Windows 10: Random function as used by Desktop personalisation

Discus and support Random function as used by Desktop personalisation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Amongst the personalisation settings the desktop background can be set to Slideshow, a folder of images selected, and an interval for change set. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sigurd, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Sigurd Win User

Random function as used by Desktop personalisation

Amongst the personalisation settings the desktop background can be set to Slideshow, a folder of images selected, and an interval for change set. It can also be set to Shuffle on/off. I assume this is to set whether the display image is selected at random (shuffle on) or sequentially from list of images (shuffle off).

I have it set to select an image from a folder of images and to change it every minute. It have tried shuffle in both positions.

The problem is that more often than not it selects the same image.

I had the same issue with a screen saver. Again the random setting didn't work particularly well wit a distinct bias to one or two images.

It seems Windows random function is not reliable. I have found a better app for the slide show (GPhoto) but can't solve the desktop issue.

Using Windows 10 , latest update, using two VDUs.

:)

Sigurd, Oct 29, 2020
  2. Sigurd Win User

Amongst the personalisation settings the desktop background can be set to Slideshow, a folder of images selected, and an interval for change set. It can also be set to Shuffle on/off. I assume this is to set whether the display image is selected at random (shuffle on) or sequentially from list of images (shuffle off).

I have it set to select an image from a folder of images and to change it every minute. It have tried shuffle in both positions.

The problem is that more often than not it selects the same image.

I had the same issue with a screen saver. Again the random setting didn't work particularly well wit a distinct bias to one or two images.

It seems Windows random function is not reliable. I have found a better app for the slide show (GPhoto) but can't solve the desktop issue.

Using Windows 10 , latest update, using two VDUs.

Sigurd, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Sigurd Win User

That worked! So the answer seems to be to set the desktop you want and save it as a theme. That way it seems to create a more truly random display of the images.
    Thanks for the help.

Sigurd, Oct 29, 2020
  4. Random function as used by Desktop personalisation

*Thumbs

Paul Black, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Random function as used by Desktop personalisation - Similar Threads - Random function used

2. Personalisation - maybe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Personalisation - maybe?: My background colours have become messed up in apps such as Mail, Calculator & File explorer, to name but 3. All I want is white background and black lettering. I've tried various fixes but they don't work for me. TIA...
  3. surprise personalisation

in Windows 10 Customization
    surprise personalisation: I'm used to Windows 10 starting the day with one of Microsoft's library of over-dramatic landscapes, which I then click on to get the login screen. For some reason it has suddenly decided to substitute a photo from my own library. Don't know how it happened but it's a nice...
  4. Personalised settings changing randomly

Personalised settings changing randomly: Hi,As per other users out there in the community I have my Personalised settings are changing from what I had set.In specific I have changed the background image to a slide show and setup a folder with pictures. I have also set colour format to Dark.The changes are: - the...
  5. personalisation

personalisation: I want to enable dark mode permantley, how would i do this please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personalisation/bed1b332-6a0a-4948-b072-28a081faa862
  6. Personalisation Problem

Personalisation Problem: I have lost my personalised desktop display and cannot restore it as Personalisation in Settings is frozen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personalisation-problem/07fdf4fe-94c8-44b7-9a0a-f7c9e003c818
  7. Desktop personalisation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop personalisation: [ATTACH] Hi, Can someone help me find the search and time widgets shown in the pic? I looked around but couldn't find the exact widgets. Thanks, https://preview.redd.it/wwnojmldjr461.png?width=2000&format=png&auto=webp&s=563ece69e514ee75509e8061b5f665420f0874ce...
  8. Random function as used by Desktop personalisation

in Windows 10 Support
    Random function as used by Desktop personalisation: Amongst the personalisation settings the desktop background can be set to Slideshow, a folder of images selected, and an interval for change set. It can also be set to Shuffle on/off. I assume this is to set whether the display image is selected at random (shuffle on) or...
  9. windows 10 personalise theme crashes to desktop

windows 10 personalise theme crashes to desktop: windows 10 pro, 1903 so everytime i click on the theme (personalise ---> theme) it crashes, close the setting and back to desktop same as reddit member post at https://www.reddit.com/r/softwaregore/comments/bld6il/help_can_any_one_help_me_when_ever_i_try_to/ any idea how...
  10. Windows 10 Desktop personalisation not opening

Windows 10 Desktop personalisation not opening: A few hours ago I changed my desktop default background to a slideshow which has worked perfectly. However whenever I try to re-enter the personalisation section in the settings, it does the clicking animation and then stops, I can hover over other settings tabs but cannot...