Windows 10: Random Explorer Crash

Discus and support Random Explorer Crash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Curious to know if someone can point me in the right direction of figuring out a random Explorer.exe crash. I've checked in event viewer and can't seem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChadBonk, Feb 24, 2018.

1. ChadBonk Win User

Random Explorer Crash

Curious to know if someone can point me in the right direction of figuring out a random Explorer.exe crash. I've checked in event viewer and can't seem to pin point it. Looking for suggestions. Pasted below is the error and information levels found withing Event Viewer under the Application Windows Log. Nothing was under the System tab with the same timestamp.

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0x18ee648bFaulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.16299.248, time stamp: 0xeffc9126Exception code: 0xc0000409Fault offset: 0x00000000000a4c20Faulting process id: 0x2608Faulting application start time: 0x01d3ae2e65b3e67aFaulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXEFaulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dllReport Id: 9c9d637e-9fcc-4b0c-933c-ff5e03f7b95aFaulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

Fault bucket , type 0Event Name: BEX64Response: Not availableCab Id: 0Problem signatureRandom Explorer Crash :p1: Explorer.EXEP2: 10.0.16299.248P3: 18ee648bP4: ntdll.dllP5: 10.0.16299.248P6: effc9126P7: 00000000000a4c20P8: c0000409P9: 000000000000000aP10: Attached files:These files may be available here:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Explorer.EXE_e955aa37c7629b74b0e89ea6 a9c5b2b518e27f93_b5c931e9_0fe403d7Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0Report Id: 9c9d637e-9fcc-4b0c-933c-ff5e03f7b95aReport Status: 4Hashed bucket:
    The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted.

Fault bucket 1998361778256335745, type 5Event Name: BEX64Response: Not availableCab Id: 0Problem signatureRandom Explorer Crash :p1: Explorer.EXEP2: 10.0.16299.248P3: 18ee648bP4: ntdll.dllP5: 10.0.16299.248P6: effc9126P7: 00000000000a4c20P8: c0000409P9: 000000000000000aP10: Attached files:\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3F6.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xmlThese files may be available here:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Explorer.EXE_e955aa37c7629b74b0e89e a6a9c5b2b518e27f93_b5c931e9_435407eeAnalysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0Report Id: 9c9d637e-9fcc-4b0c-933c-ff5e03f7b95aReport Status: 268435456Hashed bucket: b41f87fa5fd938187bbb9b7315afd381

:)

ChadBonk, Feb 24, 2018

2. File Explorer Crash

Hey!

so i been getting this random file explorer crash ....it starts with full os starts lagging for 5 sec and then explorer restart and everything back to normal.....it happens totally random....i rly cant think of anything i installed which can cause this but
    i was able to get this dmp file from crash which i have no idea how to read so i was wondering if anyone can help!

log

MonibAhmad, Feb 24, 2018
  3. AnesDedic Win User
    Network issues

My drivers are up to date and the second solution didnt work either.

I discovered also while systray network is gone and network sharing centre is inaccessible, rightclick the random files makes explorer to crash.

AnesDedic, Feb 24, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Random Explorer Crash

Hi, does this 'just happen' randomly when your computer is sitting idle, or when you are using explorer- in particular rt clicking sthg?

dalchina, Feb 24, 2018
  5. ChadBonk Win User
    Randomly. I've noticed prolly about four times in the past week. So, I'm assuming something is tripping it. Does windows stash any more error reporting that I could look into other than the event viewer? Is there a program that I can download that will log more info to give me as to why?

ChadBonk, Feb 24, 2018
  6. ChadBonk Win User
    I tried looking up the error codes, however they seem very random codes, and not specific to the probelm

ChadBonk, Feb 24, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    I'd suggest eliminating hardware problems first.

Have you been overclocking?
    If you have more than one stick of RAM, are they identical?
    Do a RAM test to eliminate problems that (there is a tutorial).

Do some other stress testing, booting from a boot disk so as to eliminate your installed programs and any system corruption.

Then you could try elimination:
    - compare after a clean boot
    -compare in Safe Mode
    but you'd have to leave your PC 'long enough' which is not exactly convenient.

While you could generate a log of all events and then inspect it leading up to the crash, it's unlikely you'd actually gain much from it (Sysinternals ProcMon).

You might get more using this- I'm afraid I'm no expert on analysing WER's and dmp files. Hopefully someone else
    will be able to suggest more.
    AppCrashView - View application crashes (.wer files) in Windows 7/Vista

Crash reports are best handled in the BSOD section - will attract relevant attention. (Ok this isn't a BSOD).

dalchina, Feb 24, 2018
  8. ChadBonk Win User

Random Explorer Crash

Honestly, I don't think it's a hardware issue. I just built this machine a month ago. The only hardware that was carried over was the video card which is only a year old. It's an Asus Nvidia turbo 8gb card. I mean I do realize things can bad....

ChadBonk, Feb 24, 2018
  9. Callender Win User
    Okay try this. Make sure that Windows Error Reporting Service is started and enabled.
    Backup this reg key (export) and save it somewhere.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting]

Then merge this reg file and reboot.

WER_Explorer.reg

Next time explorer crashes restart it and reboot.

Check for dump here:

C:\Localdumps

If you find a dump - zip it and upload it.

Callender, Feb 24, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    Well let's see if you get a dump file. Maybe it won't work.

Callender, Feb 24, 2018
  11. ChadBonk Win User
    Gotcha. Installed. Wait n' see. I'll push it.

^sidenote^ I have been experiencing sound glitching, even more randomingly only with Adobe Illustrator and only on reboots. Totally non reproducible at will. So far I've uninstalled an let windows reinstall the audio drivers. So far... it hasn't happened. But just to throw that in the mix. It is still under warranty to have it repaired, however if it was faulty.... I'd assume it would happen all the the time.

ChadBonk, Feb 24, 2018
  12. dalchina New Member
    Stuttering and audio issues may be due to latency - get Resplendence's LatencyMon and run a scan. But after you've dealt with explorer crashes. No point tackling a technically awkward one when there may be something more basic to deal with.

dalchina, Feb 24, 2018
  13. ChadBonk Win User

Random Explorer Crash

I actually did do that already. Ran the scan for about 2 hours. Came back with suggestions to update bios and to turn off cpu throttling as well as possibility of interference from the WLAN. Turned off wireless after someone suggested that the cpu throttling might not benefit the situation. I've strayed from updating the bios just cuz some of the reviews I read in regards to the x299 boards and chipset

ChadBonk, Feb 24, 2018
  14. ChadBonk Win User
    I haven't expereinced the stuttering audio in a couple days. Usually, the only way I can get the issue duplicated is to reboot the machine so I've done so several times thus far and still no stutter. I'm thinking the disabled WLAN may have helped. Time will tell. The Latency report came back as follows:
    Random Explorer Crash [​IMG]

Just outta curiosity.... could networked drives cause explorer crashes without throwing a significant error code? The way that I have my workstation setup is as this: The workstation has two ssd's located in it. This is where I dump all the working files onto. Once these photos are processed, they're then kept on there till I'm finished with the client. THen,... they're moved over to several networked drives in my older machine. Could it be a disruption in the connection, a pause in the connection that flukes up Explorer.exe enough to crash and restart? Cuz like I said,... I'm never really doing anything notable or the same when it's happened. Usually, I only know cuz my taskbar refreshes, or on one of the other monitors i'm not working on I'll notice the desktop refresh. THen I go into event viewer and sure enough. Usually I check for windows updates first... but it's not always the case

ChadBonk, Feb 25, 2018
  15. dalchina New Member
    Stutter- diagnosis is not easy. Attached a collection of references to forum threads.

dalchina, Feb 25, 2018
Thema:

Random Explorer Crash

1. Random Explorer Crash - Similar Threads - Random Explorer Crash

2. random explorer crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random explorer crash: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 22H2 build 22623.1095 insider canal beta on a LAPTOP with an ASUS X570-P Mother board, a Ryzen 3900 processor and a RTX 2070 GPU. My explorer often crashes no error msg, I only see the restart of task bar and brief screen flickering.It happens...
  3. random explorer crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    random explorer crash: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 22H2 build 22623.1095 insider canal beta on a LAPTOP with an ASUS X570-P Mother board, a Ryzen 3900 processor and a RTX 2070 GPU. My explorer often crashes no error msg, I only see the restart of task bar and brief screen flickering.It happens...
  4. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  5. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  6. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows explorer crashing randomly

Windows explorer crashing randomly: So when I'm playing games or just browsing the web, sometimes everything just suddenly freezes. This issue is especially noticeable when playing games like Valorant, the game might just randomly freeze and when I tab out I notice that the taskbar is frozen as well and after a...
  8. Windows explorer crashing randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer crashing randomly: So when I'm playing games or just browsing the web, sometimes everything just suddenly freezes. This issue is especially noticeable when playing games like Valorant, the game might just randomly freeze and when I tab out I notice that the taskbar is frozen as well and after a...
  9. Windows explorer crashing randomly

10. Explorer crashing randomly

Explorer crashing randomly: Hello,explorer crashes when i try to open explorer or when i right click a file.Its been crashing since i got the computer. i tried some of the solutions i found but couldnt fix it -i used sfc/scannow,it says there are no corrupted files -i looked at event manager and...