Windows 10: random directory display

Discus and support random directory display in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Each time event Id98 [Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)] triggers, directory of external disk (E:\) is displaying on the screen. I would like to know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pbecavin, May 31, 2016.

1. pbecavin Win User

random directory display

Hi,
    Each time event Id98 [Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)] triggers, directory of external disk (E:\) is displaying on the screen. I would like to know how to suppress this display.
    System files are ok with sfc /scannow
    Thank you for your help

:)

pbecavin, May 31, 2016
  2. mgroeber Win User

Current issues with Ovi-Suite 2.1.1.1

Another issue I found that eventually "broke the camel's back" and made me go back to PC Suite:

When opening the phone's file system in Explorer, files that are changed on the phone are not updated immediately in the directory view on the PC. It is often necessary to disconnect and reconnect the phone to force the directory listing to refresh.

On the other hand, PC Suite includes the alternative "Nokia Phone Browser" icon in Explorer that updates immediately.

I second your observations about the random display of contacts and photos being a potential privacy risk, let alone an unnecessary use of resources.

ciao marcus

mgroeber, May 31, 2016
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    Computer License ID Cancellation

"but how do these people know my name?"

Could be as simple as picking your name out at random from the telephone directory or picking the names of people that the scammers see posting on social media sites and looking those up in the online phone directories.

Ralf_G, May 31, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

random directory display

Ztruker, Jun 1, 2016
  5. pbecavin Win User
    Hi,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Here is the event description I get (sorry, it's in french)

Nom du journal :System
    Source : Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs
    Date : 02/06/2016 10:13:42
    ID de l’événement :98
    Catégorie de la tâche :Aucun
    Niveau : Information
    Mots clés : (2)
    Utilisateur : Système
    Ordinateur : Pc-Triskell
    Description :
    Volume E: (\Device\HarddiskVolume19) est sain. Aucune action n’est nécessaire.
    XML de l’événement :
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs" Guid="{3FF37A1C-A68D-4D6E-8C9B-F79E8B16C482}" />
    <EventID>98</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-02T08:13:42.879684300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>70628</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="9596" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Pc-Triskell</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="DriveName">E:</Data>
    <Data Name="DeviceName">\Device\HarddiskVolume19</Data>
    <Data Name="CorruptionActionState">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I have done a "chkdsk" control for C: and E: disks. There is no problem.
    Thank you

pbecavin, Jun 1, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Look through Task Scheduler qas I mentioned, see if anything in there could be triggering this, any kind of disk activity.

Ztruker, Jun 2, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    You said you ran chkdsk for C: and E:. How exactly did you do this? Please explain for both drives, thanks.

The Eventid 98 is: Volume E: ( \ Device \ HarddiskVolume19 ) is healthy. No action is required.

Look for scheduled task having to do with Disk maintenance or checking.

Ztruker, Jun 3, 2016
  8. pbecavin Win User

random directory display

Hi,
    In fact, my problem came from USB disk interface which was given up the ghost (random connexion and disconnexion).
    Thank you for your replies

pbecavin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

random directory display

1. random directory display - Similar Threads - random directory display

2. Desktop is displayed like a directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop is displayed like a directory: Hello everyone,I use Windows 10 Education edition on a self-built desktop computer, and it has worked fine for a couple of years now. However, when I started my PC today, the desktop was displayed as if it was a typical directory - exactly like here:...
  3. Desktop is displayed like a directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop is displayed like a directory: Hello everyone,I use Windows 10 Education edition on a self-built desktop computer, and it has worked fine for a couple of years now. However, when I started my PC today, the desktop was displayed as if it was a typical directory - exactly like here:...
  4. Desktop is displayed like a directory

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Reset the displays randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reset the displays randomly: Dear Community I had this machine where HP laptop running Windows 10 connecting to 2 external Dell monitors via Toshiba docking station. The laptop sets as main display. Occasionally, the displays get reset to only a laptop screen - other screens are black. Sometimes the...
  6. Reset the display randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reset the display randomly: Dear Community I had this machine where HP laptop running Windows 10 connecting to 2 external Dell monitors via Toshiba docking station. The laptop sets as main display. Occasionally, the displays get reset to only a laptop screen - other screen are black. Sometimes the...
  7. Explorer displaying User Name not directory path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer displaying User Name not directory path: Hi I have been issued with a works laptop.with Windows 10. I logon with user nam,e e.g. R12345 anmd the home directory is C:\Users\R12345. When I change to C:\Users\R12345 or pin it for quick access Windows Explorer is displaying the folder as my user name "Ray, Sanjay",...
  8. Explorer and CMD display different directory contents

Explorer and CMD display different directory contents: Can anyone explain this? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-cmd-display-different-directory/65706aaf-70fc-4c4f-8558-2338393a3713
  9. Random files in all directories

in Windows 10 Support
    Random files in all directories: Hello, All over the desktop and in random folders on my USB stick I have XSL stylesheet files. The seem like Office/World style templates. If I delete them they reappear when office is opened. I tried to repair office but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas why these are...
  10. Randomly generated hidden folders in the Users directory.

Randomly generated hidden folders in the Users directory.: Hello, there are these weird user folders getting generated in the Users folder, they seem to delete themselves and regenerate every day and I have no idea what they are or for, is it for Windows Update? The names of this files are weird too like angels-wore.sql...