Windows 10: Random ding sound, audio is muted but still plays sound

Discus and support Random ding sound, audio is muted but still plays sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A couple weeks ago my computer's audio started acting weird. There would be a random dinging sound and the audio was louder than normal to the point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Branless, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Branless Win User

Random ding sound, audio is muted but still plays sound

A couple weeks ago my computer's audio started acting weird. There would be a random dinging sound and the audio was louder than normal to the point where even with all audio sources muted it still plays sound. After this happened my computer also no longer picks up my external microphone. What caused all this and how can I fix it? Please and thank you

:)

Branless, Jan 5, 2021

2. No sound while playing audio and video files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the application that you are using to play the files?
    • Did you try the same on a different player?
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the volume is set low or in mute state in Volume Mixer.

• Right click on sound icon.
    • Open Volume Mixer check for the application that you are playing the files with and increase the volume and check.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to run “Playing audio” troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the issue.

Follow these Steps to run Playing Audio Troubleshooter in Windows 10.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Playing audio.

Also refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the sound issue. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 5, 2021
  3. tallguy Win User
    Sound won't come back after muting

Problem:

Plugging headphones (Sound plays) -> Muting -> Unmuting -> Sound doesn't play anymore

Fix (No restart required)

Sound doesn't play -> Mute (with headphones in) -> Unplug headphones ->Unmute (with headphones out) -> Mute (with headphones out) -> Plug headphones -> Unmute (with headphones in).

This is the shortest pattern I could find. Important to follow step by step. It might not work because I have no idea why it works on my end (without starting conspiracy theories about boolean variables being out of sync on the audio driver, which would be the most embarassing thing ever for whoever wrote these drivers).

tallguy, Jan 5, 2021
  4. LPChip Win User

Mute sound of individual app that has no sound playing

There are various ways to mute or alter the volume of an application that makes sound, because once it does, it will show up in the Windows Volume Mixer.

But I'm at work right now and would like to mute my browser before I start playing audio (read: a game) in it.

My computer plays a radio continuously through the speakers, and if I mute my system audio just to hide sounds from this browser, the radio also stops which will tell others that I might play games.

Is there a way to make sure any program but in this specific case, Chrome Browser to never play any audio while other apps on the pc can?

LPChip, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Random ding sound, audio is muted but still plays sound - Similar Threads - Random ding sound

2. Laptop making ding sound .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop making ding sound .: Hello guys ,I got a new laptop couple of days ago and its making a ding sound even after muted and a notice a little hitch when it makes the sound . Everything else is running fine. laptop is super quiet and its not fan noise . Some people told me that it maybe is a HDD sound...
  3. Laptop making ding sound .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop making ding sound .: Hello guys ,I got a new laptop couple of days ago and its making a ding sound even after muted and a notice a little hitch when it makes the sound . Everything else is running fine. laptop is super quiet and its not fan noise . Some people told me that it maybe is a HDD sound...
  4. Sound muted if changes volume while playing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound muted if changes volume while playing: Hi everyone, I have a rather odd problem.My sounds seem to works fine, however if I change volume while sound is playing, the sound is muted. It happens every time doing so.My laptop is running windows 10 and sound is played through computer's internal speakers.Here are what...
  5. Sound muted if changes volume while playing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound muted if changes volume while playing: Hi everyone, I have a rather odd problem.My sounds seem to works fine, however if I change volume while sound is playing, the sound is muted. It happens every time doing so.My laptop is running windows 10 and sound is played through computer's internal speakers.Here are what...
  6. Random ding sound from win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random ding sound from win 10: so i have this problem since yesterday. The ding sound comes in every couple minute. https://soundcloud.com/joo-earn/ding-sound As you can hear about 4-6 second in this recording. Btw i was playing csgo with my fren then. Anyone know whats cause this? I tried to turn off...
  7. Windows 10 System Sound is on mute but it still plays

Windows 10 System Sound is on mute but it still plays: I keep my system sounds mute so I don't get disturbed. Since last update, even though my volume mixer System Sounds are set to mute and set to 0, every time I adjust the volume, I hear the System Sound chime. When I open Settings>Sound>Advanced Sound Options, it shows...
  8. mute the sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    mute the sound: Previously I would click on the speaker in the task bar and be able to mute or unmute the sound. This is no longer working and I can't seem to change it in the settings. Any advice...
  9. windows 10 keeps randomly making a dinging sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 keeps randomly making a dinging sound: windows 10 keeps randomly making a dinging sound https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-keeps-randomly-making-a-dinging-sound/1cb9ef68-259d-4f16-9eab-47807f273834
  10. Sound Plays Even When Muted

Sound Plays Even When Muted: Hello all, I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13, 9360. I leave my sound on mute but the computer will still make noises (when I try to close a file before saving, that bell noise or videos will start playing on open tabs and their sound can be heard). I have tried...