Windows 10: Random “clicking” when typing quickly/repeat keys on Surface Type Cover

Discus and support Random “clicking” when typing quickly/repeat keys on Surface Type Cover in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys! I’m trying to help a friend with their Surface Type Cover on a Surface Pro running Win10. It makes a weird clicking (from the speaker, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Too_Many_Mind_, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Random “clicking” when typing quickly/repeat keys on Surface Type Cover

Hey guys! I’m trying to help a friend with their Surface Type Cover on a Surface Pro running Win10. It makes a weird clicking (from the speaker, not the physical keys) when typing very quickly, or holding down a key and it repeats that character. It doesn’t do this with every keystroke; the “make sounds when I type” setting was already disabled.

I can easily duplicate it by holding down a letter key on the keyboard. It’ll display 10 or 20 of the characters then it’ll make a “clicking” noise once or twice. It seems like a keystroke buffer is filling up and “overflowing” for lack of a better description. I remember back in the oooold days when the onboard buzzer would “BEEP BEEP BEEP” when you’d do that.

I slowed down the repeat keys speed, and disabled it altogether, and if I tap one letter really fast it will still do it a little.

I’m really rusty on Win10 so any advice is appreciated!

submitted by /u/Too_Many_Mind_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Too_Many_Mind_, Oct 19, 2020

2. Surface Pro 6 erratically disables attached type cover and displays keyboard icon in system tray

Its likely defective and you will need to get it replaced.

You can always try the following to see if it helps.

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Human Interface Device

Right click Surface Type Cover Firmware Update

Click Update Driver

Click Click Search automatically for updated driver

If it doesn't find an updated driver and says the best one is already installed, in that same window, click Search for updated drivers on Windows Update

This should launch Windows Update and scan for newer drivers.

Repeat this step for:

- Surface Type Cover Integration

Expand Keyboards

- Surface Type Cover Filter Device

Andre for Directly, Oct 19, 2020
  3. Type Cover issues, sporadic behavior in Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below method and check if it helps:

• First of all, basic but very important, please make sure you have all and latest
      Windows updates installed and that they were installed while the Cover was attached.

• Have you tried updating or/and uninstalling and reinstalling the cover drivers? If not, here is how:
    • Click Windows key
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Select Keyboards.
    • Touch and hold over "Surface Type Cover Filter Device”.
    • Select Update Driver Software.
    • Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
    • Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
    • Select Surface Type Cover Filter Device from the list.
    • Select Next
    • Let the install finish.
    • Restart your Surface.

• Additionally, please try the solutions provided in the next support article:
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 19, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Random “clicking” when typing quickly/repeat keys on Surface Type Cover

Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue

Hi Richard,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• Are you facing this issue after wiping the hard drive clean?
    • What goes black when the charger is plugged in? The screen or the type cover?
    • Are you using a Microsoft account or a Local account?

Meanwhile, you may want to go through Troubleshoot your Surface
    Type Cover or keyboard
    to troubleshoot the Type Cover issue.

You may also want to go through What to do if you forget your Windows
    password
    to recover your password.

Note: The article holds good for Windows 10.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Random “clicking” when typing quickly/repeat keys on Surface Type Cover

1. Random “clicking” when typing quickly/repeat keys on Surface Type Cover - Similar Threads - Random “clicking” typing

2. Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!: My Surface Pro 5 type cover keyboard is suddenly malfunctioning. Pressing “c” turns up the screen brightness f2 and tries to launch Cortana. Pressing “enter”shows screen brightness without increasing or decreasing it, then returns $ and carriage return. I can no longer use my...
  3. Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!: My Surface Pro 5 type cover keyboard is suddenly malfunctioning. Pressing “c” turns up the screen brightness f2 and tries to launch Cortana. Pressing “enter”shows screen brightness without increasing or decreasing it, then returns $ and carriage return. I can no longer use my...
  4. Surface Type Cover keyboard malfunctioning!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  6. Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 8 - Type Cover: Is the Surface Pro 8 with Windows 11 compatible with the Type Cover I have for my Surface Pro 4? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-8-type-cover/bf683ef6-108f-40bb-b7f6-cdb5901a8500
  7. Surface Go type cover and handwriting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Go type cover and handwriting: Hi It seems it is impossible to use the handwriting option on screen using the surface pen (Chinese Traditional, in my case) when i have my type cover keyboard attached. when i try the set up handwriting in "setup" - it simply say "there is no handwriting option for this...
  8. Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue

Surface Pro 3 Type Cover issue: I wiped the hard drive the typecover keyboard only lights up when I have almost no Ipower in the battery,as soon as I try to recharge the battery it goes black. I cannot remember the password,I have even tried the password for other things.I am beginning to think I am...
  9. Surface Type Cover stopped

Surface Type Cover stopped: After installing the latest updates, my stopped working I have taken it off and put it back on I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled Then I tried to uninstall the windows updates but they won't stay uninstalled. Any ideas?...
  10. Surface Pro 4 Type Cover

Surface Pro 4 Type Cover: Recently, I have been trying to use my Surface Pro 4 with the keyboard cover, but the keyboard cover has been unresponsive. I have tried everything on your troubleshoot page for the keyboard cover from the two-button shut down to cleaning it to updating and resetting my...