Windows 10: Random hard reboots after upgrading CPU, MOBO and RAMs (BugcheckCode 278, no BSODs).

Discus and support Random hard reboots after upgrading CPU, MOBO and RAMs (BugcheckCode 278, no BSODs). in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello. I recently upgraded my CPU, MOBO and RAMs. I also upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I've enabled Game Boost & XMP profile in the BIOS and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ingmarr92, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Ingmarr92 Win User

Random hard reboots after upgrading CPU, MOBO and RAMs (BugcheckCode 278, no BSODs).

Hello.

I recently upgraded my CPU, MOBO and RAMs. I also upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I've enabled Game Boost & XMP profile in the BIOS and left all the other settings on optimized defaults. I'm having some weird issues with random hard reboots. Screen goes black and reboots without BSOD or anything. This happens especially when I play games (for example Witcher 3).

In the Event Viewer I can see Karnel-Power 41 critical error with BugcheckCode 278 which apparently means 0x116 = VIDEO_TDR_ERROR - "This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed."

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>6</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-09-15T12:29:18.050223100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2987</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>*********</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">278</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xffffcf84f04e7050</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Here is what I've tried so far:

* Updated Chipset Drivers
    * Updated BIOS (from ver 3.10 to 3.20 - E7C02AMS - 08/29/2019)
    * Updated GPU drivers (4.36.30 - 08/20/2019)
    * Clean install of Windows 10
    * Tried switching to different power plans

* Disabled Fast Boot in Windows settings

* Created "TdrDelay" 64bit (value 8) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers because I remember that I had BSODs on Windows 7 related to Nvidia drivers and it fixed it (not this time tho)

* Checked if everything is fully seated

* Disabled XMP profile

* Disabled Game Boost

What was replaced: Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3GHz, P8P67 rev 3.0, GoodRAM 2x 4GB CL9 1333MHz.

My PC specs now:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Fractal Design Newton R3 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-15 09:02 EDT-0400

I'm running out of ideas. Could it be GPU driver issue? Maybe PSU? Please help.

:)

Ingmarr92, Sep 15, 2019
  2. Hamborger Win User

Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278

What happened: My PC randomly hands and shutdowns/resets. It can happen at random, sometimes while I'm watching youtube, sometimes during gaming session, sometimes even in the BIOS settings.

Event detail in Event Viewer:

- EventData

BugcheckCode 278

BugcheckParameter1 0xffffe48705f95010

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 0

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

BugcheckInfoFromEFI true

CheckpointStatus 0

No BSOD. Just hangs or hangs then restarts. Was working properly for 3 months until today. What changed was that I moved house and could have rattled my PC around while changing house. So I took out the thing and reassembled everything. Still have random
    hang.

Hamborger, Sep 15, 2019
  3. DRDNA Win User
    PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Try OCCT with just one stick of ram if crash then try the 2nd stick by it self. Lets eliminate the ram from the scenario.

I would think its more likely to be the Ram cuz of OCCT or maybe the mobo but I doubt the tumble did anything to the CPU.

DRDNA, Sep 15, 2019
  4. Random hard reboots after upgrading CPU, MOBO and RAMs (BugcheckCode 278, no BSODs).

BSOD after RAM upgrade

Tried all of these and nothing worked. Still got random BSOD. I also noticed I was unable to left click the start button now. I read a few posts on that and tried suggestions with no luck.

I installed this RAM not realizing there were a lot of updates that installed upon reboot. Is there anything could have damaged as a result of not updating before installing new RAM?

unlgrad2002, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

Random hard reboots after upgrading CPU, MOBO and RAMs (BugcheckCode 278, no BSODs).

1. Random hard reboots after upgrading CPU, MOBO and RAMs (BugcheckCode 278, no BSODs). - Similar Threads - Random hard reboots

2. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade mobo and cpu: Hello im upgrading my motherboardand cpu,and my question is what i need to archivemaybe my windows?Also were I can find my windows key?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mobo-and-cpu/62c21727-4492-4af4-87a4-eab84b67dd49
  3. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade mobo and cpu: Hello im upgrading my motherboardand cpu,and my question is what i need to archivemaybe my windows?Also were I can find my windows key?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mobo-and-cpu/62c21727-4492-4af4-87a4-eab84b67dd49
  4. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Random BSOD after CPU/mobo/ram upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSOD after CPU/mobo/ram upgrade: Hello,I know it is recommended to do a clean install after a complete platform upgrade, but i would rather not do that at this moment in time.I recently upgraded my pc from a Ryzen 5 5600x, 32gb 2666mhz ddr4 and an asus ROG motherboard, to a Ryzen 9 7900, 32gb 5600mhz ddr5...
  6. Random BSOD after CPU/mobo/ram upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSOD after CPU/mobo/ram upgrade: Hello,I know it is recommended to do a clean install after a complete platform upgrade, but i would rather not do that at this moment in time.I recently upgraded my pc from a Ryzen 5 5600x, 32gb 2666mhz ddr4 and an asus ROG motherboard, to a Ryzen 9 7900, 32gb 5600mhz ddr5...
  7. what to do with it? BugcheckCode 278

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what to do with it? BugcheckCode 278: function Togglenode { if !window.fullyLoaded return; // Expand the branch? if node.nextSibling.style.display == 'none' { // Change the sign from "+" to "-". var tBodyNode = node.childNodes[0]; var trNode = tBodyNode.childNodes[0]; var tdNode = trNode.childNodes[0]; var bNode...
  8. Random System Restarts since MOBO and CPU upgrade, no BSOD

in Windows 10 Support
    Random System Restarts since MOBO and CPU upgrade, no BSOD: I've recently upgraded my PC with a new MOBO and CPU. Prior to this upgrade I would occasionally run into a situation where the PC would not come out of sleep. It would get into a loop where it would attempt to wake from sleep, there would be a few clicks, and then it would...
  9. New Mobo/CPU/RAM windows not rebooting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Mobo/CPU/RAM windows not rebooting: So after getting all set up i reinstalled windows and completely formatted my HDD, got to desktop and updated my drivers and installed nvidia experience so i restarted my pc for good measure but once i restart my pc doesnt seem to be booting from my HDD. Ive tried changing...
  10. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade: I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BugcheckCode 278 BugcheckParameter1 0xffffcd01baaf8160

2. BugcheckCode 278 after playing game