Windows 10: Random File Encryption

Discus and support Random File Encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi guys, just joined because I'm having W10 issues. My computer started to randomly encrypt files, where I would have to manually decrypt them via... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Zeronorhero, May 20, 2016.

1. Random File Encryption

Hi guys, just joined because I'm having W10 issues.

My computer started to randomly encrypt files, where I would have to manually decrypt them via the properties. Only issue now is that it says I have no admin rights, whereas before it was decrypting fine....

Here is my pictures folder, I did not encrypt these files and folders myself, and I can't open them now.

Random File Encryption [​IMG]

Please help! I don't wanna lose my files!

:)

Zeronorhero, May 20, 2016

2. Cerber took my adminstrator over

There are several different variants of Cerber Ransomware with different file extensions appended to the end of encrypted filenames and ransom notes.

Any files that are encrypted with the original Cerber Ransomware will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a
    .cerber or a random 4 digit extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. 2C1OlcaXdF.cerber, kMWZJggq2p.a82d) and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY
    FILES#.html as explained
    here

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v2 will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a
    .cerber2 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. Ku7dYlcvkj.cerber2) and leave files (ransom notes) named DECRYPT MY FILES#.vbs, DECRYPT MY FILES#.txt, DECRYPT MY FILES#.html as explained

here

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v3 will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a
    .cerber3 extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. um87p5n5x9.cerber3) and leave files (ransom notes) named # HELP DECRYPT #.txt, # HELP DECRYPT #.html, # HELP DECRYPT #.url as explained

here

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v4x/v5x will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a
    random 4 character hexadecimal extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. 1xQHJgozZM.b71c) and leave files (ransom notes) named README.hta, README.html, _HEJDDP_README_.hta, _HELP_HELP_HELP_5M6C2B8.ht
    as explained
    here
    . Any files that are encrypted with
    Cerber v5x
    will also include a few new changes as explained
    here

Trend Micro released a
    Ransomware File Decryptor
    for victims of earlier Cerber v1 infections but it has limitations. Expand the
    CERBER Decryption Limitations link near the bottom of the page...must be used on the infected machine, may take several hours to complete decryption, some files may be only partially decrypted. The decryptor
    does not work on Cerber v2/v3 encrypted files or the
    newer v4x/v5x variants which use 10 random characters with a random 4 character (i.e.
    .b71c) hexadecimal extension. Unfortunately that means, there is still
    no way to decrypt files by these variants without paying the ransom.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic victims you can post comments, ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

When or if a solution is found, that information will be provided in this support topic and you will receive notification if subscribed to it.

quietman7 - MVP, May 20, 2016
  3. RANSOMWARE REMOVE HELP!!!

There are several different ransomware infections which append a random 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 character extension to the end of all affected filenames (i.e. CTB-Locker, Crypt0L0cker, Maktub Locker, Alma Locker, Princess Locker, Locked-In, Mischa,
    Goldeneye, Cerber v4x/v5x and some Xorist variants).

CTB-Locker and Maktub Locker are the two most common ransomware infections which use a random
    6-7 character extension appended to the end of the file name. The newest variant of
    Crypt0L0cker appends a random 6 lower alphabetic character extension.
    Alma Locker appends a random 5-6 character extension.
    Goldeneye appends an random 8 character extension.
    Princess Locker appends a random 4-5 hexadecimal character extension.
    Mischa appends a random 4 character extension.
    Locked-In
    appends a random 5-15 character extension.
    Cerber v4x/v5x
    encrypts files with 10 random characters followed by a random
    4 character hexadecimal extension. Some Xorist Ransomware variants will also have a random character extension appended to the end of the file name.

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v4x/v5x will be renamed (encrypted) with 10 random characters followed by a
    random 4 character hexadecimal extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename (i.e. 1xQHJgozZM.b71c) and leave files (ransom notes) named README.hta, README.html, _HEJDDP_README_.hta, _READ_THIS_FILE_<random hexadecimal>.html,
    _HELP_HELP_HELP_<random hexadecimal>.hta (i.e _5M6C2B8.hta)

Any files that are encrypted with Cerber v5x will also include a few new changes as explained

here

You can submit samples of encrypted files and ransom notes to ID Ransomware for
    assistance with identification and confirmation. This is a service that helps identify what ransomware may have encrypted your files and then attempts to direct you to an appropriate support topic where you can seek further
    assistance. Uploading both encrypted files and ransom notes together provides a more positive match and helps to avoid false detections.

If confirmed as Cerber...there is an ongoing discussion in this topic victims you can post comments, ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

quietman7 - MVP, May 20, 2016
  4. vgchat Win User

Random File Encryption

Did you scan with a combination of an Antivirus and Malwarebytes? If so, which AV?

vgchat, May 20, 2016
  5. Defender and Malwarebytes

6. Also tried ESETTeslaCryptDecryptor, but didn't find anything

7. simrick Win User
    Hi. You need to disconnect that system from the internet immediately, and shut it down, in case you have contracted a ransomware.
    Then you need to show file extensions to see what they are. Well, copy one and display it on another system, showing file extensions....
    You can go here to identify what you have:
    ID Ransomware

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Random File Encryption

1. Random File Encryption - Similar Threads - Random File Encryption

2. Encrypting a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypting a file: I tried this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-encrypt-a-file-1131805c-47b8-2e3e-a705-807e13c10da7But after I encrypted a file and then sent it to another computer, it can be opened directly as if it was not encrypted.Why?Is it encrypted on my disk only?How...
  3. Encrypting a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypting a file: I tried this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-encrypt-a-file-1131805c-47b8-2e3e-a705-807e13c10da7But after I encrypted a file and then sent it to another computer, it can be opened directly as if it was not encrypted.Why?Is it encrypted on my disk only?How...
  4. Encrypted files

Encrypted files: My windows drive got damaged and i had to reload windows. Now i cant open my encrypted files and cant install the certificate. It says the file is invalid for use as the following. Personal Information Exchange. Is there something i can do about it....
  5. Encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted files: My windows drive got damaged and i had to reload windows. Now i cant open my encrypted files and cant install the certificate. It says the file is invalid for use as the following. Personal Information Exchange. Is there something i can do about it....
  6. random encrypted file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    random encrypted file: have these encrypted files i cant take ownership from and i have never touched sea of theives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/random-encrypted-file/26b1b77f-d841-452d-8838-d70cb23a47ea
  7. File Encryption

File Encryption: I was encrypting files on my laptop which has windows 10 however, I had accidentally stopped the encryption and after I checked I lost almost all of my files. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-encryption/bf1d6484-d95a-4c54-8fe3-80d605a2e0b4
  8. Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created

Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created: Hi all, so TLDR: Files randomly deleted (maybe somehow hidden?) at around 16:39 today. Here's some of the info: Windows version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Microsoft Visual Studio 2019, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, Android Emulator were all running when this...
  9. Files encrypted

in Windows 10 Support
    Files encrypted: Dear Experts, I know that it is irrelevant to raise this type of queries in the platform, but can anyone please help me to solve the problem I faced. Some time back, all image files (.jpg) in different folders have been encrypted with .adobe files (i.e....
  10. Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...

Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...: I do not use a smart card. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-file-system-you-are-encrypting-a-file/a56f8b42-45e4-4d23-a119-5b4ee55f305e"