Windows 10: Random crashes, sometimes playing War Thunder, bugcheck: 0x000000c4

Discus and support Random crashes, sometimes playing War Thunder, bugcheck: 0x000000c4 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Need some help - have been experiencing random crashes, sometimes while playing War Thunder. I enabled "driver verifier" and was unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by volcanoscout, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Random crashes, sometimes playing War Thunder, bugcheck: 0x000000c4

Hi, Need some help - have been experiencing random crashes, sometimes while playing War Thunder. I enabled "driver verifier" and was unable to successfully boot on multiple attempts. Each time, I got "Stop code: DRIVER VERIFIER DETECTED VIOLATION", but no code to go with it.

I believe it's associated with the Event 219, The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1. According to various forums, this may be associated with Asus AI Suite 3, and/or an Asus motherboard driver but I never found any actual solutions to the problem.

Previously, I had the Event 219 but the PC wasn't crashing. I attempted to address the error by variations on removing/reinstalling/using AI Suite removal tool, etc., but the error messages persisted. SFC /Scannow, DISM, virus check, malware check, MemTest86 (v4.3 and v7.5) have all been done with no errors, cautions or warnings.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

:)

volcanoscout, Mar 16, 2018
  2. Anne Ros Win User

The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4

Hi,

Bug check 0x000000c4 or DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION can be caused by corrupted drivers, virus or malware infection, driver conflicts after installing new hardware, and corruption in Windows registry.

To help you resolve the issue, we suggest checking these articles below and see if it will work:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Anne Ros, Mar 16, 2018
  3. mgs791 Win User
    The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4

Hi Anne - I've gone back and tested all of the items on the pages you linked, no issues. I've also performed a clean uninstall of video card drivers from safe mode.

I'm going to reinstall Oculus now.

I should point out this is a gaming configuration running iRacing in VR, so I like to avoid driver updates where possible.

mgs791, Mar 16, 2018
  4. Spectrum Win User

Random crashes, sometimes playing War Thunder, bugcheck: 0x000000c4

The three crash dumps you provided are pointing towards ccSetx64.sys, the Symantec/Norton Common Client Settings Driver. However this may be a false positive as driver verifier will find problems with many drivers.

Were you getting blue screens before you enabled driver verifier, or was your computer freezing/becoming unresponsive?

Spectrum, Mar 16, 2018
  5. Hi, I just got to that point too (just did the Debugging Tutorial). Prior to enabling driver verifier, I was having boot hangs (no spinning circle) on cold starts but not on restarts. I didn't associate that with any crashes - thought that was a result of a sub-optimal setting, like Fast Boot or hibernate (both disabled). The BSODs (actually restarts because I didn't disable the restart-on-BSOD in UEFI/BIOS) started happening infrequently, like once or twice a week, maybe two months ago, give or take but I didn't really take notice because they were happening when I was away from my desk. Maybe a week ago, they started happening when I was actually using the PC (websurfing, reading news, forums, etc), so I started digging into Event Viewer listings. In the last two days, the non-verifier BSODs occurred shortly after I started a battle on War Thunder. My first thought was a failing PSU, but it's only a few years old (Corsair 860X) and well within capacity as nothing is overclocked. It's still possible I guess but I'm trying to eliminate all the other possibilities.

One other thing that's started occurring recently is my mouse has been slowing down and/or freezing with increasing frequency. I checked the drivers and USB suspend settings but everything looks like it's supposed to. It may be completely unrelated.

I can't think of any major changes that I've made to the settings or software environment that would have triggered this stuff. Haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the GPUs yet, but that's my next step.

6. Sorry, PSU is AX860 not 860X

7. Update - so, I've Revo uninstalled Norton and AI Suite 3 and CCleaned the leftovers and registry (did this for a number of other programs, too). I also ran a number of the Win10 troubleshooting tools (hardware compatibility, software, etc.) and ran another iteration of MemTest 86 v5.01 (no errors). This appears to have done the trick, at least so far - I've been using my PC quite heavily, including playing War Thunder, and haven't had any BSODs since. I'm not sure which action was the fix, as I didn't try to induce a BSOD between remedial actions. I will enable driver verifier later this morning and see what happens. If I can't induce a BSOD, if I'm feeling masochistic I'll reinstall Norton and AI Suite, one at a time, and see if I can replicate the crashes - maybe I (we) can actually isolate the cause.
    On a separate note, I'm still getting all of my usual errors and warnings in the event log. Any advice on addressing those would be welcome.

8. Spectrum Win User

Which event log errors are you referring to?

If you are talking about the ones from "Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" that is unfortunately normal, but harmless. You can remove these errors (although I'd imagine they will come back in a future update), but it takes some effort and you should know what you are doing when editing permissions.

If you want to see what COM service the GUID maps to, open up regedit.exe and go to Code: "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{$GUID}"[/quote] $GUID is the long hexadecimal string in the event.

For example:

Code: Event[337]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 2018-03-16T07:45:50.493 Event ID: 10016 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: Classic User: S-1-5-21-2543048984-2927865944-2295690734-1001 User Name: TPT-DESKTOP\Ted Computer: TPT-Desktop Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276} to the user TPT-DESKTOP\Ted SID (S-1-5-21-2543048984-2927865944-2295690734-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.[/quote] You would go to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276} in regedit.

After opening the key it should show what service that is.

Then you can open component services (comexp.msc).

From there go to Computers -> My Computer -> DCOM Config -> Find the service in that list

Right-click it, go to Properties -> Security Tab

There you can edit the security permissions (again, only do this if you know what you are doing). Add the permissions that the event is complaining about (in this case the user Ted needs local launch and activation rights)

Spectrum, Mar 16, 2018
  9. Yes, I've tried editing the permissions, including preceding the DCOM permission change with the two registry key permission (reg backed up) changes illustrated here: Event id 10016 runtime broker - Microsoft Community

No luck. I've given up and just changed its autologger enabled dword value to zero. I figure if folks like you that are a lot smarter on this stuff than I am can't figure out a fix, my odds are pretty slim.

What concerns me more is the warning from Event 219 Kernel-PnP, "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1." It's almost as frequent as the DCOM errors but seems to be more closely associated with whatever was causing the BSODs. I've spent many hours scouring forums and support sites for a fix, but no joy. On the bright side, it doesn't appear to be doing any noticeable damage on its own.

volcanoscout, Mar 17, 2018
  10. System seems stable - no shut-downs and everything seems to check out okay on diagnostics. I'm going to call this "solved". Appreciate your input, Spectrum! If you or anyone else wants to way in on the Event 219, that would be very welcome.

volcanoscout, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Random crashes, sometimes playing War Thunder, bugcheck: 0x000000c4 - Similar Threads - Random crashes sometimes

2. BSOD crashes: The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 AND The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD crashes: The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 AND The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2: Hello community members!Since 2 days, I have started getting BSODs out of the blue...excuse the pun. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 I have not overclocked my computernot changed anything recently as was away for 3 weeksran memtest without any...
  3. BSOD crashes: The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 AND The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD crashes: The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 AND The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2: Hello community members!Since 2 days, I have started getting BSODs out of the blue...excuse the pun. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 I have not overclocked my computernot changed anything recently as was away for 3 weeksran memtest without any...
  4. Windows crash when on War Thunder Launcher

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows crash when on War Thunder Launcher: Evetime I'm on the launcher my pc crash link to dump https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ILx73vquqcpc4WwX8RlSLm9ugZczwPzJ/view?usp=sharing I can replicate the crash with the launcher...
  5. Regular FPS drops when playing War Thunder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Regular FPS drops when playing War Thunder: So as the title says I have an issue when playing War Thunder, and to a certain extent CSGO, that is every few seconds I get a frame drop from around 40 on War Thunder to 3 or 4. I have tried going into the Registry Editor and changing a few things per a tutorial I found...
  6. BSOD while playing War Thunder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while playing War Thunder: For two weeks now I've been having crashes on my laptop, usually these crashes result in a BSOD [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT] error other times the laptop hangs and I'm forced to manually reboot. Surprisingly these BSODs only occur while playing War Thunder and no other...
  7. War Thunder now available to play for free on Xbox One

in Windows 10 News
    War Thunder now available to play for free on Xbox One: RA9TGqpbt9k Back in June we started paid access for War Thunder on Xbox One, and those initial three months were incredibly helpful in preparing the game for free-to-play release. Now War Thunder is available for free on the Microsoft Store and we prepared a huge content...
  8. Any War Thunder player here?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any War Thunder player here?: Any War Thunder player here? I'm a War Thunder player here and I'm currently play German. I'm in the progress of researching tier 5 German Tiger 2 10.5cm. I already had Jagdtiger, but just want the Tiger 2 10.5cm because it a good tank with 105mm gun. Yes, the Tiger 2 armor...
  9. Black unresponsive screen when launching war thunder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black unresponsive screen when launching war thunder: I have played war thunder on my new PC since Christmas when I got it. It has worked fine, like everything else, until four days ago when instead of launching the game after pressing the "play" button in the launcher, a black screen appears after a slight but alarming delay....
  10. War Thunder right click problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    War Thunder right click problem.: When playing War Thunder and I right click to zoom it kicks me to windows desktop. The problem does not happen all the time, but does happen at least once during a session. Any ideas what could cause this? 14789