Random Failure of keyboard and black screen

Discus and support Random Failure of keyboard and black screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, New to forum...looks like a good place for help. I'm not a PC expert, but used to build my own PC's , so I'm pretty familiar and comfortable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Johnnie dr, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Johnnie dr Win User

Hi all,

New to forum...looks like a good place for help. I'm not a PC expert, but used to build my own PC's , so I'm pretty familiar and comfortable debugging/repairing hardware and software issues. Been using PC's since Windows 1.0..

Anyway, New-ish HP Envy Ryzen 5, 12 GB Ram. (2) 1TB hard drives. Dell Monitor, Windows version 10, build 1803.

I experience random (once a week or so), where upon boot up, PC gets past post, i see HP logo and spinner telling me Windows is loading. I see my NUM lock light come on...but then go off. At that time, screen goes dark, keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. BUT...PC is still on and running.

If I power-down, then back up...most times all is well and PC /Windows are working. And as long as I leave PC on, everything works great.

Sometimes, when I reboot, HP system diagnostics kicks in and tries to diagnose (??) PC. Usually fails to diagnose anything, but gets stuck in a loop.

I routinely run performance checks, malware checks, use Kaspersky and use a host of tools to keep the PC running well...all checks say all hardware and software is A-OK !!

I'm stumped. HP support told me to clean disk and do a full Windows clean install (as expected). A local HP service shop said if NUM lock light goes out, than I have a bad motherboard, no 5 volt going to KB.

I did have an older KB (PS2 plug) connected to a USB3.0 port (with adapter). I have now put a new keyboard (USB 2.0) into a USB 2.0 port, but didn't know if that might be a cause??

Sorry for all the details, just wanted to state the facts.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

John

:)

Johnnie dr, Jun 8, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Black Screen, Screen Flickers, Random Freezes

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to update the Display drivers and check if that helps. If that issue persist please uninstall and reinstall latest drivers available in manufacturer website.

• Press “Windows + X” and select Device manger.
    • Select Display Adapter and expand the driver icon.
    • Right click on the driver icon and click on Update.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to update the driver.
    Refer the link below and check if it helps

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Arun B J, Jun 8, 2018
  3. SLChristensen Win User
    Random black screens

Getting random brief black screens (with little notification sound when my screen comes back), random changes in setting such as fonts, and a WDF violation when computer refused to turn off, and then after being unplugged, refused to boot for some time.

SLChristensen, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Random Failure of keyboard and black screen - Similar Threads - Random Failure keyboard

2. Blue Screen System Service Exception what failed Netio.SYS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen System Service Exception what failed Netio.SYS: Boot up my Dell XPS 8900 this morning was working normally but few seconds later I got this blue screen with system service exception what failed netio.sys just like in the attachment in the photo how do I resolved this issue I also attaching for info about dm log collector I...
  3. Screen Flicker on Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen Flicker on Boot: Hi, I had posted about this over at Nvidia forums and got a nice snarky reply. If anyone else is having issues or ideas please let me know (although I have already posted about this). My main reason is to ask whether it is possible for a Windows update to affect my PC's bios...
  4. ERRATIC KEYBOARD BEAVIOR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ERRATIC KEYBOARD BEAVIOR: IN THE MOUSE PROPERTIES OR SETUPS DISABLE THE MOUSE CONTROL WITH KEYBOARD NUMERICAL PAD. THAT IT !! IT WORK TO ME P.A. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/erratic-keyboard-beavior/c80bb0d9-c232-4f3d-ba8d-9fddf276af6e
  5. Computer cant get to windows loading screen

Computer cant get to windows loading screen: Hello, I recently sent my motherboard out for an RMA and saw that the wait time for this RMA was way to long for my liking to I decided to buy a temporary motherboard. When the motherboard got here I put everything in and the computer worked fine, it was really slow since...
  6. Surface Pro 4 screen flicker

Surface Pro 4 screen flicker: Hi, My surface pro 4 screen seems to flicker very badly when the surface is heated. Is there a way to resolve this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/surface-pro-4-screen-flicker/ae06ccda-4e7d-4249-9554-09ada6f80c7f
  7. HID-Compliant Touch Screen and Pen drivers are missing on Surface Pro 4

HID-Compliant Touch Screen and Pen drivers are missing on Surface Pro 4: I appear to have lost my HID-Compliant Touch Screen and Pen drivers on my SP4 after an update at the end of July 2018. I have tried various fixes as suggested on different forums and support services , including trouble shoot process, legacy, etc. I have sought assistance...
  8. windows 10 keeps recycling desktop screen when loading

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 keeps recycling desktop screen when loading: windows 10 keeps recycling desktop screen when loading. Won't let me open anything. Have tried to shut down and restart, same issue....
  9. Numbers on keyboard not working

Numbers on keyboard not working: Since yesterday my keyboard was not working properly, as in upon pressing the shift key, the symbols would not appear. I tried to fix this by using windows recovery, to no avail, these issues appeared as seen in the reliability window. And furthermore, I can only use numbers...
  10. PC randomly shuts down then reboots

PC randomly shuts down then reboots: Hey, So my pc has recently been completely randomly crashing to a black screen then rebooting. It has mostly occurred when i have been playing games and i cannot seem to find what is is for the life of me. I initially thought it might be my cpu overheating as it was...