Windows 10: Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD

Discus and support Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Bought my computer from CyberPower PC in early December 2020 and the computer ran great with zero issues until mid January. Been getting a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DanJLFF14, Apr 10, 2021.

1. DanJLFF14 Win User

Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD

Bought my computer from CyberPower PC in early December 2020 and the computer ran great with zero issues until mid January. Been getting a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD for 3 months now and all my troubleshooting hasn't solved it. It's been the same Bug Check Code when I use BlueScreenView to read the minidump file, and the code is 0x00000133. It seemed to only occur when running games, Discord, or an internet browser while on YouTube or Twitch or a combination of these. This BSOD is extremely random, it can happen multiple days in a row or it won't happen for extended periods of time i.e: last BSOD was 4/9/2021, the last few times before that were 3/22/2021, 3/20/2021, and 3/19/2021. This BSOD seemed to start happening after updating Windows to version 20H2 and updating my video card RTX 3080. I didn't install any other programs around this time when the BSOD first started. The troubleshooting steps I've taken are below.

- Updated video card driver as stated above, this seemed to be a common way to fix this BSOD

- Updated Windows completely got the message from Windows Update that my computer was fully updated

- Updated all other drivers that were out of date I used Driver Easy to check which drivers were out of date and to make sure the correct drivers were installed

- Did a memory diagnostics for my memory and everything cam back as OK.

- Installed Core Temp about a month or two ago to make sure my CPU wasn't overheating no issues at all. Doesn't look like my computer is overclocked either since the CPU temps when I play games generally stay between 40 C - 50C and are even lower when at idle.

- Nvidia support had me run their cleanup tool because they believed there were conflicting files causing the crash in Device Manager, computer was saying it was on an earlier version of a driver even when I installed the most current driver. I uninstalled all Nvidia programs and drivers from my computer, then reinstalled the current driver and the computer recognized the proper driver then.

- Nvidia support also suggested I download and use TechPowerUp GPU-Z to check my GPU temp just in case haven't noticed any issues, GPU temp is running at most in the low to mid 50 degree Celsius.

- Windows Support Agent had me run in command prompt sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Clean-up Image /Checkhealth, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. These scans determined there were corrupt files on my computer and they were successfully repaired. I've run these scans multiple times sense talking to the Windows Support Agent and I've never had any other corrupt files after that.

- Windows Support also had me try to start in a clean boot state to turn off background apps that potentially were causing issues and I couldn't find anything causing the BSOD after attempting this.

- I adjusted my settings in games I play mainly Final Fantasy 14 and Classic WoW to see if there were any settings that might have been causing issues i.e: changed games to run in Fullscreen windowed mode , and lowered graphics settings

- Contacted CyberpowerPC customer support and put in a RMA request to replace the video card because I felt it was the card having a hardware issue after doing so much troubleshooting. I put the replacement card into my computer on 3/31/2021. I didn't experience any BSOD until yesterday 4/9/2021 with the new card. However, I did experience 2 times where my computer completely froze while playing Final fantasy 14 nothing else seemed to be causing any crashes, issues, or freezing and everything else seemed to be running OK.

- The final thing I've done is updated my BIOS with the current update I did this last night, 4/9/2021, after experiencing the most recent BSOD and I'm waiting to see if the BSOD happens again or not.

I don't know what else I can do at this point. CyberPower PC customer support suggested I can do a clean install of windows or do the factory image reset to see if it fixes the crashing. I could also send in my computer to them to be checked and repaired but I'd prefer to not be without my computer for at least a month, especially since I work from home and potentially fixing this issue without sending it away.

I've uploaded the mini dump file from the BSOD that occurred on 4/9/2021.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag1jYxRQyYNJgziTQpEr5zJDvJFn?e=QyesB7

:)

DanJLFF14, Apr 10, 2021
  2. ARC
    Arc Win User

Random BSOD while browsing internet

BitDefender is nothing special. mwac.sys causes BSODs anywhere.
    A tiny documentation can be found here: Solved Random BSODs - Windows 10 Forums
    In that very thread, the suggested action apparently worked.

The storage and network filters of any third party antivirus can cause BSODs. Neither MBAM nor BitDefender is any special. For a regular antivirus, it may be shifted to an alternative; but MBAM has no alternative. So a clean install of the said program is the most feasible first step.
    As far as the first step is not failing, it is better to not think for the second step. Because the BSODs are not universal, failure at the first step is not universal; and success at the second step is also not universal.
    That is why I posted that my suggestion may work, or may not. Let us see where it goes.

3. Random Freezes and BSOD (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

Hello Matt,

I regret for the inconvenience you are facing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on your system. We will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to unplug all external devices connected to the system and restart the system to check if the issue persists.

Sometimes new hardware can cause blue screen errors. Since you recently added new hardware to your computer, shut down your system, unplug the new hardware, and then restart to check the status.

Many blue screen errors can be resolved by making sure that Windows is up to date. In the search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

I suggest you to Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

System Maintenance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

Follow the steps given below:

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      System Maintenance.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      System Maintenance troubleshooter and follow the steps.

I also suggest you to follow the article below and check if it helps:

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Apr 10, 2021
  4. philc43 Win User

Random BSOD mostly during idle usage - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Thanks for the suggestion, I did ask the OP to check and according to post #14 he does have the logger running. My next thought was that he had an insufficient size of dump allocated and that logging was not being recorded with the dump file.

philc43, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD - Similar Threads - Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD

2. Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs: I bought this laptop last year, and lately it's been plagued by issues, most notably random BSODs, as mentioned in the title. I tried reinstalling Windows 11 not completely, I chose to keep my files while reinstalling, but after a while the issues started popping up again....
  3. Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs: I bought this laptop last year, and lately it's been plagued by issues, most notably random BSODs, as mentioned in the title. I tried reinstalling Windows 11 not completely, I chose to keep my files while reinstalling, but after a while the issues started popping up again....
  4. Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod: 2 dmp files attached. I analyzed it myself. But both of them shows ntkrnlmp.exe is the failing module. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-dpcwatchdogviolation-bsod/18876d49-4d17-4da8-85fd-8e22aa9433ca
  5. Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod: 2 dmp files attached. I analyzed it myself. But both of them shows ntkrnlmp.exe is the failing module. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-dpcwatchdogviolation-bsod/18876d49-4d17-4da8-85fd-8e22aa9433ca
  6. Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. random DPC_watchdog_violation BSOD freeze

random DPC_watchdog_violation BSOD freeze: Hello everyone. Really hoping there is some help out there for this random freezing issue I am having. It is not associated with any particular software or function. I have tried numerous things: removing and resetting the RAM and drives; removing my video card driver using...
  8. Random BSOD - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Random BSOD - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: Usually every couple of weeks this machine will BSOD with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on an unknown module. If I run heavy disk I/O the crash will happen a little more often but even then it could go days just fine. Most of the time it crashes when I am away and the...
  9. Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: Hello, I would really appreciate some help with my issues here. This BSOD appears seemingly at random, it can go days without it occuring and it can happen a few times a day. I'm not really sure what seems to trigger it unfortunately. I hope you guys can shed some light on...
  10. Getting random BSOD (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

Getting random BSOD (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION): Greetings, I'm creating this post because I'm at a loss here. I've recently upgraded to a Gainward GTX 1070 from my previous card and it was running fine until it gave me a bluescreen. I tried looking it up already tried out a few things like doing a syscheck etc. but...