Windows 10: Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279

Discus and support Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After a clean install of Build 14279, then reinstalling several programs, I'm getting occasional and random freeze-ups. Blutos Cousin posted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wynona, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Wynona Win User

Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279

After a clean install of Build 14279, then reinstalling several programs, I'm getting occasional and random freeze-ups.

I posted this reply:

I think we might better figure this out if it has its own thread, so . . .

:)

Wynona, Mar 12, 2016

2. Windows 7 to 10 upgrade on a Dell Precision 390?

Hi Prahalad,

the graphics drivers install without any problems. The random freeze/hang issue is while running Windows 10 with the NVIDIA graphics driver.

Uninstalling the NVIDIA driver and installing the Microsoft Basic Display driver fixes the freeze/hang issue.

Thanks.

Graham Hay, Mar 12, 2016
  3. SFC /SCANNOW report opencl.dll bad

Still not fixed in build 14279.

Vlad Nicolici, Mar 12, 2016
  4. Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279

from my other posting :
    The hanging & freezing in 14279
    ALMOST makes me wonder if it's a windows kernel issue causing the hanging or something I'm Seeing transient but persistent major HDD and CPU spikes when (or right after ) it happens but not *usually at other times in taskman where I never saw them before under the same conditions and there is no malware causing it as far as I can tell .

I could boot into 10586 Th2 on the same NTFS hdd and look for it there but I use it now and then .

I just shoved the 10586 th2 cumulative update in there a couple of days ago and used it for a good while and I don't recall this behavior there but it seems slower than these rs1 builds

Been thinking about putting both OS on an SSD also or at least the Insider test builds I do the daily driving in for the duration of the program .

PS sometimes this PC slows down randomly on 14279 and I see big HDD and CPU spikes (sometimes 100% hdd) I can't explain also when it does that .

I been lazy and haven't checked the error logs perhaps I should look in there *Redface

blutos cousin, Mar 12, 2016
  5. Wynona Win User
    That's a thought! I haven't looked there either. *Eek

Wynona, Mar 12, 2016
  6. There might be something in the error logs. I also get transient application hangs or more often very short duration random freezing maybe without the I beam thing under many conditions I never got much or as often before this 14279 build .

7. Re/ Windows 14279 random freezing /hangs :

Error log results

I found 4 of these within one second on 03.07.16 so I don't think it's related because it's been freezing since then and this error is not persistent just the 4 times above.

Found the usual Email client runtime application/ error faults ......

Nothing out of the ordinary in the error logs I could attribute to freezing or appl. hangs .

No HDWE /chipset /hdd controller /Sata chipset events at all or bad block/sector HDD errors outside of the smart drive reserve which would invisible *within the smart drive reserve* here anyway .

This drive is maybe 1- 1.5 yrs now. I might run run a scannow on it and maybe Scan this partition for bad sectors also but the last scannow was fine recently and so were the automatic defrag logs just a couple of days back .

I could even run Sea Tools or WD lifeguard on this NTFS partition but the freezes are to transient to be a HDD in my experience and it boots decently fast and seems OK

8. AndreTen Win User

I've posted this in News section, but maybe it should be asked here:

Do you by any chance have some network links under Quick access in explorer? Pinned or just under frequently used links.
    I have some interruptions with Windows explorer and removing those links solved my issue.

AndreTen, Mar 12, 2016
  9. FWIW None here

10. AndreTen Win User
    OK then, one down other hundred to go.

AndreTen, Mar 12, 2016
  11. or maybe get lucky with the next Insiders build like I'm hoping for *Cool

12. AndreTen Win User
    Wish you luck *Biggrin and may it be soon.

AndreTen, Mar 12, 2016
  13. Wynona Win User

No network links for me either, Andre.

Wynona, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Random Freezing and Hanging in Build 14279 - Similar Threads - Random Freezing Hanging

2. Computer freezing/hanging at random times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing/hanging at random times: Hey all Recently my computer custom built has been freezing which usually starts with audio cutting out then the screen Freezing along with all the mouse and keyboard inputs. The only way I can solve it is by holding the power button and then Turing the computer back on which...
  3. Windows Randomly Freezes/Hangs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Randomly Freezes/Hangs: About once or twice a day, my computer randomly hangs or freezes and it's super annoying. This problem started happening after reinstalling windows onto my new SSD from my hard drive. I have updated windows and reinstalled graphics drivers. I've used HWiNFO64 and it all...
  4. Windows 10 Randomly Hangs/Freezing

Windows 10 Randomly Hangs/Freezing: Hi, everyone. My PC has been freezing lately, and the only thing I could do to get out of it was power down and restart. I tried all the suggested updates and system checks from the forums but they didn't work. Then I read someone's experience of a faulty cable causing...
  5. Windows 10 Randomly Hangs / Freezing

Windows 10 Randomly Hangs / Freezing: Hi Support, Currently I have run windows latest updated. Checked internal laptop diagnostic for hardware any issues, passed the diagnosed test. Done office 2010 internal repaired w/o any issues. Its did hangs Excel, Adobe Reader, Windows updates randomly. I appreciate...
  6. Random Freeze/Hang (NO BSOD)

Random Freeze/Hang (NO BSOD): This freeze/hang has been going on randomly for months (I believe setting in after the Fall Creators Update; I'd deferred that one but it forced itself through 1/13/2018). Keyboard and mouse stop functioning, and music stops playing too. I can only get it back up and...
  7. Build 14279 Breaks Chrome: Is It Just Me?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Build 14279 Breaks Chrome: Is It Just Me?: After build 14279, Chrome cannot connect to the internet, even with all extensions disabled. First troubleshooting step: Is it just me, or is this widespread? If it's widespread - no worries. It'll get fixed eventually. If it's just me then I've got some work to do....
  8. SFC and DISM will not run on build 14279

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC and DISM will not run on build 14279: Just installed the Insider upgrade to 14279.rs1-release_160229-1700 today. Tried to run SFC/ scannow from CMD prompt (admin) and it won't run. Also tried to run DISM restore health and it would not run. Used CMD prompt (admin) and KYHI Image utilities both failed. maybe it's...
  9. Random hang/lock/freezing (sort of)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random hang/lock/freezing (sort of): I have read a thread or five via a Google search about random freezing with Windows 10, but none of their symptoms match mine, so I thought I'd post a new thread. I'm getting random system freezes or hangs which prevent me from opening apps or programs and clicking on the...
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14279

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14279: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Today, we are releasing Build 14279 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. Here’s what’s new in Build 14279 Cortana in more languages: With this build, we are enabling Cortana for the Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese...