Windows 10: Random freezes and BSODs

Discus and support Random freezes and BSODs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Sony VAIO laptop, model SVE14A290X, which had Windows 8.1 installed on it. I waited until late December 2015 to upgrade to Windows 10, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by scarmstrong, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Random freezes and BSODs

I have a Sony VAIO laptop, model SVE14A290X, which had Windows 8.1 installed on it. I waited until late December 2015 to upgrade to Windows 10, and followed all of the instructions and driver downloads given on the Sony website.But since then I've been having regular freezes and BSODs, once or twice a day, sometimes more, with varying error messages.I took my computer to the local Microsoft store and they said I needed to do a clean install, which they said would solve my problems. So they did that for me, but since then I've been having the same problems, with the same kinds of error messages. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I have followed your instructions and attached the zip file. Thank you.

:)

scarmstrong, Feb 1, 2016
  2. Matt_BMUZ Win User

Random Freezes and BSOD (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

Thank you for replying quickly.

My windows is currently up-to-date so it's not that. I've tried the troubleshooting and there seems to be no errors that are coming up.

I will check out the external devices, but its hard to tell. The freezes/bsod can appear at any time, sometimes its after several hours of PC usage, sometimes only a few minutes after start-up.

Any particular external devices should i take out?

Matt_BMUZ, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Matt_BMUZ Win User
    Random Freezes and BSOD (DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION)

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out.

I have recently purchased some new parts for my computer. I upgraded my rig, the parts i upgraded were my Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, new cooling system and purchased a M2 SSD.

I've had **** on, trying to put the new rig together but managed to get everything sorted. Had to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Home Edition due to the m2 ssd. The problem I am still getting is that a random times, my PC decides to freeze. It's not just
    a freeze and a bluescreen. Its a freeze, takes a 1min or 2mins to unfreeze, works for a few mins then decides to bluescreen. Mostly occurs when I'm on Google Chrome.

I've tried so many things to try and fix it but I think it's gone way above my head now.

Considering that its got a lot of new parts and it has a fresh install, I am not sure which drivers is causing this or even if it is related to the drivers.

I keep getting the same errors via event viewer, I will attach the picture down below.

Errors via Event viewer: Dropbox - errors via event viewer.png

Msinfo: Dropbox - mypcspecs.nfo

Speccy: Dropbox - PC.txt

Dumpfiles: Dropbox - memorydumps.zip

If I need any other type of information, you can ask me.

Hope you can help me out.

Matt_BMUZ, Feb 1, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Random freezes and BSODs

Hi scarmstrong,

Welcome to the 10forums.

In case you are using both your graphics cards, please configure your system to use only 1 graphics card while troubleshooting.
    Using both graphics cards (switching) could sometimes causes problems.

Please uninstall everything of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from Windows Update. Be sure to ONLY install the display drivers using custom/advanced options.
    Attachment 62248
    Code: 2: kd> !irp ffffe0012e0c5010 Irp is active with 6 stacks 4 is current (= 0xffffe0012e0c51b8) No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000: Irp stack trace. cmd flg cl Device File Completion-Context [ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000 Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 [ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000 Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 [ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000 Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 >[ 16, 2] 0 e1 ffffe0012ab44060 00000000 fffff801b936d4e0-ffffd000223e59f0 Success Error Cancel pending \Driver\pci dxgkrnl!DpiFdoPowerCompletionRoutine Args: 00000000 00000001 00000001 00000000 [ 16, 2] 0 e1 ffffe0012d85e040 00000000 fffff800e7d1bd88-ffffe0012d796f08 Success Error Cancel pending Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmpag.sys \Driver\amdkmdap nt!PopRequestCompletion Args: 00000000 00000001 00000001 00000000 [ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-ffffe0012d796f08 Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 2: kd> lmvm atikmpag start end module name fffff800`e94d0000 fffff800`e9579000 atikmpag T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: atikmpag.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys Image name: atikmpag.sys Timestamp: Wed Nov 04 22:16:43 2015 (563A75BB) CheckSum: 000A93CF ImageSize: 000A9000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

axe0, Feb 2, 2016
  5. hi - thanks for the response, and these suggestions. I will follow your instructions, but I have a big project over the next couple of days that I need my computer for, and I'm a bit worried about doing something that might get me into a worse situation with my computer. So I will try to uninstall the AMD drivers over the weekend, and will just have to put up with the freezes and BS ODs until then. Thanks-Sally

scarmstrong, Feb 3, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    100 out of 100 hasn't gotten any problems, I have to yet see it happen that it get worse when trying this.

axe0, Feb 3, 2016
  7. the instructions just seemed a little complicated so wanted to wait until I had some free time . . . Sally

scarmstrong, Feb 3, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Random freezes and BSODs

You simply boot to safe mode, could be done through the program.
    Once booted in safe mode open the program (if booted in safe mode through the program it opens automatically)
    Select AMD graphics drivers and choose clean and restart, there maybe a pop-up about Windows Update (I have had it at least) but the program takes care of the rest.

axe0, Feb 3, 2016
  9. Hi there - I uninstalled the AMD driver per your instructions. Windows update proceeded to reinstall the drivers, but I didn't see any way to use custom/advanced options. Also wasn't sure what I should choose if I did see those options. Anyway the AMD drivers have been reinstalled, so I presume I am still using both graphics cards. I'm not sure how to configure my system to just use one-just disable the AMD driver? Anyway, I used My computer for about an hour, and it froze. Are there any next steps? Thanks for your assistance-Sally

scarmstrong, Feb 6, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Your Intel HD graphics 4000 is integrated in your CPU, I have the same thing, once I remove the AMD drivers Windows Update reinstalls them. Your Intel HD graphics 4000 is standard used as the main one.

Disable the AMD graphics card and see how it goes.

11. but now my fan is running loud all the time .... always something! I will see what the stability of the system is now. will I miss much not using the AMD graphics card?

Best wishes, Sally

scarmstrong, Feb 6, 2016
  12. the HD light is flickering - but nothing much is running on the computer - just outlook . . .Sally

scarmstrong, Feb 6, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

Random freezes and BSODs

Open taskmanager and click on disk usage to monitor the disk usage to see if it is correct what you see, heavy usage of the disk.

14. yes I thought of that, didn't seem to be anything unusual - Skype was using a lot. But this morning I have Skype running and the HD seems normal - fingers crossed!

Thanks - Sally

scarmstrong, Feb 7, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    Just to be sure the hard drive is fine, please try running below tests and let me know what the results are *Smile

Random freezes and BSODs [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Run following tests
    • Short Drive Self Test
    • Short generic
    • Long generic
    If the short generic fails, no need for the long generic.

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    Let me know what the results are
    • of the error scan,
    • make a screenshot of the health of every hard drive and post the screenshots,
    • post screenshots with the benchmark of the
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

Thema:

Random freezes and BSODs

1. Random freezes and BSODs - Similar Threads - Random freezes BSODs

2. Random freezes / BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random freezes / BSODs: Hi,for about 6 month, my system was running stable without any issues. Suddenly the system started freezing OS hanging, reset via on/off button or cutting power supply or BSOD-ing Clock_watchdog_timeout. All of that came out of the blue, no hardware changes, no BIOS changes,...
  3. Random freezes / BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random freezes / BSODs: Hi,for about 6 month, my system was running stable without any issues. Suddenly the system started freezing OS hanging, reset via on/off button or cutting power supply or BSOD-ing Clock_watchdog_timeout. All of that came out of the blue, no hardware changes, no BIOS changes,...
  4. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  5. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  6. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Random BSOD and freezing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Random BSOD and freezing: I purchased a PC a month or so ago and have been experiencing random BSOD and freezing. It seems to happen any time as I can't find a trigger. I'm not doing anything specific other than every day use. The BSOD seems to happen at least a couple times a week and the freezing,...
  8. Random Freezes/BSoDs?

Random Freezes/BSoDs?: Hello everyone. I have recently been receiving constant freezes (hard freezes, can't do anything, computer is still running but Gpu fans stop, monitor freezes, controls lock up, etc.) and BSoDs. To add some backstory, this just randomly started happening about 4 months after...
  9. Random freeze and BSOD

Random freeze and BSOD: Hi, i have random freeze and BSOD with various errors. dumps as requested by stickythread are attached. i will provide more dumps when the problem will happen again. Thank you. The problem was caused by the motherboard (BIOS P1.90), it seems that does not...
  10. Bsod/freeze at random

Bsod/freeze at random: at random times my pc will get bsod or just freeze and i need to restart. 90% of the times i turn the pc on it happens after 5-10 minutes and can then be good for several hours later. don't know what causes this, anyone have an idea? 82593