Windows 10: Random Failure of keyboard and black screen

Discus and support Random Failure of keyboard and black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, New to forum...looks like a good place for help. I'm not a PC expert, but used to build my own PC's , so I'm pretty familiar and comfortable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Johnnie dr, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Random Failure of keyboard and black screen

Hi all,

New to forum...looks like a good place for help. I'm not a PC expert, but used to build my own PC's , so I'm pretty familiar and comfortable debugging/repairing hardware and software issues. Been using PC's since Windows 1.0..

Anyway, New-ish HP Envy Ryzen 5, 12 GB Ram. (2) 1TB hard drives. Dell Monitor, Windows version 10, build 1803.

I experience random (once a week or so), where upon boot up, PC gets past post, i see HP logo and spinner telling me Windows is loading. I see my NUM lock light come on...but then go off. At that time, screen goes dark, keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. BUT...PC is still on and running.

If I power-down, then back up...most times all is well and PC /Windows are working. And as long as I leave PC on, everything works great.

Sometimes, when I reboot, HP system diagnostics kicks in and tries to diagnose (??) PC. Usually fails to diagnose anything, but gets stuck in a loop.

I routinely run performance checks, malware checks, use Kaspersky and use a host of tools to keep the PC running well...all checks say all hardware and software is A-OK !!

I'm stumped. HP support told me to clean disk and do a full Windows clean install (as expected). A local HP service shop said if NUM lock light goes out, than I have a bad motherboard, no 5 volt going to KB.

I did have an older KB (PS2 plug) connected to a USB3.0 port (with adapter). I have now put a new keyboard (USB 2.0) into a USB 2.0 port, but didn't know if that might be a cause??

Sorry for all the details, just wanted to state the facts.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

John

:)

Johnnie dr, Jun 8, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Black Screen, Screen Flickers, Random Freezes

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to update the Display drivers and check if that helps. If that issue persist please uninstall and reinstall latest drivers available in manufacturer website.

• Press “Windows + X” and select Device manger.
    • Select Display Adapter and expand the driver icon.
    • Right click on the driver icon and click on Update.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to update the driver.
    Refer the link below and check if it helps

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Arun B J, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Random black screens

Getting random brief black screens (with little notification sound when my screen comes back), random changes in setting such as fonts, and a WDF violation when computer refused to turn off, and then after being unplugged, refused to boot for some time.

SLChristensen, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Random Failure of keyboard and black screen

1. Random Failure of keyboard and black screen - Similar Threads - Random Failure keyboard

2. Black Screen Randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen Randomly: Good day! I just want to ask about my laptop. My model is HP Pavilion Notebook. I was using this laptop for school purposes, specifically joining Ubuntu Server both static and dhcp and I used my laptop as a client. I upgraded this into windows 10 pro as it is required to...
  3. Random Black Screen

Random Black Screen: For the last week I have been getting random black screens which basically means I have to force power my system down. First of this was because I was running AMD software alongside the Windows UWP which was potentially causing issues. I have removed the AMD software as...
  4. randomly black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    randomly black screen: my laptop dell e6430 was black screen randomly after and the keyboard and mouse not working please someone help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/randomly-black-screen/c2ae1ad2-7b7f-41c2-ad7f-5b9f3d7b66d1
  5. randomly black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    randomly black screen: my laptop dell e6430 was black screen randomly after and the keyboard and mouse not working please someone help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/randomly-black-screen/c2ae1ad2-7b7f-41c2-ad7f-5b9f3d7b66d1
  6. Black Screen and Keyboard freezes randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen and Keyboard freezes randomly: Dear Customer Support, I have endured with the black screen problem for 3 months and now my keyboard freezes randomly, after Windows 10 update. 1. After the October update, the "restart" windows option always restart with a black screen. I have to press the power button...
  7. Black Screen and Keyboard Freezes randomly

Black Screen and Keyboard Freezes randomly: Dear Customer Support, I have endured with the black screen problem for 3 months and now my keyboard freezes randomly, after Windows 10 update. 1. After the October update, the "restart" windows option always restart with a black screen. I have to press the power button...
  8. Random black screen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random black screen.: Sometimes when im playing a game a black screen pops up for 5 seconds, then dissapears, and all the windows refresh and the taskbar acts like when turning the pc on (icons appearing one by one). Some games also go completely white when it happens. Any fixes? submitted by...
  9. Random Black Screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Black Screens: Hello. I currently have a problem with my computer where I would randomly black out while playing games. The game just stops for a couple seconds and it will continue right after. What could be wrong with my computer? Is there any way to test for defective parts? Thank you...
  10. Random black screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random black screens: Hello, For some reason when I am watching a youtube video or playing a game my screen just goes black, then I have to turn my laptop off and back on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-black-screens/666a0cf5-2c99-4de6-a375-537bc24ef6b7