Windows 10: Random icon overlays

Discus and support Random icon overlays in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm using just a very simple desktop which I've configured to look like Windows XP, so it is not complicated. I use shortcuts on my desktop and they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by seaghost5478, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Random icon overlays

I'm using just a very simple desktop which I've configured to look like Windows XP, so it is not complicated. I use shortcuts on my desktop and they should be showing an overlay a little northeast arrow indicating the icon is a shortcut. A few times daily, randomly, it changes to something random. I've included a screenshot where they happen to be green check boxes but they change all over the place. I'm not using onedrive at all and I have it disabled. When I notice the overlays have changed, I can refresh the display and all looks fine. My PC is always on but there are long periods when I

:)

seaghost5478, Aug 30, 2021
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Icon overlays in Windows 10

Hi,

There are currently 15 slots allotted for icon overlays in the system image list of Windows 10. 4 of these are reserved for the system, and OneDrive uses 5, leaving six slots for use by other icon overlay handlers. If more than 15 icon overlays are registered
    in the system, the extra icon overlays aren't used. This limit of 15 overlay icons applies to Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions about your computer.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Yolvi Ell, Aug 30, 2021
  3. ArZi(2) Win User
    Icon overlays Windows 10

Thank you. Do you know if there's a link anywhere that includes a list of overlay icons used in Windows?

ArZi(2), Aug 30, 2021
  4. hurleyp Win User

Random icon overlays

BUG: Desktop shortcut icons, overlay keeps changing

The problem seems to be fixed (at least partially) when I disable automatic start of OneDrive. I say partially because while the icon overlays aren't changing at random, the overlay still seems to alternate between the standard shortcut arrow and no overlay.
    But at least there isn't a near continuous changing to random overlays.

I'm on Win10 Pro/64, version 1703.

hurleyp, Aug 30, 2021
Thema:

Random icon overlays

1. Random icon overlays - Similar Threads - Random icon overlays

2. Edge overlay on image icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge overlay on image icons: Hi.In windows explorer, some JPG images not all have the microsoft edge logo in the bottom right.Why? Why would anyone want to see that? genuine question what possible functions does it serve?But asides from that GPT tells me its because edge is set as default for images....
  3. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays: I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there...
  4. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays: I use TortoiseGit which uses shell overlays for indicating file status. It is the most important application for me which uses overlays. OneDrive is constantly stealing the priority by adding spaces in front of the OneDrive ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers registry keys. Is there...
  5. OneDrive Steals Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Overlays on icons in Windows 11 become randomly replaced with other icons

Overlays on icons in Windows 11 become randomly replaced with other icons: I've experienced this across every Windows 11 PC I have and I've had friends say they've seen it as well.On occasion, for seemingly no reason it usually happens when the computer is idle, even, overlays on icons e.g. the shortcut arrow or OneDrive icons become replaced with...
  7. Overlays on icons in Windows 11 become randomly replaced with other icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlays on icons in Windows 11 become randomly replaced with other icons: I've experienced this across every Windows 11 PC I have and I've had friends say they've seen it as well.On occasion, for seemingly no reason it usually happens when the computer is idle, even, overlays on icons e.g. the shortcut arrow or OneDrive icons become replaced with...
  8. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and taken many hours of my time trying to find a fix. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes every few minutes to a variety of icons, a small handful of...
  9. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and sucked many hours of my time. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes (every few minutes) to a variety of icons, a small handful of some...
  10. overlay on notification icon

in Windows 10 Support
    overlay on notification icon: Windows 10 64 bit Pro version 1511 [img] Anyone know what that circled bar is trying to tell me, there were no outstanding notifications in Action Centre pop-out. After a while I noticed it had it disappeared. As I'm writing this, I might have figured what it was....