Windows 10: Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs

Discus and support Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] After I upgraded to Windows 10, I've noticed that my OS drive which is C:\ has random files that CAN be deleted but shows up again after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KingIsaiahIV, Aug 8, 2015.

1. KingIsaiahIV Win User

Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs

Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs [​IMG]
    After I upgraded to Windows 10, I've noticed that my OS drive which is C:\ has random files that CAN be deleted but shows up again after rebooting the OS. I've also noticed that when I connect my external HDD, Toshiba Canvio Simple 1TB, those random files shows up on the root of that HDD drive. But when I connect a flash drive, it never shows up.

:)

KingIsaiahIV, Aug 8, 2015
  2. SteveHargreaves Win User

Windows 10 - settings - storage usage - other?

Hi there. I had already enabled "show hidden files and folders" so no luck there.

It is very strange as the other folder in storage keeps showing what seem like random amounts of HDD space being taken up. At the moment it is saying 6.5gb - and again, once inside it says just over a gig is being used.

Not sure what else is hidden that could be fluctuating in HDD space so wildly?

Thanks

SteveHargreaves, Aug 8, 2015
  3. JH80 Win User
    Random files not showing up in Documents library

Thanks, that's the first thing I tried when it happened before. I'm fairly sure it is an indexing problem. This didn't solve it last time though, I'll try again and see if it works.

JH80, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs

1. Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs - Similar Threads - Random Files showing

2. Amazon Device randomly showing up on Network.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Amazon Device randomly showing up on Network.: I just read many pages of questions about this phenomenon and found it curious that no comments were from anyone at Microsoft. Does that mean this is one of those mysterious back doors we here so much about in the news? I am not sure what to make of it. If it is an...
  3. Root properties shows zero, subdirs are correct

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Root properties shows zero, subdirs are correct: When showing properties of a shared drive, the root shows zero, but subdirs are fine. Works properly under Windows 7,8,Server 2008, and 2012. Also display fine under linux . [img] 8493
  4. Root Certificate Browser Error (started to appear randomly)

in Windows 10 Support
    Root Certificate Browser Error (started to appear randomly): Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my Lenovo x220 laptop. At first I had installed the RTM 10240 version and then updated it to Build 10586. Once I updated I noticed the computer started to behave erratic random freezes at boot up, forcing me to hold the power key...
  5. Mysterious files showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious files showing up in file explorer: Running Win 10 anniversary update on new HP all-in-one with a 256GB SSD (C*Smile and a 2TB SATA (D*Smile drive. About three weeks ago I decided to move all of my data files from C: to the D: drive leaving only OS and program files on C:. I did not permanently delete...
  6. {} Files in Windows Root Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    {} Files in Windows Root Folder: I have about 100 files that start with the { character and end with the } character. Inside these two characters are a series of numbers and letters. The file sizes vary from 2-3K. Some of the earliest files are from 2012 and were from prior Windows operating systems. This...
  7. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...
  8. showing the total of folders/files in drive root

in Windows 10 Support
    showing the total of folders/files in drive root: Properties are shown differently for folders and roots. Root properties only shows used and free space. Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders. Questions: 1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive? 2...
  9. No file transfer dialogue shows up

in Windows 10 Support
    No file transfer dialogue shows up: I don't know when this first started happening, I just assumed stuff was transferring fast enough for it to not show up (only really moved small things). However, I got a small-ish SSD as a secondary drive for a few important things and want to test the general speed of it......
  10. Can't save file in C:\ root directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory: I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone....