Windows 10: Random folders being created on Desktop - contain registry keys

Discus and support Random folders being created on Desktop - contain registry keys in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My father's laptop, which runs Windows 10, has recently encountered a weird issue where random folders keep appearing on the Desktop, no matter how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nobetterdan, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Random folders being created on Desktop - contain registry keys

My father's laptop, which runs Windows 10, has recently encountered a weird issue where random folders keep appearing on the Desktop, no matter how often you delete these.

All seem to contain a random .file file, which is a mix of numbers and letters and looks somewhat like a registry key.

It also seems like it could be slowing down his computer.

Any idea of a fix?

:)

nobetterdan, Dec 26, 2016

2. SoundMixer.exe virus pops up

Hey Pulkit

Its a random virus which creates an autorun registry at

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor

Just open Registry editor and delete Autorun Key at the above location.

If this repeats then go to YOUR_USER_NAME/APPDATA/Roaming/Microsoft and delete a folder named SoundMixer.

SoundMixer is the name of the virus.

PrateekKejriwal, Dec 26, 2016
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Folder security after relocating user folders

1 No because some of the folders within the User Profile must remain on the original drive. Although there is a registry key that defines the Profile location (ProfileImagePath) some applications will use the UNC path with the variable to overcome being
    able to install Windows on another disk. (%SystemDrive%\Users\username.

When you use the Location tool the original folder remains to catch incorrectly directed files.

2When a folder is created the default security settings are applied which includes inheriting permissions from the parent. You could create a container folder 1st and amend its setting before doing the move.

HairyFool, Dec 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Random folders being created on Desktop - contain registry keys

Hi, let's try to isolate the cause:
    1. Does this occur in Safe Mode?
    2. Does this occur after a clean boot?
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...conflicts.html

If it doesn't occur after a clean boot, then enable items progressively and log off/on or restart to try to identify the cause.

Please post a screenshot of the task manager, with the column showing the highest resource use organised with processes using the most resources at the top of the column (click the header)
    a. in normal mode
    b. after a clean boot

Another approach:
    Are there any restore points or disk images created before this started happening?
    (We strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging to allow users to restore their PC to a previous working state without technical help).

Have you run a full antivirus scan?

Can you relate this symptom to any change made to the PC?

If you are technically inclined, you may be able to use Sysinternals Procmon to identify what is creating these folders. However this is not for the faint-hearted.

dalchina, Dec 27, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Sounds like his computer is infected. Follow Read & Run Me First Malware Removal Guide (incl. Spyware, Virus, Trojan, Hijacker) | MajorGeeks.Com Support Forums

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Random folders being created on Desktop - contain registry keys

1. Random folders being created on Desktop - contain registry keys - Similar Threads - Random folders being

2. What is this random folder with numbers that showed on my desktop? it contains a few ".cat"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is this random folder with numbers that showed on my desktop? it contains a few ".cat"...: i had a virus the other day, so i installed windows again and on my pc was a file that looked like a long date code, and i opened it and it showed 3 or 4 cat files, and the signature was "microsoft third party component CA 2012". the 9-file opened in notepad and notepad...
  3. What is this random folder with numbers that showed on my desktop? it contains a few ".cat"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is this random folder with numbers that showed on my desktop? it contains a few ".cat"...: i had a virus the other day, so i installed windows again and on my pc was a file that looked like a long date code, and i opened it and it showed 3 or 4 cat files, and the signature was "microsoft third party component CA 2012". the 9-file opened in notepad and notepad...
  4. Folders being created seemingly randomly on my secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders being created seemingly randomly on my secondary drive: Hey As of a few weeks ago folders have been created on my secondary drive and I have no idea why, I have tried looking around for a solution but haven't been able to find anything that could hint as to why I am having this issue. [img] The folders consist either of no...
  5. Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders Being Created on Drives. $$$$$$$$: I have recently checked my C and D drive and found that there have been few folders appearing on them starting with "$". I have tried to delete them but can't and due to these I have almost lost all my C drive space 2.65gb free of 110gb even though I have mainly got windows...
  6. How to Create folder in registry

How to Create folder in registry: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-folder-in-registry/b4fa7a55-78a8-4ee6-a739-ff1503cc42a2
  7. Folders Being Created

Folders Being Created: Lately I have noticed that something in (I Think in Windows) is creating 2 folders on my computer. One is called (_CLOUD) and the other is called (ASTRA). I can delete them (and I do). Does anyone know what is causing these folders to be created and if so … How do you turn...
  8. What registry key contains taskbar height

in Windows 10 Support
    What registry key contains taskbar height: I like my Win10 taskbar to be 3 rows high (3 rows of icons). Every time a Windows Update is applied, the height of the taskbar reverts to 1 row high. This is only one of many settings that gets reverted back to some default value. I change several settings related to desktop...
  9. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...
  10. Prevent application to create a registry key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent application to create a registry key: Hi, is it possible to prevent certain application to create a registry key in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software registry location? That registry key causes some problems - when I delete it manually problems are solved but every so often key gets created as soon as...