Windows 10: Random items being added + pinned to taskbar

Discus and support Random items being added + pinned to taskbar in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Recently received a new Windows 10 laptop for work. When I restart or turn on/off my laptop, sometimes Internet Explorer and a 2nd File Explorer will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mrauls, Apr 8, 2021.

1. /u/mrauls Win User

Random items being added + pinned to taskbar

Recently received a new Windows 10 laptop for work. When I restart or turn on/off my laptop, sometimes Internet Explorer and a 2nd File Explorer will be pinned to my taskbar.

I already have File Explorer pinned (not sure why a separate 2nd one appears) and I thought I deleted Internet Explorer (on top of not having it pinned). What gives?

submitted by /u/mrauls
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mrauls, Apr 8, 2021

2. Is there a limit on pinned taskbar items?

You can only have up to 12 pinned items on any program.

What I suggest is making a folder with all the icons [RDP files] to the machines and pin it as a toolbar:

1. Create a folder named Remote Desktop (can be any name)
    2. Right click on empty space on taskbar
    3. Select Toolbars
    4. Click New Toolbar
    5. Locate to the folder and select it

(I suggest you keep them more organized, however.)

Random items being added + pinned to taskbar ULDOs.jpg

My pinned folder is the programs folder.

RookieTEC9, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Moving pinned items on Windows 10 taskbar

Thanks for your reply.

Just in case this was a result of a poor description of the problem by me, I will explain in detail.

I have Excel permanently pinned to the taskbar. When I right click the Excel tile, the context menu shows a list of Pinned items at the top and Recent items below that. I believe these are called jump lists.

When I hover over an item on the Pinned list a push pin (), overlaid with a no entry sign (), is displayed to the right of the item.

I can click on the pin to unpin it from the pinned list.

Under Windows 7, I was able to left click on an item in the pinned list and drag it up or down to a different position in the list. This drag and drop functionality has never worked for me under Windows 10. As I noted in my original post,
    the only way to resequence pinned items it to unpin all items then repin in the desired sequence.

Do you know if the drag/drop functionality will be re-introduced in the Windows 10 anniversary update?

davecope22, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Anthony Win User

Windows 10 - Taskbar Pinned Items

I'm sorry if this particular question has been asked already - I could not find similar.

So I have an issue that is driving me nuts: the pinned items no longer work. I've tried clearing them, as per many references online - which works, only I cannot click items that are pinned (or even the software's own pinned item).

Ok so here is the scanario:

• You open a piece of software.
    • You right click it in the taskbar and pin it... all fine here.
    • Close the software.

This is where the fun starts:

• You can click the icon in the taskbar to open the software.
    • However, if you right click it and click the icon shown in the pinned list it does not open and with no error.
    • In addition, any item you open with that software will not show in the pinned list (to be able to be pinned).

I can replicate this on ANY item added to the taskbar.

Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Random items being added + pinned to taskbar - Similar Threads - Random items being

2. API for adding item in Taskbar TooBar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    API for adding item in Taskbar TooBar?: Hi, I would like to create an app that will reside on the taskbar like the following:Which APIs are available to achieve this kind of requirement?Furthermore, this app NetSpeedMonitor was added to the taskbar by enabling it from the TaskBar ToolBars choice lists:So what's the...
  3. API for adding item in Taskbar TooBar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    API for adding item in Taskbar TooBar?: Hi, I would like to create an app that will reside on the taskbar like the following:Which APIs are available to achieve this kind of requirement?Furthermore, this app NetSpeedMonitor was added to the taskbar by enabling it from the TaskBar ToolBars choice lists:So what's the...
  4. API for adding item in Taskbar TooBar?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Related to taskbar pinned items.

Related to taskbar pinned items.: I accidently pinned my local drive D to the right side of the taskbar but now I am unable to figure out how to remove it from there. Kindly someone help me with a solution....
  6. Items pinned to Taskbar disappear

Items pinned to Taskbar disappear: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 OS Build 19042.630 Pinned apps Messenger and Skype do not stay pinned to taskbar Re-pinned several times, but disappear after next re-boot Other pinned apps remain pinned, no issues Other apps pinned BEFORE the update remain pinned, no issues All...
  7. Pinned items on taskbar suddenly not visible

Pinned items on taskbar suddenly not visible: I have been running Windows 10 for over 2 years, without any major issues. I have the Microsoft Office App's (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook) pinned to my taskbar. But starting today, although all app's seem to be there, the icons for Word and Powerpoint have...
  8. I can't pin items on taskbar

I can't pin items on taskbar: Hi guys. After the newest update all the items that I had pinned on my taskbar aren't there anymore. Also I can't create new desktop icons. I also did the shift+shutdown thing but that didn't work either. Any help is appreciated....
  9. Parameters not working on items pinned to taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Parameters not working on items pinned to taskbar: I have several parameters I use on my google chrome shortcut to fix the DPI shown below. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1.05 When I apply these parameters to my google chrome taskbar shortcut, the...
  10. Taskbar pinned items

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar pinned items: I use a couple taskbar pinned websites. Namely Facebook and Amazon. These are pinned from IE11 since Edge doesn't support. Useful and if I right click all sorts of handy shortcut. However, initially the pinned icon (or favicon) was the nice 64x64 type but over time the icons...