating clock watchdog timeout after freezing when doing a stress test on my CPU - ram tests ok. I have checked the PSU - bought a new one and cooling and used different ram as well. All to no avail....
  4. when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when GPU stressed PC crashes and reboots: hi all i have been having a problem for about a year where after 5-10 minutes of me using a GPU intensive program it will restart the pc. once restarted there will be no output from GPU but output from onboard graphics. i have replaced the GPU and power supply there is no way...
  5. BSOD when stressing gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when stressing gpu: Recently i have been getting BSOD while playing games So i stress tested my laptop gpu The Temperature is always 70-80 C But after a while i hear glitching in sounda And suddenly everything freezes and the BSOD appears Everything is updated drivers, windows, everything My...
  6. PC Randomly shuts off when gaming/ stress test.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Randomly shuts off when gaming/ stress test.: Pretty much the title, I am sure that my graphics card drivers and that my hardware is all healthy. Please can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-randomly-shuts-off-when-gaming-stress-test/90b3d318-1eb9-41db-86f9-ee80f95d9fb0
  7. BSOD when playing game or stressing GPU

BSOD when playing game or stressing GPU: Hello guys, My pc works great. I can browse internet, watch movies etc. But when i play game after 5-10 min i got BSOD with lined screen and buzzing sound coming from my headphones. After crash with no error it force me to hard shutdown or reset. When i reset pc or shut it...
  8. Intermittent BSODs when stressed

Intermittent BSODs when stressed: So I have been having intermittent BSODs when my computer is under somewhat heavy stress though occasionally it's when I'm only running one application. Not sure if this is a windows 10 problem I know some drivers aren't quite updated yet. I was having quite regular crashes...
  9. BSOD when pc is under stress

BSOD when pc is under stress: Hello, It has been a couple of months since my desktop computer started to having BSODs, usually when i'm playing. By now i'm almost certain it is hardware malfunction but can't really narrow out the faulty part. Things I've already tried: -Memtest -> No errors -SSD...
  10. Many BSODs when at stress

Many BSODs when at stress: Hi, I'm getting random BSODs like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ; SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION or KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED when playing games. Last time after restarting PC (BSOD) win10 run a disc repair, its going insane. I've tried: -Turning off, on ,and system managed...