Windows 10: Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item)

Discus and support Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So I normally have my settings so that I am able to see Hidden Items in my file explorer, and recently I just noticed this weird file that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hion-alias, May 8, 2020.

1. Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item)

Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item) UIbwoWCmcMIWZBISErV_A_VizpVSZTY-JPjGRZtOfg0.jpg

So I normally have my settings so that I am able to see Hidden Items in my file explorer, and recently I just noticed this weird file that is a hiden file and was created on May 5th.

https://preview.redd.it/6ctwzrfi2lx...bp&s=c98b22ed3fb519a205397fd8dca1b5faf3214604

I''ve only ever seen folders located in my C root drive. I did not create this file and the contents inside are just 41 random characters. It may just be windows doing its stuff, but just wondering and curious if anyone knows anything about what this is.

submitted by /u/hion-alias
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hion-alias, May 8, 2020

2. Two random directories appear in C Root drive and in the USER directory

I keep getting two directories that show up in both the root of the C drive and in the User Directory. Each directory has a .MDB, .XLS, .XLSX, .JPG, .TXT, .RTF, .DOC, .DOCX, .SQL amd a .PEM file located in the directory. None of the files will open with
    the applications matching the extensions. The file names all appear to be randomized junk file names.

I keep deleting them and they reappearing.

Example of C Drive (ROOT)

Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item) 8de081dd-1286-4821-bc5f-fc4a228d24a0.jpg

Example of the Files in the Directory

Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item) 2117759a-33bf-46f4-a6fd-1549f2faa25b.png

BurnNotice206, May 8, 2020
  3. John Vil Win User
    Two random directories appear in C Root drive and in the USER directory

Hi,

There may be several reasons why these folders appear randomly in your C Drive. For proper isolation, kindly answer the queries below:

• When did the issue start?
    • Any recent changes made on the computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to resolve the issue?
    • Have you tried running an anti-virus scan to check for any file infection?
    • Which Windows 10 version/build is currently installed on your PC? To check, type winver in the search option.

We look forward for your response.

John Vil, May 8, 2020
  4. gs99 Win User

Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item)

User folders in root C: drive

In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated:

• Intel
    • PerfLogs
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • Users
    • Windows
    Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive?

On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for applications.

E.g. Is there an advantage when new Windows software is installed?

gs99, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item)

1. Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item) - Similar Threads - Random file appeared

2. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  3. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  4. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...: Hi there,I found out today that a number of hidden folders suddenly appeared in my root directory and a few other directories like users and program data. I was wondering what these folders are. I don't have access to many of these folders.its about the following folders:-...
  6. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...: Hi there,I found out today that a number of hidden folders suddenly appeared in my root directory and a few other directories like users and program data. I was wondering what these folders are. I don't have access to many of these folders.its about the following folders:-...
  7. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Random files appearing on my F drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random files appearing on my F drive: When i open a program for example Google Chrome a file named chrome.exe.png appeares on my F drive same for Discord, XboxApp and almost all programs does someone have a fix for this ?...
  9. Random Folders Appearing on the C:\ Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Random Folders Appearing on the C:\ Drive: I have a few Windows 10 systems with clean installs (not upgraded) whose C:\ drives are filling up with random hex named folders; over 50K of them. From what I have read, this could be related to temporary update folders, but they are not being deleted. The folders are named...
  10. Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?: This is a bit of an odd one. I use a program that calls up data from a text file. This means I have many copies of the same file scattered in various project folders which is messy for a variety of reasons, not least having dozens of the same file exist. Placing the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. random files in c drive