Windows 10: Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278

Discus and support Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; What happened: My PC randomly hands and shutdowns/resets. It can happen at random, sometimes while I'm watching youtube, sometimes during gaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Hamborger, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Hamborger Win User

Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278

What happened: My PC randomly hands and shutdowns/resets. It can happen at random, sometimes while I'm watching youtube, sometimes during gaming session, sometimes even in the BIOS settings.

Event detail in Event Viewer:

- EventData

BugcheckCode 278

BugcheckParameter1 0xffffe48705f95010

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 0

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

BugcheckInfoFromEFI true

CheckpointStatus 0

No BSOD. Just hangs or hangs then restarts. Was working properly for 3 months until today. What changed was that I moved house and could have rattled my PC around while changing house. So I took out the thing and reassembled everything. Still have random hang.

:)

Hamborger, Aug 10, 2019

2. Kernel-Power event id 41. BugcheckCode 0

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In-order to get more clarity on this issue and to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, reply with answers to the below questions:

1. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?
    2. Is this issue specific while playing a particular game?
    3. Which edition of Windows are you currently using?

A Kernel Power Event 41 can occur in the following scenarios.

Scenario 1: The computer restarts, and there is a Stop error BugcheckCode in the event data.

Scenario 2: The computer is shut down by pressing and holding the power button.

Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang).

I suggest you refer the article on Kernel
    Power Event ID 41
    and follow the steps for the scenario that is causing this error on your PC.

Additionally, you can refer the article on Windows
    Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows

and check if that helps.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Aug 10, 2019
  3. Kernel-Power event id 41. BugcheckCode 0

Hello,

Thank you for replying with the required information.

What is the make and model of your PC?

As you have mentioned that the system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive,
    this scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, I suggest you to refer the section
    Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang)
    from the following article on Windows Kernel event
    ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows

and follow the steps mentioned in the section to isolate the cause of the issue.

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID 41, change the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

Right-click My Computer, and then click
    Properties.

Click Advanced system settings.

Click the Advanced tab.

In the Startup and Recovery
    section, click Settings.

Click to clear the Automatically restart
    check box.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Perform clean boot.

Check if any third party application is causing this issue. Refer the article on
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    for steps to perform clean boot.

Note:
    A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.

Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however that functionality will return when you
    reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

Method 2: Adjust PC to best performance.

To do that,

In the search box on the taskbar, type
    performance
    , then select Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.

On the Visual Effects tab, select
    Adjust for best performance > Apply.

Restart your PC and see if that speeds up your PC.

Method 3: Check your hard disk for errors.

To do that,

1. Double click on This PC icon.
    2. Right-click the hard disk drive that may be damaged.
    3. Click Properties, and then click the Tools tab.
    4. Click on the Check option.
    5. Now click on the Scan Drive option.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Aug 10, 2019
  4. Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278

restart and kernel-power event

Hi,

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut
    down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

Try this, see if it works for you:

• Go to "Settings"
    • Select "System"
    • Select "Power and Sleep"
    • Select "Additional Power Settings"
    • Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
    • Select "Change settings currently available"
    • Ensure that "Turn on fast start up" is deselected (unticked)
    • Click on "Save Changes"

Restart your computer after performing the steps.

Let us know if the above steps resolved the issue.

Venancio Khu, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278

1. Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278 - Similar Threads - Random hang shutdown

2. Regular restarts with Event 41 Kernel-Power BugCheckCode 30

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regular restarts with Event 41 Kernel-Power BugCheckCode 30: Hello,For the past three months my computer has been rebooting itself randomly i wasn't doing any specyfic things. I reinstalled windows two times already and it is still happening.The Critical event in Event Viewer is always the same:- EventDataBugcheckCode...
  3. Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278

Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278: Since I installed a new VGA adapter my PC started some random reboots, even at moments I wasn't even using it. No BSOD. Just a black screen and reboot.I check event viewer and it shoes a Event 41,Kernel-Power - Task 63 - Bugcheckcode 278. Looked for it and it's a 116...
  4. Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel-Power Event 41 Bugcheckcode 278: Since I installed a new VGA adapter my PC started some random reboots, even at moments I wasn't even using it. No BSOD. Just a black screen and reboot.I check event viewer and it shoes a Event 41,Kernel-Power - Task 63 - Bugcheckcode 278. Looked for it and it's a 116...
  5. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.: Hello. This error has been happening at random whenever I'm playing any game, it seems like the computer cuts off everything and reboots on its own. So far I've uninstalled the Nvidia Graphic Driver and installed it back, updated all drivers I could and I ended up doing a...
  6. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.: Hello. This error has been happening at random whenever I'm playing any game, it seems like the computer cuts off everything and reboots on its own. So far I've uninstalled the Nvidia Graphic Driver and installed it back, updated all drivers I could and I ended up doing a...
  7. Kernel Power ID 41 Bugcheckcode 278.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...: Hi,As stated in the title my PC just randomly crashed into a "blackscreen" Both monitors losing signal followed by an automatic reboot.This has probably happened once before but I wasn't in front of my PC when It happened the first time, I just found my PC had rebooted when I...
  9. PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...

PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...: Hi,As stated in the title my PC just randomly crashed into a "blackscreen" Both monitors losing signal followed by an automatic reboot.This has probably happened once before but I wasn't in front of my PC when It happened the first time, I just found my PC had rebooted when I...
  10. PC Crashes to blackscreen and reboots Kernel-Power Event 41 BugcheckCode 278...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bugcheckcode 278

2. bugcheck code 278

3. event viewer bug check 278

4. event id 41 bugcheck code 278,
  5. pc restarting kernel power 41 12v cpu pin,
  6. shutdown reason kernel api,
  7. event id 41 bugcheckcode 278,
  8. 278 windows,
  9. bugcheckcode 278 while gaming,
  10. bugcheck code 278 kernel evenr 41 task 63,
  11. BugcheckCode 278 windows 10,