Windows 10: Random ? Icon on D Drive

Discus and support Random ? Icon on D Drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey, I suddenly have two desktops I believe. There is a D:/ drive that says Desktop and has a question mark icon it. I cannot delete it or go on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BaranPC, Oct 26, 2018.

1. BaranPC Win User

Random ? Icon on D Drive

Hey,

I suddenly have two desktops I believe. There is a D:/ drive that says Desktop and has a question mark icon it. I cannot delete it or go on properties at all. I restarted my laptop and now all i have are shortcuts and that wont load unless I go on file explorer and choose desktop folder.

Note: I dont know anything about computers, so if you can give me simple instructions, that would be great.

Thanks

ht tps: //imgur. com/a/ESkHOxZ

:)

BaranPC, Oct 26, 2018

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Oct 26, 2018
  3. ShaneN17 Win User
    Duplicate D:\ drive

So my issue appears to be fixed and I did not end up having to format my D:\ drive.

What I did was click on the File Properties for the D:\ (with the Videos icon), not the one that is my DATA (D: ) which is the proper one, clicked on restore default location, said NO to the merge, then another window came up (which I think I might have said
    Yes to originally, which could be the original source of my problem - I know, this problem is a result of user error
    Random ? Icon on D Drive [​IMG]
    ) and I said Yes (after fully reading it and understanding it this time. The second
    message is as follows (please ignore the name and the fact that it's to OneDrive, I obtained the picture from

Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations - Windows 10 Forums
    but the rest of the wording is what I saw).

This seemed to disconnect (or what ever the heck was happening) the two listed D: drives. DATA (D: ) is normal. I still had D:\ with the videos icon kicking around. I made attempts to include this in the C:\User\...\Videos folder and then ended up with sub
    folders. Not EXACTLY sure where in the process of what I did fixed it, but at one point I closed the File Explorer window and when I reopened it everything was back to normal.

Normal DATA (D: ), Normal Videos folder in the proper location and no subfolder, and no random D:\ drive with the Videos icon. Did a full shut down and restart and everything is looking as it should!

No formatting of the D: drive either, so that's a bonus!

Thanks for the suggestion though, it was definitely my next step if I wasn't able to fix it otherwise.

ShaneN17, Oct 26, 2018
  4. ShaneN17 Win User

Random ? Icon on D Drive

Duplicate D:\ drive

Okay, so as I was typing my last message, I was going back to and forth and I seem to have fixed my problem. I think this is what NovHak was trying to suggest at the bottom of his post.

What I did was click on the File Properties for the D:\ (with the Videos icon), not the one that is my DATA (D: ) which is the proper one, clicked on restore default location, said NO to the merge, then another window came up (which I think I might have said Yes to originally, which could be the original source of my problem - I know, this problem is a result of user error*cry) and I said Yes (after fully reading it and understanding it this time. The second message is as follows (please ignore the name and the fact that it's to OneDrive, I stole the picture from Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations - Windows 10 Forums but the rest of the wording is what I saw).

This seemed to disconnect (or what ever the heck was happening) the two listed D: drives. DATA (D: ) is normal. I still had D:\ with the videos icon kicking around. I made attempts to include this in the C:\User\...\Videos folder and then ended up with sub folders. Not EXACTLY sure where in the process of what I did fixed it, but at one point I closed the File Explorer window and when I reopened it everything was back to normal.

Normal DATA (D: ), Normal Videos folder in the proper location and no subfolder, and no random D:\ drive with the Videos icon. Did a full shut down and restart and everything is looking as it should!

No formatting of the D: drive either, so that's a bonus!

Thank you so much Winuser, NovHak, and dalchina (in order of appearance in the thread *Wink) for all of your help and suggestions. I really appreciated it! You guys and/or girls rock!

ShaneN17, Oct 26, 2018
Thema:

Random ? Icon on D Drive

1. Random ? Icon on D Drive - Similar Threads - Random Icon Drive

2. *SOLVED* D: Drive disappeared randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    *SOLVED* D: Drive disappeared randomly: D: Drive disappeared randomly from Disk/Device management but shows up in bios cant see it in file explorer either anyone care to help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solved-d-drive-disappeared-randomly/59882986-b162-4693-adcb-83494b41f0d9
  3. *SOLVED* D: Drive disappeared randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    *SOLVED* D: Drive disappeared randomly: D: Drive disappeared randomly from Disk/Device management but shows up in bios cant see it in file explorer either anyone care to help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solved-d-drive-disappeared-randomly/59882986-b162-4693-adcb-83494b41f0d9
  4. D: Drive disappeared randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D: Drive disappeared randomly: D: Drive disappeared randomly from Disk/Device management but shows up in bios cant see it in file explorer either anyone care to help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-drive-disappeared-randomly/59882986-b162-4693-adcb-83494b41f0d9
  5. D: Drive disappeared randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D: Drive disappeared randomly: D: Drive disappeared randomly from Disk/Device management but shows up in bios cant see it in file explorer either anyone care to help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-drive-disappeared-randomly/59882986-b162-4693-adcb-83494b41f0d9
  6. random files popping up in my d drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    random files popping up in my d drive: so recently i updated my pc and all of a sudden files been popping up i delete them and they come back this is what it looks like pls help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-files-popping-up-in-my-d-drive/480de870-879e-4540-b02f-4b3291e9348f
  7. Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive: hey y’all, i got a new ssd and i’m replacing my Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive with it i used to download games on that drive (the D: drive is the external hard drive) and after i got an SSD (E:) i started downloading games there i’ve moved all my files from my D: Drive to...
  8. Random Folders Appearing in my D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random Folders Appearing in my D Drive: Hi there, im having trouble with these random folders appearing in my d drive, even after i delete them they reappear, not sure what they are from, scanned for virus's and malware but nothing comes up, this hard drive is mainly used for game storage and other files. windows...
  9. D Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D Drive: D Drive missing with last Microsoft Windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-drive/45fad700-9b13-4618-9bec-f529c0d8f8ea
  10. DVD RW Drive (D:) installs and then disconnects at random

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD RW Drive (D:) installs and then disconnects at random: I cannot keep DVD RW Drive (D:) up and running. Device shows it is running properly. Latest drivers. How is this corrected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-rw-drive-d-installs-and-then-disconnects-at/2a3e4d00-30ae-401a-a6b7-49684ef93b83