Windows 10: Random Lockup/Freeze NO BSOD

Discus and support Random Lockup/Freeze NO BSOD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Seeing as I don't ever get a a BSOD I took it that I couldn't post in the BSOD thread. Important thing to note is when it occurs. 1. Fail to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Lee K, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Lee K Win User

Random Lockup/Freeze NO BSOD

Seeing as I don't ever get a a BSOD I took it that I couldn't post in the BSOD thread.

Important thing to note is when it occurs.

1. Fail to start right from turning on (no BIOs splash screen). Although this is rare and has only happened a few times.
    2. Lockup on loading up Windows login. (it will freeze on the circling load in graphic).
    3. Can run for like an hour or more in Windows and then I get audio stutter and freeze from like 1 - 30 s then the system continues on it's merry way just fine. Or after 1 - 2 mins of lock I just restart (hard reset) and it's fine till it happens again.

I have tried almost every kind of trouble shooting measure. SFC, safemode (yes it still does it in safemode). Ramtest. Driver updates, driver rollbacks, cleaning... removing many processes, turning off processes. Re-seating of various hardware components.

All tests show zero problems, no heat issue, no hardware issues. The system ran almost perfectly for a year and half. I had one failed stick of ram other than that nothing else. Built the system my self.

Now I have run various hardware monitors so they would record things so when I come out of a lockup, I could possible check max and min recorded values. All the processors highest recorded values are 100%, so the lockup is occurring due to all cores maxing?

This to me indicates a hardware issue with either mb or cpu. Voltages always seem fine. So I rule out power supply. It's so random when it occurs. So I contacted MSI and they want me to do further testing but I would have to rebuild this MB into another system to know if it's mb. Which doesn't make sense I might as well just build a new computer, I wasn't planning on it yet, though it's almost two years old lol...

Could it be CPU? I just don't think it could... it doesn't do it under stress it is very random.. like a bus or some bad section on hardware shorting out ... hdds test fine... it could be sdd too

MSI is good for RMA if I decide to go that route... this is very tough to troubleshoot without another system to swap components too...

:)

Lee K, Oct 29, 2017

2. System freezes at least once a day since the last update??

Is anyone else experiencing random freezes or lockups since the last update??

StanOsborne, Oct 29, 2017
  3. NV Steve Win User
    Windows Locks Up Frequently These Days (all versions)

Still getting random lockups.

NV Steve, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Random Lockup/Freeze NO BSOD

Hi Lee K.

If it was a short things would be dead. These electronics are not built for intermittent shorts.

Is the reliability history reporting any thing when it freezes?

For HDD and SSD what is SMART reporting. You can get data using Seatools on each drive. Might even try long tests on HDD's not SSD. Just in case make sure your data is backed up off machine , which is a good idea anyway.

You were talking to MSI, is there a newer BIOS for MB. Not suggesting you update, that is your call, just want to know if a BIOS is available.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 30, 2017
  5. Lee K Win User
    I have done some long tests too and they indicate everything is fine. I assume the 100% cpu usage on the hardware monitor is the problem. There was a problem with one of the Windows updates doing that but wasn't that a year ago or more? I never experienced that issue. I did try some trouble shooting measures that would solve that and of course it didn't work. The fact that it does it in safe mode would indicate it's a hardware issue?

Can a faulty power supply cause problems with a cpu like this, maybe the 100% reading of max on cpu is a fault on the cpu itself or the only way that the software can show there's some kind of cpu related fault in the system. So would be a electronic failure or a failure somewhere else to which the cpu can't compensate for the fluctuation. Say it was a sporadic voltage low voltage but very random, cpu would not be able to handle it's work load and therefore read 100%?

Lee K, Nov 1, 2017
  6. Lee K Win User
    btw bios is up to date.

Lee K, Nov 1, 2017
  7. Lee K Win User
    hmm nice call on the reliability history I'm averaging 5/10, don't know how it calculates but it does show windows not shutting done properly when I have to do a hard reset. It also shows a failure in a particular process almost every time. It's the MSI software that controls bios and updates from windows lol. MSIDDRService.exe. This is one of these overclock gaming boards that supposed to adjust on the fly if you have it turned on. Wondering if somethings incompatible, something went wrong with the component that makes all the calls for increases in cpu power and such. Though this problem tends not to happen at peak power, it has but also does it when there is virtually little demand on computer. I removed all MSI software from computer and I will see if I get any change.

Lee K, Nov 1, 2017
  8. Random Lockup/Freeze NO BSOD

Interesting. Post back.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Random Lockup/Freeze NO BSOD

1. Random Lockup/Freeze NO BSOD - Similar Threads - Random Lockup Freeze

2. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  3. Random bsods and freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random bsods and freezing: I'm getting random bsods and occasionally my PC will freeze so that I have to manually power it off. I've tried resetting windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers, etc. Here is a folder with a few of the most recent dump files:...
  4. Random Lockups/Freezing - even after reinstalling Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Random Lockups/Freezing - even after reinstalling Win10: Hi there, I'm getting random freezing/lockups of my entire PC. Have to hard reset my pc using the power button each time. Checked reliability monitor and its showing a "hardware error". I'll attach a screenshot of the details and the main screen. I don't know how to decypher...
  5. Random Freezes & Lockups. SSD Issue??

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Freezes & Lockups. SSD Issue??: Hi folks In February this year, I bought a new 250GB SSD and a copy of Win 10 Pro. This was installed on the new drive. Version 2004 Build 19037.630 Since then I've had random freezes and lockups - usually (almost exclusively I must say) whilst surfing the web using Google...
  6. Constant BSOD and lockups.

Constant BSOD and lockups.: I am getting random BSOD errors. All drivers, bios, and windows are updated. I'm starting to the extreme i9 processors are just unstable.. Windows Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 DESKTOP-MMN0NHO-(2020-04-25_17-42-32).zip 155116
  7. BSOD and Random Lockups while Gaming.

BSOD and Random Lockups while Gaming.: 1) For Ccleaner uncheck: a) Memory dumps b) Windows log files 2) The memory dump file that was posted displayed partition corruption. 3) For any BSOD post: a) beta log collector zip b) memory dump: C:\Windows\memory.dmp > zip > one drive or drop box share link 4)...
  8. Random freezes and BSODs

Random freezes and BSODs: I have a Sony VAIO laptop, model SVE14A290X, which had Windows 8.1 installed on it. I waited until late December 2015 to upgrade to Windows 10, and followed all of the instructions and driver downloads given on the Sony website.But since then I've been having regular freezes...
  9. Random Freezes/BSoDs?

Random Freezes/BSoDs?: Hello everyone. I have recently been receiving constant freezes (hard freezes, can't do anything, computer is still running but Gpu fans stop, monitor freezes, controls lock up, etc.) and BSoDs. To add some backstory, this just randomly started happening about 4 months after...
  10. Random freeze and BSOD

Random freeze and BSOD: Hi, i have random freeze and BSOD with various errors. dumps as requested by stickythread are attached. i will provide more dumps when the problem will happen again. Thank you. The problem was caused by the motherboard (BIOS P1.90), it seems that does not...