Windows 10: Random freeze and / or blacks screen when idle

Discus and support Random freeze and / or blacks screen when idle in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. I have an issue where my laptop would randomly freeze and / or the screen will go black and the entire system would be unresponsive. This happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ptrwg_, Jan 8, 2021.

1. ptrwg_ Win User

Random freeze and / or blacks screen when idle

Hi. I have an issue where my laptop would randomly freeze and / or the screen will go black and the entire system would be unresponsive. This happens randomly and I can't find what causes it. The system would freeze when I'm watching YouTube, or gaming or when I leave the laptop on idle for a few minutes. All drivers are up to date. I just recently reset my laptop and reinstall Windows. I did the sfc /scannow but found nothing. I did the dism command to restore health as well. This is a very odd issue I have because I can go for a day or two with no problem and then the next day, my laptop would freeze 8-10 times a day. Sent it back to the store to see if this is a hardware issue but they found nothing as well. On the event viewer, it keep showing event ID 41 that says laptop was not shut down properly. So, it's not helping at all.

Please help.

:)

ptrwg_, Jan 8, 2021
  2. Arun B J Win User

Black Screen, Screen Flickers, Random Freezes

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to update the Display drivers and check if that helps. If that issue persist please uninstall and reinstall latest drivers available in manufacturer website.

• Press “Windows + X” and select Device manger.
    • Select Display Adapter and expand the driver icon.
    • Right click on the driver icon and click on Update.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions to update the driver.
    Refer the link below and check if it helps

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Arun B J, Jan 8, 2021
  3. vinsterX Win User
    Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130

Hello everyone.

I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random crash/freeze that manifests itself in one of two ways:

1. If I step away from the computer and come back before the monitor is set to go to sleep, I will come back to a frozen cursor, unable to do anything.
    2. If I step away from the computer and come back after the monitor has gone to sleep, I will come back to a black screen, unable to do anything.
    In both cases, I have to hold the power button in to shut down the computer for a restart.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

vinsterX, Jan 8, 2021
  4. philc43 Win User

Random freezes or BSODs (In windows drivers)

Basically you need to go back to the step described in my post #121

As the freeze happens when you leave the system idle for a while it is most likely a driver associated with a background process that starts up when the system is idle for while. You might be able to search the event information logs to check which services started around the exact time of the freeze.

philc43, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Random freeze and / or blacks screen when idle - Similar Threads - Random freeze blacks

2. Random screen freezes in idle time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random screen freezes in idle time: Good day, on backup laptop I struggle with an UI annoyance after upgrading to 23H2, the screen partially freezes after about 10 minutes receiving no user input. The screen still shows mouse pointer moves but windows and controls don't update to any changes on user actions....
  3. Random screen freezes in idle time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random screen freezes in idle time: Good day, on backup laptop I struggle with an UI annoyance after upgrading to 23H2, the screen partially freezes after about 10 minutes receiving no user input. The screen still shows mouse pointer moves but windows and controls don't update to any changes on user actions....
  4. Windows 11 Randomly Freezing when left Idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Randomly Freezing when left Idle: My PC has randomly started freezing when left idle overnight. Ive tried doing a clean install of windows and updated the motherboard bios but no success. Im at a loss trying to figure this one out. Here are my specs CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 24 CPUs, ~3.7GHz...
  5. RANDOM BLACK GLOWY SCREEN + RANDOM FREEZES

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RANDOM BLACK GLOWY SCREEN + RANDOM FREEZES: Hi, ever since updating to Windows 10 version 1909 to the latest one, 20H2, I keep experiencing random freezes and the screen would go black as if someone just turn off the laptop. But, it's not completely black. It's kinda glowy and I can't press anything to wake it up as...
  6. Black Screen and Keyboard freezes randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen and Keyboard freezes randomly: Dear Customer Support, I have endured with the black screen problem for 3 months and now my keyboard freezes randomly, after Windows 10 update. 1. After the October update, the "restart" windows option always restart with a black screen. I have to press the power button...
  7. Black Screen and Keyboard Freezes randomly

Black Screen and Keyboard Freezes randomly: Dear Customer Support, I have endured with the black screen problem for 3 months and now my keyboard freezes randomly, after Windows 10 update. 1. After the October update, the "restart" windows option always restart with a black screen. I have to press the power button...
  8. Computer screen freezes when it is idle

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer screen freezes when it is idle: I use Windows 10 Home, v. 1809. I bought a SSD and then installed Windows on it. When my laptop is idle, the screen freezes for a second. This is a real problem when I’m playing because FPS drops and ruins the game....
  9. Screen goes black at random times. Sometimes when idle.

Screen goes black at random times. Sometimes when idle.: PC works for a while after screen goes black and then it reboots on its own. I tried reinstalling GPU drivers but that didn't work (used that software that completely wipes them first). I suspect the GPU or PSU might be the culpit here. PSU is 730W Thermaltake Smart SE...
  10. Random black screen with no cursor when GPU is idle.

in Windows 10 Support
    Random black screen with no cursor when GPU is idle.: Hi all, I've recently built a new PC and I keep getting a random black screen with no cursor in Windows 10. It seems to be happening on just the desktop with nothing or a few windows open. It has never happened while playing a game but can happen after just 30 seconds of...